Altiat CAL.1H — Official Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #32 of 106
Hi all,

Rarely post anymore, but Aumkar had reached out to me as a prior early client of the Conquest EStat. I've been trimming down my headphone listening, preferring to use 2 speaker-based systems most of the time now. But I thought this sounded pretty interesting, so I ordered the Scarlet with Alcantara pads and a 2M 4.4mm balanced cable.

I had at one point a Mjolnir Carbon with Stax SR-007 Mk 2 or the Conquest, as well as an ecp DSHA-3F and Focal Clear's/Clear Mg's. Sold the EStat system, sold my ecp amp and OG Clear. Now using a Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 to stream, with output to Geshelli Erish (v1) balanced amp.

I think the phones are very solid, no issues with fit or adjustment. And even though a bit heavy they fit well on my head and ears so it's not an issue even with longer-term listening. After 100+ hours of running, I found this to be a very pleasing headphone. As others have reported, a bit warm/rolled off in the highs; this doesn't bother me on most music, especially since I'm not listening critically normally.

One thing I am hearing that I really like is the sense of space within and somewhat outside my head. An album I like that I picked up recently is Areni Agbabian's Bloom on ECM. Just her voice, piano, and various percussion. Some interesting sounds and they are often placed all over the stage. At one point I hear her breathing, and I had to turn around and look behind me, thinking my wife came into the room; it was that transparent and well-placed. And several other percussive sound effects felt like they were to my left and right slightly behind me as well.

So some eerily-good imaging inside the head, and as noted some outside. I find the whole sound pretty balanced despite the softer highs. Bass is very good in my system, maybe slightly lesser than the Clear Mg.

I'd agree it does well with some modern, electronic music, having gone through a fair amount of Coil and Gidge and enjoyed every moment. Fast, solid bass but not too heavy, and very good and fairly transparent mids to lower highs. Some of the Coil albums have a strong almost brittle high end, and this did well even without the amount of "air" that I get with the Focal and maybe others.

So this will be a keeper for sure. There are things I like with the Clear Mg's more than this, but things I like on this better too. For a $450 headphone as configured it is quite special.

I may at some point replace the cable, it's a tiny bit on the stiff side and when rubbing the upper end near the cups can be a bit microphonic. But minor quibble for now.

Finally: special thanks to Aumkar for his kindness during our conversations and dealings!

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #33 of 106
Just an update - We will be exhibiting at CanJam Singapore.
Will be great to be back for some CanJam after our last time in LA.

It has been a tough last couple of years, feels good to have some normalcy back with CanJam resuming back.

Thanks again! Hope to see some members there!

Aumkar

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #34 of 106
Just an update - We will be exhibiting at CanJam Singapore.
Will be great to be back for some CanJam after our last time in LA.

It has been a tough last couple of years, feels good to have some normalcy back with CanJam resuming back.

Thanks again! Hope to see some members there!

Aumkar
This is a major announcement. Congratulations!

It will be great to hear more opinions about the CAL.1H... and more people will have the opportunity to listen to it :wink:

Mar 13, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #35 of 106
I have had the great pleasure of listening to the CAL.1H for the last 10 or so months. At this point, I am pretty convinced you have to spend a lot more money to meaningfully better this headphone. The pros are the the price, overall timbre, a beautiful mid range, and punchy detailed bass, and while the treble is a little rolled off it sounds right in the mix. The cons are the weight (although it is well distributed) and a slight treble graininess common to dynamic headphones especially under a kilobuck.

Rather than talk about the headphone in general, I thought I would do some posts comparing the CAL.1h to couple of more expensive, but well-known headphones, on a particular track. Part of the reason for this is that I happen to have an HD800S and a Stax SR007 laying around, those are the survivors after some decades in the hobby. The HD800S and the Altiat are getting music fed by a P2AES->Gungnir Multibit (A1) -> Icon Audio HP8 mk2. The SR007 is the same chain but into an SRX+ amp.

So today the track is the Beatles Come Together from the recent Hi-Res Abbey Road Super Deluxe Edition

Without critical listening the CAL.1H render a completely coherent presentation of the music. Digging a bit deeper, here are my notes: The soundstage, while mostly in the head, reasonably rendered, instrumental layering is well done and there is a bit of depth to the soundstage. Paul's bass, which is the important instrument in this song, is punchy and goes deep. Their isn't any significant bleed into the mids, it's fully satisfying. Lennon's voice floats perfectly above, detail and the snare drums have a satisfyingly sharp attack. The cymbals however, if you listen carefully, have a hair of graininess. I find that only when you get above a kilobuck, and even then not always, do you find headphones do this completely right.

The HD800S throws a wider soundstage, which you already know. The bass while super articulate, is much drier and doesn't hit with same authority as the Altiat. While the HD800S has a beautiful midrange, the over all presentation is still a little more on the thin side, which for rock is perhaps less satisfying than the Altiat. The treble, while bright is more finely rendered on the HD800S.

The SR007 is a much more intimate listen. The soundstage is narrower. The bass is warm and deep, but it doesn't hit like the dynamic Altiat. The liquid mids of the SR007 are spectacular. And the treble is more refined than the altiat. However, on the total package, I can say that the punch of the Altiat and the width of the soundstage are perhaps create a better overall sense of the abbey road experience.

I think rock music is a strength of the altiat and although the technicalities on the HD800S and SR007 in different ways are overall superior, there is some secret sauce happening in the altiat.

(more to come)

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #36 of 106
Cal.1H Owner here.
I ordered the blue one . It looks fantastic .

Build Quality : I was little bit skeptical about the build quality . But after I spent 6-7 months with the headphone , I must say , it is well built.

The headphone is very easy to drive . I use with my Macbook pro or chord Mojo / Fiio BTR-5

Sound - The sub bass extension is very impressive , the vocals are presented nicely . The highs are little bit rolled off.

I would recommend the headphone for the people who is looking for a substitute of Sennheiser HD600 series

Apr 2, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #38 of 106
Day 1 at CanJam Singapore 2022. Was great to have Jude spend quality time with us. Met many old friends after a long time.

IMG_20220402_182904_829~2.jpg
IMG_20220402_182904_874~2.jpgIMG_20220402_200759_725~3.jpgIMG_20220402_182904_949~2.jpgIMG_20220402_182904_915~2.jpg
IMG_20220402_182904_969~2.jpg

IMG_20220402_182905_044~2.jpgIMG_20220402_182905_018~2.jpgIMG_20220402_200759_707~2.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #39 of 106
There is an official site? Thank you

Apr 3, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #40 of 106
Pleasant surprise at CanJam Singapore 2022 to discover the Altiat.

Surprisingly good dynamics and timbre for its price. Great quality too!

Even more surprising to find out that it comes from the same makers of the Kaldas RR1, which I own and love.

Walked away from the CanJam booth a happy man, and with one of the limited Altiats available for sale today.

EA29B45F-19CC-4CD6-836D-F5668C5EF25D.jpeg
564CD29E-7781-4959-88A0-B7428061E51C.jpeg
BB2BBC4B-21FE-4E03-AF70-EB8DEA4F05B1.jpeg
C9D58854-F9A1-42A9-B399-FBF10C974D0B.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #41 of 106
Pleasant surprise at CanJam Singapore 2022 to discover the Altiat.

Surprisingly good dynamics and timbre for its price and quality.

Even more surprising to find out that it comes from the same makers of the Kaldas RR1, which I own and love.

Walked away from the CanJam booth a happy man, and with one of the limited Altiats available for sale today.

EA29B45F-19CC-4CD6-836D-F5668C5EF25D.jpeg564CD29E-7781-4959-88A0-B7428061E51C.jpegBB2BBC4B-21FE-4E03-AF70-EB8DEA4F05B1.jpegC9D58854-F9A1-42A9-B399-FBF10C974D0B.jpeg
Congrats!

You still have the beast headphone stand out there :wink:

You can probs fit over 5 headphones on it... Badass.

Apr 3, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #42 of 106
Congrats!

You still have the beast headphone stand out there :wink:

You can probs fit over 5 headphones on it... Badass.
And if anyone gives you a hard time about the stand you can just plant an embryo in them and you'll have another stand in a few days.

Apr 5, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #43 of 106
Just wanted to thank everyone for a very memorable CanJam, we are going back home empty handed as each and every one of our Demo and Display units were sold out.
We managed to take photos with all our customers except one who was in a rush for a meeting. Just like every CanJam, everyone from the Head-Fi staff to the Exhibitors and of course the visitors were extremely gracious. Thank you!

DSC04611.JPGDSC04558.JPGDSC04627~2.JPGDSC04632~2.JPGoriginal_c3974e10-755e-4b72-9dca-42d2e035efbc_DSC04637~2.JPG
DSC04640~2.JPG

On a side note - Pretty excited to finally source some NOS parts for my Classic Honda VFR400 and CB400 Revo builds. Nothing beats seeing the OEM sticker of any Manufacturer, in this case Made In Japan by Honda and HRC.

IMG_20220404_112730.jpg20220404_112315.jpg20220404_121142.jpg

Thank you to everyone who visited us!

20220402_185032.jpg

Apr 7, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #44 of 106
I have owned the CAL.1h for almost a year. I am happy to report that this headphone is simply outstanding. I am not surprised, known Aumkar for many years. He is one hell of a talented and hard working guy. Not many new companies get their first dynamic headphone right, but Altiat did it which should be quite an achievement for Aumkar.
From the build to the sound, it oozes quality. Aumkar clearly has high standards and he makes sure they are met every time he makes something.

Build quality of this headphone is great. It feels like a premium product in hands. The overall build is quite sturdy. The comfort is also nice. Although I think my 650s are lighter, but that would be because of its plastic build. CAL.1H's chassis is made of aluminum, yet feel very comfortable on the head.

When I first heard the headphone, I was surprised by what I was hearing. The overall sound is reminiscent of the HD 6XX series. CAL.1H is right up my alley.
Let's talk about its bass. It is very well tuned and has a superb sub bass extension. It actually digs deeper than the HD 650. The bass is warm that colors the sound a bit in a pleasant way.

The mids are lush and liquid. The note weight is great. It actually sounds slightly euphonic. Lower mids are pushed forward a bit, then has a slight dip in the 2khz( reminds me of the hifiman sound) and gently rises again from 3khz to 5khz giving the sound a nice clarity. For those who find the HD 650s too warm would appreciate the CAL.1H's balanced tuning in the mids. Detailing is also quite good and is on par with the HD 650. Timbre is spot on and is one of the highlights of this headphone. Natural.

The treble is on the softer side like the 650s. It is non fatiguing. I like this because I am sensitive to treble.
Soundstage is not that wide, but only when compared against my Clears.

The overall sound is warm and inviting that doesn't sacrifice details. IMO they are worth every penny. One big advantage of the CAL.1H is it can be driven off any device. Can't say the same about the 650s. I use these headphones more than the 650s because of this advantage.

I am happily going to recommend this headphone to anyone who wants the HD 6XX's sound, but does not want to buy an amp and dac with it. Aumkar absolutely nailed it.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #45 of 106
Wow! The Matte Black, Scarlett Red, and Sandstone Wood trims look really good!

Might pick one up in the coming year or two as an upgrade from my Samson SR850s. I snagged those bangers for $25. They're certainly not flat nor ideally balànced, but the value over anything else up to $150 still holds up.

If the Cal.1H is really a step up in both comfort and audio fidelity from the HD600 and HD650 the $300-$400. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back