Am I hearing my ATRIO MG7's right? There's very little midbass!
Aug 22, 2011 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

KitarP

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I recently bought a pair of Atrio M5 MG7 earphones.  I bought them because of the rave of all the bass.
I listen to them through my Macbook pro and I listen to a bunch of different types of music (hip hop, electronic, trip-hop, etc) and almost all my mp3 files are 320 or v0.
I have burned them in for close to 50 hours so far.

I can hear the sub-bass for sure and the bass when its there is EXTREMELY controlled!  For songs like those by Bassnectar there is definitely a ton of bass coming through the earphones but when I listen to just about any other songs by artists like Lupe Fiasco, Little Dragon, etc there is almost no bass/midbass coming through.

I have tried all the different silicon tips and the small and medium foams they came with.  I settled on the medium foam since the silicon ones were just too uncomfortable for my ears.  

I have recently also bought a pair nu-force ne-700x and they seem to have A TONNNN more bass.  It is definitely not as controlled but they sound like bass monsters while the MG7s leave me feeling underwhelmed and feel like bass monsters at all.  They don't seem to produce any midbass.
The Ne-700x also seem more fun and there is hard hitting bass.  The MG7's dont seem to have much impact.

So if I had to describe the bass difference it'd be like this:

Atrio MG7:
Sub-bass = Boom Boom
Mid-bass = Boom Boom

[size=xx-small]Ne-700x:[/size]
Mid-bass = BOOM BOOM

So is this difference due to the coloring of headphones I've been listening to or do I have a out of whack pair of MG7's?
Please let me know if theres any other info you'd like to know.

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 18
Your description of Atrio MG7 is about right. Atrio has never been known to have a lot of mid-bass, and probably never will be. We love Atrio on how it can do sub-bass and how it can control it, showing a lot of texture. It is about getting the best quality on the right quantity. Most bass heavy IEM cover their lack of texture and control by producing a hell lot more bass at around 250Hz and making it boomy. But bass like that only makes the overall presentation muddy.

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 18
The Atrio's do have mid-bass. The difference is that there is no mid-bass hump found on most other dynamic driver IEMs. That is the beauty of the Atrio's...since there is no mid-bass hump, there is no negative impact on the mid-range frequencies and no bloated bass. It is just deep, controlled and smooth bass...exactly how it should be.

Anytime I listen to other DD IEM's, I am very disappointed and always reach for my Atrio's. I just can't put-up with any excess mid-bass after experiencing the Atrio's.

On the eartip note: if you are unhappy with the Atrio dual-flange and the foams will get expensive, try a pair of Klipsch eargels. They fit on the Atrio stem and sound great and are the most comfortable eartips I have ever used! They are even more comfy than the Shure black foam sleeves, which would be my second choice.
The Shure foams will last anywhere from 3months to over a year per pair depending on how you treat them but IME the Klipsch eargels can't be beaten!

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 18
I'd have to agree with the above statements. If it's anything I appreciated most about the Atrio's, it was their LACK of an apparent midbass hump, which tends to drown out the mids more often than not, amongst other things. If it's midbass you're after, you'll find the Monster series much more suitable. Else the Atrio's trump most (if not all) other competitors in the sub-bass region, which is what they're truly meant for.

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 18
True statements above.

Midbass - no hump, just smooth.
Subbass - a thing of beauty.

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 18
Use the MG7 for a week, then go back to the nuforce.  Then you should appreciate the MG7
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 18
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm glad to know that I don't have a defective pair. I was a but doubtful that they were defective since there was sub-bass and all the bass was really controlled but I just wanted to make sure.  I really do enjoy the control of the bass and still miss the midbass a bit but hopefully getting used to the sound signature will fix that.  I am definitely going to use the Atrios for a week or so before I listen to the Nuforces again and see what the difference sounds like.

Navmau recommended some Klipsch eargels since the silicon tips are too uncomfortable for me.  Has anyone else tried them or are there any other tips I should look into.  (I'd like something I can slip into and out of my ears easily unlike the foamies which have to be depressed everytime I want to insert them).

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 18
The Atrio bi-flanges (shown below) aren't all that bad. They slip into and out of my ears with ease. Have you tried those yet my friend?

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
The Atrio bi-flanges (shown below) aren't all that bad. They slip into and out of my ears with ease. Have you tried those yet my friend?

Are these the ones that come included with the M5's?  (They look like the ones I have)  Unfortunately, the ones that came with the M5's are too uncomfortable for me.
My ear size seems to run in b/w a small and medium so the mediums irritate my ears while the small ones dont fit in well enough and I get tiny sound.

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 18
FS bi flanges fit me perfectly.  They are possibly the best fitting tips I have used compared to the shure olives, and sony hybrids.  However, my ear canals are weird :p

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #12 of 18
Indeed. I believe those are the stock tips included with most (if not all) Atrio universal in-ears.

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm glad to know that I don't have a defective pair. I was a but doubtful that they were defective since there was sub-bass and all the bass was really controlled but I just wanted to make sure.  I really do enjoy the control of the bass and still miss the midbass a bit but hopefully getting used to the sound signature will fix that.  I am definitely going to use the Atrios for a week or so before I listen to the Nuforces again and see what the difference sounds like.

Navmau recommended some Klipsch eargels since the silicon tips are too uncomfortable for me.  Has anyone else tried them or are there any other tips I should look into.  (I'd like something I can slip into and out of my ears easily unlike the foamies which have to be depressed everytime I want to insert them).

Once you get used to the Atrio's, trust me, every other IEM will be a let-down as they just wont have the sub-bass and the overall control and texture of bass notes.

The Klipsch eargels are the way to go. If you want to give earsonics bi-flanges a go, I am about to list two pairs for sale so PM me if you are interested, $13 shipped for both pairs.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
So these Atrio's are like a universal JH16 Pro in the bass department?

Don't have the JH16 but aren't they balanced armature? I doubt any balanced armature can match the sub-bass of a top of the line [in the bass department] dynamic driver can produce. I have yet to experience the visceral feel of sub-bass from any balanced armature IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back