Am I listening to Hi-Fi yet?
Sep 4, 2011 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

johns78c

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys

Just a quick one - as part of a recent upgrade, I am currently listening to my new iPod 160gb with some Sennheiser CX-300 buds.  My music files are ripped from as new cds in Apple's lossless format.  Can I consider the sound to be High Fidelity?  If not, how far am I away from it?

A sort of related question - when ripping my cds, does iTunes recognise better than 16bit/44kHz recordings?  I have some 20/44 (on cd) and 24/96 (dvd-audio) recordings that I would like to try on my iPod.

I am open to suggestions for better buds, and maybe a portable amp/dac combo.  I use this gear for commuting to and from work (about an hour each way on the train).

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated, as always!

Cheers,

Chris
L3000.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 44
Your not at high fi just yet, a bit more like mid fi right now, which means you are listening to good stuff but there is room for improvement. Then again hi fi costs a crazy amount of money for a student like me (all the way up 20K if you buy the Orpheus).I remember hearing that ipod DACs don't support 24bit. I do have some 24/96 files and they were recognised by itunes (Converted to ALAC of course) 

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 44
True Hi-Fi costs a little more than a reasonable pair of earbuds, but on the other hand it certainly doesn't require 5-digit components either to enjoy superb sound through headphones.

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 44

Quote:
Hi Guys

Just a quick one - as part of a recent upgrade, I am currently listening to my new iPod 160gb with some Sennheiser CX-300 buds.  My music files are ripped from as new cds in Apple's lossless format.  Can I consider the sound to be High Fidelity?  If not, how far am I away from it?

A sort of related question - when ripping my cds, does iTunes recognise better than 16bit/44kHz recordings?  I have some 20/44 (on cd) and 24/96 (dvd-audio) recordings that I would like to try on my iPod.

I am open to suggestions for better buds, and maybe a portable amp/dac combo.  I use this gear for commuting to and from work (about an hour each way on the train).

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated, as always!

Cheers,

Chris
L3000.gif

Quote:
Your not at high fi just yet, a bit more like mid fi right now, which means you are listening to good stuff but there is room for improvement. Then again hi fi costs a crazy amount of money for a student like me (all the way up 20K if you buy the Orpheus).I remember hearing that ipod DACs don't support 24bit. I do have some 24/96 files and they were recognised by itunes (Converted to ALAC of course) 

No offense, but that's still low-fi. The speakers plays a large role.

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 44
Hmm ok, thanks for your honesty!  I haven't experienced any high end stuff yet and the CX-300's are a huge step up from my previous TDK EB-400's!

Any suggestions for getting a true hi-fi sound out of my iPod?

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #7 of 44

Quote:
Hmm ok, thanks for your honesty!  I haven't experienced any high end stuff yet and the CX-300's are a huge step up from my previous TDK EB-400's!

Any suggestions for getting a true hi-fi sound out of my iPod?

Suggestions will be entirely based on how much you're willing to spend on earphones/headphones.

Also, by the looks of it you're running FLAC through your cheap Realtek sound card, when you should really be running that through a DAC and then through your receiver. Just a thought - will make a large difference.

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 44
First, you probably need to spend around $100-200 on earphones to get into mid-fi and make the most out of the lossless files you have. Then you might wanna get a good DAC and amp as mentioned already to make sure the conversion between your digital files and the audio signal is clean and nice. Check out |joker|'s epic thread on earphones. Good place to start and you can see how your CX300 fares with other earphones of similar price range. Going from CX300 to mid-fi probably isn't as huge a jump compared from EB-400 to CX300 though.

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 44
You could get higher fidelity by listening with a good DAC/AMP on your computer and getting some top tier universals.
iBasso D4 or D10 is very good and not that expensive (150-200 USD). There are many good IEMs for that kind of money as well, I would spend up to 150-200 USD.
300 USD would get you almost to true hi-fi. You can use all that equipment on your iPod as well, get a LOD and then you can put in another amp, you won't need a DAC.
Corda Stepdance, RSA P-51 are among the best (no experience). A little bit cheaper are Corda Headsix/XXS/MOVE, iBasso D4 (with dual 1611 or single 1612), ... (I own those)
If you just want the cheapest/best single upgrade, it would be some top tier universal that does not require an amp and plug it into your iPod. Check ljoker's thread to compare IEMs.
Sennheiser IE8 are very good (personal experience).

I use an iBasso D4 (with single 1612) as DAC/AMP and RE262/IE8 on my computer. On-the-go it's Sansa Clip+, Corda MOVE and RE262. Sansa Clip+ and IE8 doesn't need an amp.
iBasso T4 and RE0 used to be my on-the-go combo and was very good too but I traded them for an iBasso D4. I just bought a Linearossa W1 and RE0 again, hope to get the same magic I used to hear.

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 44
Thanks for your input guys!

As far as the computer goes, I'm looking at getting either a Little Dot DAC1 or one of Analog Metric's 192KHz/24bit DAC kits (yes I know they're rip offs, but I can't afford the real thing).  Which I will then run into a valve amp, maybe a Little Dot or a Woo and then into my DT990s.  Then I'll start saving for a pair of Quads and some ESLs, but that's for another forum :wink:

I was considering the Senn IE8s until I found Amazon wouldn't ship them to Australia!  Now, after I bought the CX300s, I have discovered parcel forwarding services!  So they are definately back on my wish list.

Can anyone recommend a good portable amp/dac to go with my iPod?  I would prefer something that bypasses the iPod's internal dac, if there is such a beast out there.

Chris 
L3000.gif

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #12 of 44
If you want hifiman on the go, get a cypher labs Algorythm, a rsa71-b and a pair of balanced recalled customs like the UERM, JH16 or Westone ES5.

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #13 of 44
If you want hifiman on the go, get a cypher labs Algorythm, a rsa71-b and a pair of balanced recalled customs like the UERM, JH16 or Westone ES5.

Sorry, I meant hifi on the go, not hifiman.

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 44
That's some really expensive stuff on the go, i would be too worried about it being lost or stolen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 44
You need to spend at least $6,000 before we take you seriously.

Just kidding.

Going to lossless is the perfect first step and an iPod is pretty good. If anyone thinks not, go back to the pre-CD era where you had to spend a fortune on a turntable or reel-to-reel. Also consider what someone in 1981 would think of an iPod. They would be floored not only by the sound but how cheap it is. CDs are terrific and we should all be thankful for that.

I don't know much about your Senn buds, but go ahead and use them. Yeah, there's more expensive stuff out there. But use what you have. Really listen to them and make a list of what you like and what you don't. Use that to choose something else.

Don't get caught up in status-seeking and don't drink the snakeoil - it damages the thought process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back