am i destroying my headphones?
Nov 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

David.M

500+ Head-Fier
I bought the beyerdynamic DT880 (250OHM) like 2 days ago

but.... the DAC and Little Dot MKIII is gonna take at least 1-2 weeks to arrive. I'm just driving them with regular computer speakers. The sound is ok, I'm just wondering if I'm underpowering them or damaging them by not using a dedicated source?

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 6
That's a new way, to power a headphone with speakers
wink.gif

I take it you use the regular green colored speaker output of your soundcard? Should not be a problem if you keep it at sane levels.
Under powering will not sound optimal for sound quality but is not harmful, same with the type of source.

Nov 26, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 6
You're gonna have some happy ears once the dac/amp come in.
dt880smile.png

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take it you use the regular green colored speaker output of your soundcard? Should not be a problem if you keep it at sane levels.

Maybe his speakers have a headphone output?

To answer your question and echo the thoughts of others, no. You don't need an external amp or DAC for any pair of headphones to produce sound fine and without damage.

However they will sound MUCH better when your amp and DAC arrive
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 6
Congrats on the Ld MK III. I really like mine. I plan on getting the LD DAC as well early next year. Give us your impressions when your goodies arrive and you have had a chance to listen.

Nov 26, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 6
No, you're not damaging them. You're just not getting your money's worth from them at this moment.

I agree that you'll enjoy them even more once the rest of your gear comes in. I know I enjoy mine on my LD MK II.

-Nylan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back