Am I crazy or what?! Been listening to old IEMs and enjoying it more than recent highend models
Jan 8, 2017 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bengkia369

1000+ Head-Fier
Been listening and enjoying more with my Audio Technica Ck100pro and FAD FI-BA-SS more than anything else.
Had a JHA Angie sometime back with so many BA drivers but I don't really enjoy the sound. A well tune 1 to 3 BA drivers can beat many so called multiple drivers iems which is very expensive yet I don't enjoy it.
Been using a AK240 and Opus #2 as my main DAP.
Anyone feels the same as me?!

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 10
I don't think you're crazy.

Spending years on these forums there isn't any set standard quality/pricing for IEMs. I've heard $1k+ wannabe TOTL bombshells and $50 2-year old IEMs I prefer instead. Add to this we all have varying preferences and sound requirements there's a huge loophole or escape hatch for those who find an expensive/newer IEM underwhelming.

If anything, time here has made me completely skeptical about purchasing anything without an audition. Sadly the amount of tours I've been with a larger majority leaving leave me underwhelmed seal my thoughts further. I'm not saying there aren't excellent sounding earphones in 2016-2017 but damned if I'm going to spend money on a whim trying to locate them.

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 10
Indeed H2O, I like to feel I learned that lesson in home audio and had I not had a close friend in the business who not only gave me his discounts he let me audition all that interested me until I found what sounded the best for my taste.
As many fine reviewers there are out here I oft don't hear the same things they here so I too am not willing to even shell out a half a grand just because ithers find it the gittest thing since sliced bread!
Now the one thing I do love about portable is you can really find some decent sounding stuff (also think gears and price ratio are improving all the time) so ine can really find themselves a really nice sounding setup within reason. Like all goods sometimes it's a lot more out if pocket for that name, easy example for me is BMW vs. my GTI, driven them all and for my I can't find that extra $10k in the Bimmer outside of just saying I drive a BMW:smirk: alas to each their own, if you can afford, justify it to yourself then knock yourself out:smiley:

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 10
I say it constantly behind the scenes, I believe tech for IEMs (drivers / innovation) isn't advancing quick enough to keep up with demand of portable audio, Generally its getting better yes, but what we're ending up with is a constant mixture of tuning variations and that's why driver count wars started a few years back. There's no new groundbreaking tech to play with so the answer is add more drivers.

I'm always saying via PM I should take a break for 2-3 years to see what unfolds and allow driver technology advance further.

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 10
I say it constantly behind the scenes, I believe tech for IEMs (drivers / innovation) isn't advancing quick enough to keep up with demand of portable audio, Generally its getting better yes, but what we're ending up with is a constant mixture of tuning variations and that's why driver count wars started a few years back. There's no new groundbreaking tech to play with so the answer is add more drivers.

I'm always saying via PM I should take a break for 2-3 years to see what unfolds and allow driver technology advance further.

Agreed totally.
A well tuned single or 3 drivers BA is still sounds better than a "marketing hype" multiple 8,9,10 etc drivers.

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #6 of 10
I feel purely as an assumption excellent sound quality can be achieved using mega multiple driver configurations. Whether the designers and sound engineers are capable to integrate them all working in unity in a sensible budget and time frame is another story, IMO we're not quite there yet.

I've been most impressed by 3-way hybrid designs, and as a side note look at the ancient ER4S, ploughing along 50,000 years later still holding ground against 10 driver etc IEM.

ER4S is the perfect example of your entire topic.

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 10
I feel purely as an assumption excellent sound quality can be achieved using mega multiple driver configurations. Whether the designers and sound engineers are capable to integrate them all working in unity in a sensible budget and time frame is another story, IMO we're not quite there yet.

I've been most impressed by 3-way hybrid designs, and as a side note look at the ancient ER4S, ploughing along 50,000 years later still holding ground against 10 driver etc IEM.

ER4S is the perfect example of your entire topic.

And not to forget some top iems are single dynamic drivers. :)

Jan 9, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 10
Tbf you are listening to an FI-BA-SS which imo is one of the best iems ever made. Very much agree with the topic in general though.

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #10 of 10
Tbf you are listening to an FI-BA-SS which imo is one of the best iems ever made. Very much agree with the topic in general though.

I usually listen to my FI-BA-SS at home as it a non replaceable cable and I enjoying more than my other multiple drivers iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back