Alternatives to Foobar2000?
Apr 5, 2007 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Singapura

500+ Head-Fier
Since I installed my Creative Soundblaster SX USB I decided to give Foobar2000 a try. I hate the user unfriendliness, it crashes often in Vista and not all of the plugins work. I love the sound though which for me is most important. Is there any software that has the quality de- and encoding of Foobar but is more stable and user friendly?

Apr 5, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 20
Media monkey works quite well in Vista. It is not officially supported yet though.

Time to start thinking about linux.
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 20
Try giving Winamp a try, I find the user interface very friendly once you get used to it and I heard it supports Vista.

Apr 5, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #4 of 20
plainface.gif
Dank je EnOYiN (hoe is het weer in Nederland?). Mediamonkey used to be my player of choice but it messes up AAC tags. SQ in Foobar is also better than Monkey. I guess I should wait for the Vista version of Foobar or reinstall XP

Apr 5, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I installed my Creative Soundblaster SX USB I decided to give Foobar2000 a try. I hate the user unfriendliness, it crashes often in Vista and not all of the plugins work. I love the sound though which for me is most important. Is there any software that has the quality de- and encoding of Foobar but is more stable and user friendly?

After initial difficulty, I am running the latest Foobar without problems in Vista. You have to look for the latest versions of plugins. Most of them were updated to work with Vista, usually in 11/06 or later. When I found the ones I needed and installed them in place of the older ones, the initial difficulties were gone.

Apr 8, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #11 of 20
MusikCube gets my vote. Made me uninstall my old and trusty JRiver Media Center. Musikcube is easy to use and setting up dynamic playlists are so easy with a little (and very basic) SQL. AND I can run it from my DAP.

Apr 9, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 20
MusikCube looks not bad.

Does it support any alternative output modes to get bitperfect playback?
Asio, kernel streaming?

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MusikCube looks not bad.

Does it support any alternative output modes to get bitperfect playback?
Asio, kernel streaming?

No bitperfect options yet. Nice clean interface though. Lots of promise in this one.

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:16 AM Post #15 of 20
Oooh thanks for showing XMplay ford2! I'm using it now, and I really like it. Nice and small.

Edit: This is a great player! I managed to fix the problem I was having.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back