Alternatives to Westone ES2s?
Mar 9, 2010 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

probedb

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm currently using Westone UM2s with their UM56 custom molds and am happy with them but the urge to upgrade has arrived and I want full custom molds.

I want to upgrade to some ES2s.

The problem is I live in the UK and Variphone, their European dealer, charge around $1100 for them whereas Westone charge $650 in the US.

Basically I'm looking for alternatives that I can get in the UK?

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Paul
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 21
Is there any reason you can't buy the ES2 direct from Westone rather than via Variphone? I'm in the UK and I'd also like to upgrade to Westone customs at some point in the future but I've got no intention of going through Variphone. I assumed that it would be easy enough to organise something direct from Westone.

The only UK alternative I know of would be ACS who produce a 2 driver model for £499 and a 3 driver model for £649 ...

Advanced Communication Solutions - ACS T2™ Custom-Made In-Ear Monitors
Advanced Communication Solutions - ACS T1 Custom Triple Driver Monitors - SRP £649

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 21
Dammit! I'd like some ES3x but there's absolutely no way I'd go through Variphone and pay an extra 70% markup.

Variphone are Belgium (so deal in Euros) and don't accept online payment which is a pain in the backside. I got a replacement clamshell case from them and ended up with a load of hassle transferring money in Sterling into their bank account in Euros.

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by probedb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep I know what you mean, it's a real hassle.

I've written an email to Westone about this but I bet I get no reply. I also asked why I can't just send my ear impressions to Westone in the US.

Jays are producing a custom mold soon - Jays - q-JAYS Custom Molds so I've emailed to ask about pricing on these.

ACS also produce custom moulds for any IEM you can think of. That's how I know about them. I got moulds made for my UM3x and IE8s.

http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/i...=60&Itemid=117

Let us know how you get on with contacting Westone. At the very least I'm sure they'll respond as their customer service is very good.

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ACS also produce custom moulds for any IEM you can think of. That's how I know about them. I got moulds made for my UM3x and IE8s.

Advanced Communication Solutions - Custom Earphone Sleeves

Let us know how you get on with contacting Westone. At the very least I'm sure they'll respond as their customer service is very good.

I'll let you know
smily_headphones1.gif

I had a look round their site and I think I may just get some new custom molds for my UM2s for now. Are their molds made of silicone or vinyl? The Westone ones I have are vinyl and are very sensitive to changes in my ear shape. I have silicone ES49s for going to gigs and they're far better.

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #8 of 21
ACS moulds are made from silicone and are very comfortable.

The ones I've had made for my UM3x are amazing. I was expecting them to offer similar comfort and isolation to Comply tips, without the need for replacement every month or so, but they are so much better than that. The sound quality also improved with deeper bass and more refined mids and highs.

Strangely though, I don't think custom sleeves did a great deal of good for the IE8s. They are still comfortable and improve isolation, but they sound veiled to me and I don't get the soundstage that other posters comment about. I think the IE8s sound relies on a shallow insertion and getting deep inserting sleeves may have compromised the IE8s strengths ... they certainly don't impress me very much.

For Westones though, I found the ACS sleeves a real improvement. The only reason I've considered full Westone customs is the possibility of better SQ and replaceable cables as I can't imagine comfort gets much better than UM3x with custom sleeves.

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 21
Brilliant, thanks for the info
smily_headphones1.gif
I noticed the change with my UM2s immediately, I did get the UM56s a few years ago so I think getting some from ACS is now on my list. Cheaper than full customs as well! I've already had the cable replaced on my UM2s as it broke where it reaches the earphone and also at the jack plug so replacements would be nicer.

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by probedb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've already had the cable replaced on my UM2s as it broke where it reaches the earphone...

Yep, exact same thing happended here. I had no problems with Westone, they just sent me a brand new pair, but I do worry that it'll happen again once they're out of warranty. Having replaceable cables would be great.

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, exact same thing happended here. I had no problems with Westone, they just sent me a brand new pair, but I do worry that it'll happen again once they're out of warranty. Having replaceable cables would be great.

I was told to send mine to Variphone who also decided to replace a driver at the same time without asking me first and charged me about £75 so I wasn't overly impressed. I think this was out of warranty. Had I known about the driver I'd probably have just bought a brand new pair
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 21
Weird. I wonder why they told you to send yours to Variphone. When I emailed Westone, told them I was in the UK and asked where I should send mine they told me to send my UM3x directly to them in America.

I didn't realise that they actually did any of the work at Variphone, I thought they just fowarded stuff on and then charged a great big premium on top.

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 21
Oh, my only experience was very positive.

I think I may have been told to return my pair to the USA because I bought them from a US retailer. I'm assuming you bought yours in the UK maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back