Always Try Headphones Before Buying Them!
Sep 3, 2019 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

heidimilk

Head-Fier
I want to share an experience with you that might help some people avoid investing in a pair of headphones they don't like:

After months of research, reading every review I could find, watching every video there is on YouTube I decided to buy the LCD-2C's. I was really sure they would fit me perfect.
But then again, how could I have been without hearing them?
So I went to a HiFi shop that is located a few hours away from my home, to try them anyways.

Listening to them, I knew immediately that they don't fit my taste. It was even more obvious when comparing them to other HPs. I was really happy I didn't buy them already... I would have wasted 799.- for a pair of headphones I don't like.

In conclusion; Try headphones before buying. You might have luck and have the same ears and taste as the reviewer, but IMO, for expansive headphones the risk is just too high. Even if you have to drive a few hours to the nearest HiFi shop, it's worth it. The internet is no substitution for a real life experience.

P.S. I don't think the LCD-2C is a bad headphone, it just doesn't fit me.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 11
Good advise, but some of us don't have nearby shops to test out audiogear. And some gems are only sold online like on aliexpress and might be difficult to get a hold of them to test first. Amazon does allow returns too, so that's another option.
Personally, I am ok to purchase something with good reviews without testing it out if it is cheap like some budget to midfi CHIFI. Definitely I would test and hear more expensive gear before buying them.

Sep 4, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #6 of 11
Good advise, but some of us don't have nearby shops to test out audiogear. And some gems are only sold online like on aliexpress and might be difficult to get a hold of them to test first. Amazon does allow returns too, so that's another option.
Personally, I am ok to purchase something with good reviews without testing it out if it is cheap like some budget to midfi CHIFI. Definitely I would test and hear more expensive gear before buying them.
Can't disagree with that! For cheaper gear it's not really that important,
and reviews can still give an insight in what you might get. Have a nice day!

Sep 4, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #7 of 11
The descriptions in reviews and threads are meant to give clues as to what to demo. The character response of IEMs and headphones is very particular between models. It’s not always the frequencies enhanced included but also frequencies diminished. It may be a big soundstage to some but everything is relevant to each persons prior experience.

Due to the variables at hand, it makes it almost impossible to get a good description by reading. One of the most perplexing things is IEM fit. Even if there is wide popularity of an IEM model; it still may not fit the individual. The only way to learn about fit is to try the IEM with a range of tips.

Even combos of equipment can have various effect on sound character. Finally the ownership trajectory can actually have different results for each person. At times we can actually get closer to equipment and ultimately find long term success....but hindsight is always 20/20.

The final conundrum results in either living with 1/2 liked equipment for searching out your dreams. Motivated to reach goals can be a financial sacrifice as well as an educational learning curve. Still in the end the journey is a big part of the experience. The difficulty at times makes the rewards that much better.

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #8 of 11
At this point I feel like I know what qualities I like in a headphone and I know a few people who hear things the way I do, so I feel generally pretty OK with buying stuff without hearing it providing ears I trust have reported on them, but obviously testing it first remains preferable. Wish Tyll was still around, made life easier because while he definitely does not hear things as I do and had different priorities, I at least had a clear sense of what he wanted and how he evaluated headphones and could identify the stuff to seek out for audition or purchase based on his reviews.

Sep 4, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #9 of 11
I live in the boonies, and without trying first, I've purchased one pair of cans, an amp, a DAP, and four IEMs. I'm keeping the amp and one of the IEMs, and I'm already seeking a more suitable IEM. My theory is that trying first may possibly lower the ratio of quantity of purchases to purchase satisfaction, but I can't be certain until I try it.

Sep 4, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 11
I live in the boonies, and without trying first, I've purchased one pair of cans, an amp, a DAP, and four IEMs. I'm keeping the amp and one of the IEMs, and I'm already seeking a more suitable IEM. My theory is that trying first may possibly lower the ratio of quantity of purchases to purchase satisfaction, but I can't be certain until I try it.
If I understood you right, I agree. I guess you will get more satisfaction by buying more things and slowly upgrading your system. However I also think knowing you bought the best suited thing for yourself everytime you listen to music with your setup will give you satisfaction over a longer period of time.
But then again, different people get happy by different things! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back