Alternatives to AKG K371
Feb 23, 2024 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Rapidstormz

New Head-Fier
Moved over to the DT 770 Pros 80ohms after my K371 fell apart after a year even with gentle treatment. And I really do miss the faithfully tuned harman sound signature that the K371 brought. Now, that's not to say that the DT 770 Pros are bad as they're actually pretty great considering many of the "DT 770 aren't for music listening posts on various forums". And they absolutely added quite some punch to some songs which made them sound really "alive" that the K371 could not do. However, the part which made me miss the K371 the most is the recessed mids on the DT 770 which kinda gave some songs a really hollow feeling. The DT 770 actually do excel in quite a number of songs and is good for gaming which I do neither/ listen to a really wide genre of songs that the K371 just covers most better. Now if you're asking why I bought them or why didn't I do my research etc.. It was actually a gift from my uncle so I had no say in it. Also, statistics isn't everything.

Just wanted to know if there are any niche-r headphones that come super close (or close enough) to both K371's tuning and price range that isn't flimsily built like the aforementioned. As many of the popular comparisons just either fall a bit too short or are out of my price range entirely. Maybe if there's possible new releases that I could be keeping my eyes peeled for. Any pointers and advise are very much appreciated.

Edit: No open-backs due to noisy residential area (unlucky)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 10
Beyerdynamic is about to release the DT770 Pro for a limited release for $200 direct and it really looks promising. The DT700 Pro X is a softer tuning but easy to drive and they look great. I have a Hyper Audeze planar magnetic Cloud Orbit S which sound good and extremely good noise isolation. Mic pops off to use as just headphones. You can steal a nice pair on eBay and put it in hi res mode.

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 10
If you can stretch your budget a little -- $249 on sale to standard $269 -- the Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X are comfortable closed backs that aren't peaky like the DT770.

No idea what the DT770 Pro is supposed to sound like -- all Beyer claims is improved sound. They've dropped to $169 from Beyer -- if they have a return window, at that price it might be worth a shot.

https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/dt-770-pro.html

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 10
Hifiman Sundara Closed back? Umm...Closed backs in that range are tough and the Beyer's have been mentioned already. Maybe just go with the Shure Aonic 50 or the Sennheiser Momentum 4? What else...Dali IO-4? hmm...Ask John Massaria Audio if he can make something for you that price in closed back? Oh...duh, Meze 99 of course. Maybe even the Fostex T50RP/T60RP. Drop HE-R7DX. Aight, I'm out of ideas. Best of luck!

Feb 23, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 10
I would say the Fiio JT1. Should be within the budget and is decently closed to haram tuning.

Personally I am really against sundara closed unless your source is pretty thick sounding. Otherwise Forstex T40RP(the closed back verson) is pretty nice but you sacifice quite abit of soundstage.

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #9 of 10
I would say the Fiio JT1. Should be within the budget and is decently closed to haram tuning.

Personally I am really against sundara closed unless your source is pretty thick sounding. Otherwise Forstex T40RP(the closed back verson) is pretty nice but you sacifice quite abit of soundstage.
My source is laptop + apple dongle (pls no judge). Yeah, headphones with a soundstage are really cool as I tried out some monoprice planars and got a taste of it with the DT 770 Pros which is said to be the widest sounding closed back in its price range. But I can live without it no problem as you really can't have everything at this price point afterall. I'll check out the T40RP and the headphones the others suggested. You guys really gave some unique suggestions that I was not able to find myself. Thank you!

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 10
I have the 250-ohm DT770. And while there are many things I like about this headphone, it's not a particularly easy headphone to EQ. So I've been looking at other options with a more neutral tuning. And also good bass extension.

I have the same objections as the OP re the K371's build quality as well.

My plan is to secure a good neutral set of speakers first, so I have something better to use for comparison with any new headphone I buy. The Shure SRH840A is one of the more affordable closed-back headphones I've been considering (or at least looking at) though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back