Alternitive to Schiit Gungnir
Apr 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

redmagic

Head-Fier
I recently received an email from Schiit saying my Gungnir is going to be delayed for about two weeks. I really want the Gungnir, though I don't especially want to wait another two weeks. My question is wether or not I should just wait, and what are some good alternitives to the Gungnir in the under $1000 price range. I will be using the DAC with the Audeze LCD-2s and the Beyerdynamic DT-880s primarily, as well as a Schiit Lyr amp. (I may be getting a Woo Audio WA6-SE in the near future, so the DAC should go well with that too.)

Thanks

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 20
Alright I have done a bit of research and I have found these DACs in my price range:

Audiolab M-DAC

PS Audio Nuwave

North Star Essensio DAC

Benchmark DAC1

Yulong D18

Any input on which one(s) are good would be great. I would also love some other suggestions has well too.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:
Alright I have done a bit of research and I have found these DACs in my price range:

Audiolab M-DAC

PS Audio Nuwave

North Star Essensio DAC

Benchmark DAC1

Yulong D18

Any input on which one(s) are good would be great. I would also love some other suggestions has well too.

I would just wait another two weeks. There's nothing on that list that is obviously better than the Gungnir, though the D18 has its appeal, but might not be a good match with the LCD-2. You might consider the Resonessence Concero as an alternative to the Gungnir though.

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 20
First of all, I am not looking for something better then the Gungnir, just on the level that it is at. Secondly, I would really rather get a DAC sooner rather then later since I currently do not own any type of DAC aside from the one on my motherboard which is fairly crappy and really distracts me from the music (all the electrical noise).

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 20
you really can't wait 2 weeks? gungnir is on my wishlist, if I had to wait 2 weeks, I would since its just 2 weeks

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 20
As you have listed there is plenty. If the gungnir never existed, I would take the D18 or the Reference-5.32. But if I was you, I would just wait. You can do it bro. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 20
DM Source

http://www.dangerousmusic.com/products/source

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 20
I don't know any dac off the top of my head that will compare to the Gungnir in that price range off hand, but if you want a similar experience to what the Gungnir can give you and you desperately need to fill in that two week void I suggest smoking weed.

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
Are you saying that nothing really compares to the Gungnir in my price range? I would really rather not wait if possible, though I will if I have to as I said before. (I am not worried about price)

Do a search for Purrin's in-depth listening spreadsheet, where he compares the Gungnir to a few other DACs. I think it's worth the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back