Am I looking for a SS amp?
May 3, 2003 at 9:35 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
I wasn't especially impressed with the emmiline with the HD-600, i thought the RVK was a much better match for them.

With all due respect I did not hear that comment from anyone else over the 2 days in Chicago. The RVK is a fine amp and I agree with you that it sounds very good with the HD-600's. I had the opportunity to listen to it in addition to the Emmeline HR-2 for quite some time over the 2 days. Based on my setup, HD-600/w Cardas cable and the Philips 963SA I purchased the HR-2. I have listened to it for many hours over the past week and would also take issue with the sound being thin and dark. One thing that struck me immediately is that the "veil" that the HD-600's exhibit virtually disappears with this amp. The sound is very rich and detailed. That being said I enjoyed Grados, Beyers and the Sony R10s with the HR-2. I actually did not hear a headphone from that group that sounded bad. The R10's were amazing. Time will tell but based on a week and 2 days I would without hesitation recommend the Emmeline HR-2 with the HD-600's. One other point I would like to make a truly good source will shine with this amp. I auditioned it at the meet with my headphones and a Meridian 508. There is definitely a difference that you can hear between it and the 963SA. The detail with the Meridian is nothing short of amazing.

May 3, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Joelongwood, always did want to hear the AKG1000, but they leak quite a bit, right?

Unfortunately, they leak more than any 'phone I have.......probably more than any 'phone out there.
frown.gif

May 3, 2003 at 10:54 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

I have listened to it for many hours over the past week and would also take issue with the sound being thin and dark. One thing that struck me immediately is that the "veil" that the HD-600's exhibit virtually disappears with this amp.

John, that's exactly what I expected with the HR-2 and the HD600. Glad to see it working out for you! I can imagine that combo having a good synergy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mark

May 3, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #19 of 19
I'll repeat what i said, that i didn't spend too much time with the combo, but again, everyone has different ears. Personally, i dislike the cardas cable, i think the equinox is far superior, which i listened to the emmiline with. Again, richness is relative when compared to the RVK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back