Am I being greedy?
Mar 30, 2006 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
As most of you know I am selling my beloved K1000s to help fund a home theatre. I am curious as to why there's been so little response. Am I asking too much? 750 cash seems reasonable considering what I spent on them and the condition they are in. Recently hardwired and in perfect working condition isn't that a fair price?

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 10
hmmm me to but nope. not even trade offers. I really think it's a sign to keep them lol. I know I will miss them but I have a DLP projector, screen and some Klipsch GMX 5.1 speakers which I HATE. I would just wear the
k1000smile.gif
but then nobody else could hear the movie as well lol.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 10
There are a few reasons that I can come up with as to why they aren't selling:

1. Timing

2. The cosmetic condition

3. Your original asking price (which many probably saw when you first listed the ad and immediately lost interest)

I just don't think these headphones have gone up in value like everyone else assumes just because they have been discontinued. We saw a little spike in market value when that announcement was made but the last two weeks have showed the price plateau back down to the near the level it was at prior to the spike.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 10
I was asking 50 less than what I paid for them originally. What's the price-range then? I'm not trying to make money here just to get them a good home. Why not make a damn offer or do me a favor and lmk via pm what the value is? I would do the same.

Seriously the cosmetic condition? A little of the paint worn off is that bad? They still shine *** and tell me there's better sound under 1000!

Meh I will give it some more time and probably end up keeping them.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 10
You wanted some answers so I gave you one.

If you want to know the current market value of a K1000 then do an "advanced search" on ebay for "completed listings". Then arrange the search results by highest price first. To me, what it looks like, judging by the price the last three pair went for, the whole discontinuation announcement created a temporary spike in value but ONLY in the eyes of members at head-fi.

Think about it for a second? Who else would know that AKG was discontinuing that model? I'm sure a few people may have been privy to that information but the majority of the people that were are members here. So...the temporary spike in value, IMO, simply came from head-fi members trying to scurry and secure a pair. Now that those have acquired their pair the price is starting to fall back down to its normal resale range.

Case in point this auction here(out of the three on ebay the one that ended first):

http://cgi.ebay.com/AKG-K-1000-K1000...QQcmdZViewItem

IMO it was only that high because of the "head-fi spike".

Now look at this one(second one to end...notice how the price is dropping?):

http://cgi.ebay.com/AKG-K-1000-Headp...QQcmdZViewItem

Now the third(ended two days ago...price definitely falling back down to normal levels):

http://cgi.ebay.com/AKG-K-1000-headp...QQcmdZViewItem

So if you ask me, this is exactly what has happened with the value of the K1000 which is why I listed Timing as my number one factor. Had you sold these about two weeks ago I believe you could have easily gotten your asking price; however, those two weeks have made a significant dent in their current market value.

I say keep them and enjoy them and wait for the next spike. It happens in cycles.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 10
agreed and thank you. I really love them anyway I am just being rubbed the wrong way by the Klisch.

I'll just leave it be unless someone wants to trade. No reason to sell them now I guess. As always I appreciate the effort and support.
k1000smile.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 10
Hey no problem at all. You're welcome. Sorry if my first reply came off sounding a bit cold.

Holding on to them is an excellent decision unless a worthy trade appears. Like I said, the pricing on certain headphones(K1000 more than others IMO) seems to cycle in terms of market value at least here at head-fi. We get a new influx of members/guests every few months and many from these groups of "newbies" want to try the "signature" cans for each manufacturer. As the demand to try the K1000 rises, the market value will almost certainly go up because it will continue to remain unavailable. I imagine over the course of the next 2-6 months that we will see the price rise once again.

Mar 31, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 10
I think the price is fair, too, and I've got a slightly different take on the resale value.

There was a lot of excitement around here over the discontinuation, and I think a *lot* of people who were on the fence about the K-1000 bought a pair.

That's what I did. I thought they were fantastic, but was on the fence. They were not cheap and I figured I could always pick up a pair a year down the road. Then they got discontinued, and I started thinking about them seriously. Stock started dwindling, they got scarce, and (like the HF-1 and AKG K-340) I thought that owners would hold them. After several days of deliberation, I bit. No regrets, either.

I think most of the market got satisfied a couple months ago and people like me are skipping past K-1000 listings. Not your fault at all, and I think those are a nice pair. I would have given you $750 for them.

Don't lose hope, either. If you can sit on them until the holidays, sales and prices always go up then. A lot of new headphone owners will pop up here after getting them as gifts in January, and I'll bet that more than a few will get curious about those strange looking cans that are discontinued. You'll sell them, don't worry.

Mar 31, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 10
Could it be the cable upgrade? Maybe some people don't know much about it. Or, could be they just want a stock cable.

Dunno. But, I'm guessing peoople think they can get one stock cheaper. Which they probably can. The last two on Ebay went for less than $600 I believe and one just sold here for $650 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back