Am I Deaf or what? Comparing 192000hz vs 96000hz vs 48000 .... no difference.... Help
Jul 29, 2014 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Pianist718

100+ Head-Fier
Maybe I am doing something wrong.

My set up...

Old PC (4-5 years old) no fancy sound cards or anything like that.

Schiit Modi (DAC)
Schiit Vali (AMP)
Sennheiser HD600

I plugged my Modi DAC to USB and thus from my knowledge my PC is not really decoding sound.

Using Foobar to listen to audio files ....

I am serious, I don't hear a difference between 192000hz vs 96000hz vs 48000.

Is it possible or maybe my set up is not allowing the higher quality sound?
please help.

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 9
My set up...
Schiit Modi (DAC)
Schiit Vali (AMP)
Sennheiser HD600
I plugged my Modi DAC to USB and thus from my knowledge my PC is not really decoding sound.
please help.

If your music audio files come from a 16-bit/44.1k source (music CD), then setting the DAC to 48k. 96k or 192k will not change anything.

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 9
Human hearing can generaly only go up to 20KHz. All the higher sample rate does is allow audio content at higher frequencies. Audio sampled at 48KHz already contains sounds up to 24KHz, so even if you had music at those higher sample rates, you will most likely be unable to perceive any difference.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 9
The files I get are downloaded from sites that share high quality FLAC music recorded from either SACDs or Blue Ray music.

So if human is unable to hear past 24khz why are so many people still collect these huge files?

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 9

My set up...

Schiit Modi (DAC)
Schiit Vali (AMP)
Sennheiser HD600

please help.

Not all sound cards (specially the old ones) play/record music @ 96khz/24-Bit or 192khz/24-Bit.  Make sure your sound card is capable of playing/recording @ 96khz/24-bit or 192khz/24-Bit.  I do very acceptable recordings from LPs @ 96khz/24-Bit. 
I have the Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 which is very old and hardly plays 96khz/24-Bit.  I'm getting the Asus Xonar Essence STX very soon. This one has a great 124 dB SNR and a Headphone AMP built in.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 9

My set up...

Schiit Modi (DAC)
Schiit Vali (AMP)
Sennheiser HD600

please help.

The different sampling rates allow you to have higher frequencies.  So a standard 44.1 kHz sampling rate allows have frequencies up to (and including) 22.5 kHz sound while a 48 kHz sampling rate will allow you to have up to a 24 kHz sound.  96 kHz -> 48 kHz sound; 192 kHz -> 96 kHz sound.  The human hearing range is typically around 20 Hz - 20 kHz.  This is why the 44.1 kHz sampling rate for CDs was selected.  Though it is possible that someone has supersonic hearing, the chances that it's you (or me, or my neighbor) is quite slim.  

Though I've also seen bit depth argued (stating that you can't hear the difference/it won't make a difference if we go from 16 bits to 24 bits), I don't feel that argument is as solid (our brain tends to attenuate background noise and allows us to "focus" on specific sounds).  

However, to answer you question, the higher sampling rates allow the production of higher frequencies.  Generally, they aren't audible.  Though you should be able to hear the difference between your Modi and say your PC going through your amp.  

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #8 of 9
There's nothing wrong with you. Assuming the file came from the same master, no one can reliably tell the difference between 16 and 24 bit files.

So what's the point?

Well, in consumer level audio, there is none. It's only useful in the studio where producers need the additional headroom and data in the mastering process.

I sometimes keep 24/96 files on my PC since I've got about 2TB of bulk storage in there but most of the time, I just downsample and convert to lossy AAC, as even with high end equipment, I can't reliably tell the difference.

Jul 30, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 9
Have a search in the sound science forum for: 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back