Am I looking for a SS amp?
May 3, 2003 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

shafu

500+ Head-Fier
I have an RKV Mark II and a Berning Micro-zotl right here on my desk. I'm listening through HD600s via Cardas cables. My source is a Cal labs DX-1 with outlaw cables. Here are my impressions of the amps:

The RKV does have that amazing sound stage. The Zotl in comparison sounds a bit closed - never really thought that until I spent some time with the RKV. The problem with the RKV is, some of the detail that I got used to with the Zotl is lacking. To my ears, the bass, which is supposed to be the strong point of the RKV, is a bit muddy. The Zotl puts a lot of snap to the bass, giving me what I think is as close to a Grado type "impactful" bass as you can get through Sennheisers.

Is it possible to get the best of both worlds? One of these amps is going to leave (can't afford both)... Should I be looking at getting different headphones? I really do like the Sennheiser sound and comfort. I enjoy the full body sound that has a bit of sparkle. For the most part, the Zotl gives me that, but I wonder if I it because I'm really looking for a SS type sound.

A source upgrade is planned down the line as well.

May 3, 2003 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 19
If you're thinking of solid state, take a look at the Emmeline HR-2. It's remarkably "open" sounding for a solid state amp, with tight, controlled, and deep bass. Incredible resolution/detail. If you listen to rock/pop this amp is hard to beat in terms of rhythm and dynamics.

However, I think you will find the ZOTL will sound relatively "laid back" compared to the Emmeline HR-2. If you find the ZOTL "agressive", the Emmeline may not suit you. To me, ZOTL is very polite and plain-spoken, not especially dynamic, but with what many would dub a "neutral" sound for a tube amp. Emmeline is closer to other end of the spectrum.

Can't say whether you want new cans. Is there going to be a meet near you soon?

Mark

May 3, 2003 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 19
Try an EAR HP4, that tube amp rocks. Then go for a hybrid, such as a Melos, once you're waist deep, move onto solid state, I recommend you give antness an inquiry about a Gilmore amp.

May 3, 2003 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 19
I wasn't especially impressed with the emmiline with the HD-600, i thought the RVK was a much better match for them.

Have you played around with tube rolling at all? I think you'll find what you're looking for in a nice old set of tubes

May 3, 2003 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 19
Live in the bay area. Missed the one up in the east bay. Wish I could take a listen to the Emmeline before I buy. I've bought enough (although all second hand so far).

The ZOTL does not sound aggressive, just more detailed than the RKV. I've heard the Zotl described as a Tube amp that has some features of a solid state. Perhaps what I am really looking for is a good solid state?

Is the HR-2 the "grados" of amps?

May 3, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
I wasn't especially impressed with the emmiline with the HD-600, i thought the RVK was a much better match for them.

Have you played around with tube rolling at all? I think you'll find what you're looking for in a nice old set of tubes

I was under the impression that the RKV doesn't respond much to tube rolling. I tube rolled a bit with the Zotl and really enjoy the Siemens ECC81s with it.

What didn't you like the emmline with the HD600? I might be the type that likes to use the the amp to compenstate for weaknesses in other areas...

May 3, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Try an EAR HP4, that tube amp rocks. Then go for a hybrid, such as a Melos, once you're waist deep, move onto solid state, I recommend you give antness an inquiry about a Gilmore amp.

Maybe a hybrid is what I'm really looking for... I haven't found a Gilmore versus some Tube amps review. Wonder how they compare.

May 3, 2003 at 2:13 AM Post #8 of 19
It just sounded kinda thin and dark as i remember. I'd be lying if i said i spent alot of time with that combination at the chicago meet, but the emmiline responds best with grado phones. It's not a bad amp, but it seems to require only a few phones to sound really great.

I really like the RVK-HD-600 combination with the eqinox, the cardas doesn't respond as well with it, in my experence. Try out the equinox too, just to get a feel for the sound.

May 3, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Is the HR-2 the "grados" of amps?

That... that's... SLANDER!
eek.gif

That said, Ray Samuels himself as well as carlo from this board both liked the RS-1 with the Emmeline very much. At least one HD600 owner (johnjcb) purchased the HR-2 at the Chicago meet after comparing over both days to the SinglePower tube amps, and the other amps there.
Quote:

It just sounded kinda thin and dark as i remember.

That describes the HD600 alright, but definitely not the HR-2!
wink.gif

Mark

May 3, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 19
shafu,

Consider skipping the amp for now and look towards the source. DX-1 was a very nice unit at its price but there's more authority and better separation of detail in todays products. When you get the microdynamics and subtle info right instruments kind of settle into itheir own place; so a more resolving source may help the ZOTL's stage. Another source may also give you better control of the bass lines and let the RKV come closer to the linearity you want. Mind you I haven't heard either of your amps but used to be a big Cal Audio guy (still have the Alpha II somewhere) and you can do better than the DX-1.

Arcam Alpha 9 is old but very good, quick and non-exaggerated but not lots of richness/body either, it isn't one of those "analog-sounding" digital sources. Affordable and might give you what you're looking for. If you're already thinking of certain players I think you should start narrowing down now. Or better yet bring the amps and headphones to the closest hifi shop and play with their sources.

May 3, 2003 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Should I be looking at getting different headphones?

That's where I would be headed. Do yourself a favor and listen to a pair of AKG K1000s (yes, the gooofy looking ones) through the RKV with the stock cable. talk about details! The bass is also excellent, and the soundstage is to die for. Sure as hell cured me!
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 19
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. It seems that I may have over bought on the amp and do not have a balanced system here. I think I have two options: sell both amps and get one that is more comparable to my source, or upgrade my source. Given that this is Head-fi, I'll probably keep one of the amps and plan on buying a better source. I'll post some questions (and read the reviews) in the source forum. Joelongwood, always did want to hear the AKG1000, but they leak quite a bit, right?

May 3, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #14 of 19
shafu,

I think your system is a bit out of balance. Two things really stand out: the need for new ICs, and the need for a new source. For ICs the Cardas Neutral Reference are excellent for the price, which is about $250 or so used. As to a source you can do very well for a little money. Underwoodwally on Audiogon has an incredible reputation for his mods he does on the Music Hall CD25, and you can always upgrade to a higher level of mods later on. His unit for $750 sounds like a real winner.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...5552&demo&3&4&

This combo of a new IC and source should give you the answer to a lot of your questions and end your searching at least temporarily.
biggrin.gif
Either of these replacement parts will work very well with whatever else you get in the future.

If you decide on a new amp or set of cans later, you can take care of that as the desire to upgrade hits.

May 3, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 19
If you don't like the muddy bass of the RKV ditch it. A source upgrade will not cure this problem. I say contact antness, and see if solid-state is the answer. I think he has a 30 day return policy. Maybe add a Rega CD player later with the Gilmore Dynamic. Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back