Alternative to Senns - 701 or 880
Mar 15, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880 are faster, but have a nightmarishly painful treble if you're at all sensitive that way. The 701s are also brighter, have a crisp sound in comparison to the 580s, but are not headache producing (I am sensitive to highs) like the Beyers in my experience. The 701s do require a pretty serious amp, but there are a couple that aren't expensive (the DV 336 and the Heed Canamp, for example) that many report as being able to drive them well. Since both those amps handled my K340s well, it's probably true. I didn't have the 701s and those amps at home at the same time.
interested.

Wow, from what I've gathered from the threads was that the 701's were painful with the treble similarly to the 990's. Thanks for clearing that confusion. Now I think I'm back into buying some 701's. Oh god.

Mar 15, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #17 of 31
The K701s are fantastic, but it might not suit your tastes. Try the Beyers which, IIRC, have more emphasized highs while not losing out on the bass side. The K701 have quite a balanced, clean sound with huge soundstaging.

Good luck.

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you don't pair the DT880 with a bright source and amp, that's just asking for trouble.

Why? You're adding more treble to already bright 'phones.

Tube amp sounds great with DT880 IMO.

Mar 15, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you don't pair the DT880 with a bright source and amp, that's just asking for trouble.

erm, could you please share with me the names of those bright amps? I'm planning on getting a DT880 soon...
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktheone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erm, could you please share with me the names of those bright amps? I'm planning on getting a DT880 soon...
wink.gif

DON'T buy bright amps to go with the DT880. Your ears will bleed from excessive treble. Just get a nice tube amp (like the LD MKIII).
If you get the chance, try the DT770 and DT990 as well Their sound signatures are pretty similar but they have different "eq" or frequency response? Whatever it is you might find yourself liking another Beyer.

cool.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #21 of 31
Hmm... A bit OT, but would the DT880 be suited to rock? From what I've read, they sound like they have a sound signature kinda like grado but with more soundstage and less bright?

Mar 15, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjkphd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SOTA=state of the art

Hmm, in Finnish sota means war
eek.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... A bit OT, but would the DT880 be suited to rock? From what I've read, they sound like they have a sound signature kinda like grado but with more soundstage and less bright?

I'm not sure about being less bright than Grados (it's less than 325i, for sure) but it does have bigger soundstage. DT880s require a dedicated amp though.

Mar 15, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the K-701 and the DT880. The headphone with the biggest contrast to the 600 and 650 would be the DT880. The DT880 has a more aggressive sound, is faster and is much more detailed. You'll get a much different presentation from the 580. The K-701 is a good headphone, too, but you'll get a wider difference with the Beyer.

That sounds like what I'm looking for, especially in combination with warnings about the 701s being too bright. I want something that will take me away from the Senn sound; I want lots of detail, but I don't want strident. But patience, Tim. Office amp first...

Tim

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sounds like what I'm looking for, especially in combination with warnings about the 701s being too bright. I want something that will take me away from the Senn sound; I want lots of detail, but I don't want strident. But patience, Tim. Office amp first...

Tim

I would argue that, with a good tube amp, K701's are anything but "too bright". I'm running them with either max'd Woo WA6 or (typically) MAD HD200, which have the guts to drive the 701's properly. They're accurate and comfortable; could listen on these all day long if I didn't need better isolation at certain times of the day (gets noisy around here at work). If you've already got closed cans, these will provide a good option for you, and will give you a better contrast than buying another set of closed cans.

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #29 of 31
DT880/2003 w/a reputable tube amp (I had excellent success with the Darkvoice 336i and G&W T2.6F) are great for classical, jazz. The DT880/2005, IMHO, were a dismally failing replacement for the 2003 model.

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, from what I've gathered from the threads was that the 701's were painful with the treble similarly to the 990's. Thanks for clearing that confusion. Now I think I'm back into buying some 701's. Oh god.

You shouldn't dismiss them without listening to them. I do not find the dt880 05 fatiguing AT ALL. The treble is just perfect for me. If you are not extremely sensitive to treble, I can't see why you would think that the treble of dt880 version 05 would be too much. The dt990 for me took the elevated treble a bit too far, which made it fatiguing on many albums, but the dt880 05 have not done that for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back