Alternative to SHURE SRH840?
Nov 23, 2011 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pancakeplease

100+ Head-Fier
This is a shot in the dark and maybe the answer is not existent but might as well ask. I just recently bought a pair of SHURE SRH840 headphones yesterday and it is amazing. The sound quality that is. The comfort, not so much. I can't figure out whether the SRH840 headphones are the problem with comfort or if it's headphones in general. My ears get hot and red and after about 20 minutes, I need to take them off because the clamp on each side of my jawline is seriously uncomfortable. It presses against the saliva glands on the side and I seriously feel like I've had some vice on my jaws. Although the padding is awesome and everyone says the SRH840's are really comfortable so maybe it just needs to be broken in or I don't do well with headphones in general?

Either way, I bought them in hopes of wearing them all day long and hours at a time to listen to music but also to watching videos on youtube and movies when others around me are sleeping. But if I can't wear them for more than 20 mins, it's gonna be a problem. 

IEMs on the other hand, I can have in all day and sometimes I forgot they're even there and I trip on the cord. (That's comfort!)

Question:

Is there such a thing as an IEM that's a good alternative to the SHURE SRH840s? Or is part of the reason why the SRH840s are so good is that they are headphones and not in-ears? 

I actually bought a pair of Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5vi a few months back when i was seeking good sound (found it in the srh840) and I was really disappointed with them. The cord was worn out and I barely even used them, the earpieces will not stay in my ears and I absolutely ABHOR the "over the ear" design and the sound quality was very bright and no bass at all. No details among instruments, although it is very crystal clear and some people do like the 5vis.

How about the UE 600, 600vi, 700? Logitech offered me a 50% off coupon code to any of their Ultimate Ears earphones because they said my warranty expired and the 5vi's cannot be replaced. Don't want 50% off on more useless garbage though. 

If there is any justification in me selling the SRH840 for a good pair of IEMs that are very close in sound quality, have good bass and doesn't cost an arm and leg, I'd prefer IEM over headphones. 

Any help appreciated. 

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
This is a shot in the dark and maybe the answer is not existent but might as well ask. I just recently bought a pair of SHURE SRH840 headphones yesterday and it is amazing. The sound quality that is. The comfort, not so much. I can't figure out whether the SRH840 headphones are the problem with comfort or if it's headphones in general. My ears get hot and red and after about 20 minutes, I need to take them off because the clamp on each side of my jawline is seriously uncomfortable. It presses against the saliva glands on the side and I seriously feel like I've had some vice on my jaws. Although the padding is awesome and everyone says the SRH840's are really comfortable so maybe it just needs to be broken in or I don't do well with headphones in general?

Either way, I bought them in hopes of wearing them all day long and hours at a time to listen to music but also to watching videos on youtube and movies when others around me are sleeping. But if I can't wear them for more than 20 mins, it's gonna be a problem. 

IEMs on the other hand, I can have in all day and sometimes I forgot they're even there and I trip on the cord. (That's comfort!)

Question:

Is there such a thing as an IEM that's a good alternative to the SHURE SRH840s? Or is part of the reason why the SRH840s are so good is that they are headphones and not in-ears? 

I actually bought a pair of Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5vi a few months back when i was seeking good sound (found it in the srh840) and I was really disappointed with them. The cord was worn out and I barely even used them, the earpieces will not stay in my ears and I absolutely ABHOR the "over the ear" design and the sound quality was very bright and no bass at all. No details among instruments, although it is very crystal clear and some people do like the 5vis.

How about the UE 600, 600vi, 700? Logitech offered me a 50% off coupon code to any of their Ultimate Ears earphones because they said my warranty expired and the 5vi's cannot be replaced. Don't want 50% off on more useless garbage though. 

If there is any justification in me selling the SRH840 for a good pair of IEMs that are very close in sound quality, have good bass and doesn't cost an arm and leg, I'd prefer IEM over headphones. 

Any help appreciated. 

Non of the Ultimate Ears IEMs sound like the SRH840. The TF10 is the only UE IEM that has a great bass (punchy). You should look for dynamic IEMs to get the SRH840 sound.

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks, yeah I figured. Plus teh build quality on the UE was crap, don't want to run into that problem again. Although I went back and tried the 5vis again and they're not that bad actually. 

Do you have any models of dynamic IEMs that could be an alternative to Shure SRH840s?

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Thanks, yeah I figured. Plus teh build quality on the UE was crap, don't want to run into that problem again. Although I went back and tried the 5vis again and they're not that bad actually. 

Do you have any models of dynamic IEMs that could be an alternative to Shure SRH840s?

Wait, I just got reminded by something. The Shure SE425, it is a lot like the SRH840 imo. But I now prefer headphones to IEMs. 

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:

I can't really relate to your problems with the Shure SRH840's as I find them rather comfortable (like you, I also enjoy their sound signature). 

True, they do get hot quick (especially if your in a warm environment) but they really have no serious "clamp" at all (compared to, say, the Senn 600/650's which I consider clamp monsters).

But as far as your above question? I mean, regarding IEM's and what not?

The Shure SE530/SE535's are pretty much the IEM equivelant of the SRH840's ... at least to my ear.

I've used the SE530 IEM's for a couple years now and just bought a set of SE535's (cause I wanted the detachable cable). And I find them about as comfortable as anyone could imagine with the Shure black foam tips ...

Anyway ... FYI ... good luck with your problem. 

Best ...

.joel

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks, I'll look into those. But geez, those cost an arm and a leg and one of my testicles. 

I think that it may be because my SRH840s are new so the clamp may need some "breaking in". I might try that and if it really still remains uncomfortable, I'll have to settle for some other option (sound quality wise).

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 9
how does the mdr zx 700 stand against the shures?

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 9
Hey you mentioned that the shures were clamping. I've never had that problem, BUT a trick to stopping that it to put them on their box and leave them for a day or so. its the equivalent to breaking them in, or at least as far as the physical break in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back