Alternative to the Bose On-Ear
Jun 17, 2011 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lollo64

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! My Bose OE have just broken, and now I'm searchin for another pair of headphones. I don't wanna take the same model again so I'm looking for a different model.

I'm going to use them especially outside, at univeristy or when i just walk around the city.
So first of all I'm searching for a portable model, more or less of the size the bose and secondly I'm searchin for a model with a lot of BASS!!

Is a long time that I'm not looking for the headphone, so I don't know if there is some new models or which kind of model is the best choiche for me.

What do you say? Which model do you advise to me?

Thank you very much to everyone and sorry for my english!

Jun 17, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 8
If you want to go "on ear" again, then go with the Sennheiser HD25-II.

If you want to go "over the ear", then go Audio Technica M50.

My two favorite portable/full size models.

Jun 17, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 8
There are 7 models of the HD25-1:

HD25 II - Umbrella term for the series but usually refers to the legendary HD25-1 II
HD25-1 II - The standard 70 ohm version that everyone usually talks about on head-fi
HD25-1 Adidas Orginals - Same as above with some pretty blue colors.
HD25-C - same as HD25-1 except with a 3m coiled cord
HD25 LE or Basic Eddition- same as HD25-1 without the velour earpads and a cheaper carrying bag (usually $30 cheaper)
HD25-13 - 600 Ohm version
HD25 SP - A completely different headphone with a single headband that provides far less isolation, smaller drives, and a cheaper cord.

Essentially, go for the HD25-1 II or the Adidas if you care about looks. You will be tempted by the HD-25 SP cause it is $30 cheaper but the sound is no match for the HD25-1 II. So yes, there is a huge difference in sound. I have not heard the 600 ohm HD25-13 but I'm gonna guess that they're not exactly suited for portable use.

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 8
Thank you very much for the explanation!

I have a big doubt, that I didn't consider it before. The impedance of the Sennheiser is of around 70 Ω, but I always use a 32 Ω headphone fot the portable use, also because I don't have a portable amp. Is that a big problem? I'm going to loose a lot of power? There is a lor of difference between a headphone with 70 Ω and a headphone with 32 Ω ?

Jun 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 8
From seeing this question asked time and time again, there seems to be a lot more to whether a headphone needs an amp than simply impedance. The HD25-1 and HD25SP don't need an amp to drive them, but this does not mean an amp won't matter. The HD25-1 and especially the HD25-SP still will benefit from an amp.

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 8
JVC on ear with NC, Phiaton on ear, Jays on ear, Klipsch Image ONE(very bassy, large soundstage and loud).

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #8 of 8
From seeing this question asked time and time again, there seems to be a lot more to whether a headphone needs an amp than simply impedance. The HD25-1 and HD25SP don't need an amp to drive them, but this does not mean an amp won't matter. The HD25-1 and especially the HD25-SP still will benefit from an amp.

Ok, thank you very much, but I think that I'm not going to buy it because I already have an amp at home and I like to go out without too much stuff.

And what about the akg 518 dj or the k 450? A friend suggest them to me, but I wasn't able to try them. I'm sure that they are portable, but what about the sound? Do they have strong bass?
I also saw the Klipsch and they are very good, but is very difficult to find them here! They aren't sell in europe I think..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back