Alternative to Sennheisers?
May 30, 2006 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

db597

100+ Head-Fier
I've been a long time fan of Sennheisers, starting with my first HD420. Since then I've owned 5 Sennheisers, including the HD600 which I really love. The natural openness, unfatiguing sound and bass are what really kept me with the brand.

The problem for me has been build quality however. All of my Sennheisers have had their foam pads decay, or plastic snap off, or the adjustable head bands no longer "click" into place (loose now). I'm not sure if it's the warm and damp Singapore weather, but they just don't last.

So I'm hoping someone can suggest an alternative. I've heard good things about Grados (looking in the SR125 to SR325 range), but also that they are very bright compared to the Senns. I'm worried that the detail will make my ears tired after a short while of listening. Or is there a headphone amp that can tame them?

Recommendations please...

May 30, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 30
Not only are grados very bright, but they also will have almost no soundstage compared to senns. If you want alternatives, try looking at AKG, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic and Ultrasone.

May 30, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 30
Just want to add that I already have a pair of Etymotic ER-6i IEMs. I'm looking for a full sized pair of ear phones of reasonable quality for listening at home. It will be linked up to a basic headphone amp (looking at the LDM+ or a souped up Cmoy), so load should be ok.

May 30, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Not only are grados very bright, but they also will have almost no soundstage compared to senns. If you want alternatives, try looking at AKG, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic and Ultrasone.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations. I've got no knowledge of headphones outside of Senn and Grado. Which models should I be looking at for these brands? A friend also recommended Sony to me. I also found them rather bright.

May 30, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597
Just want to add that I already have a pair of Etymotic ER-6i IEMs. I'm looking for a full sized pair of ear phones of reasonable quality for listening at home. It will be linked up to a basic headphone amp (looking at the LDM+ or a souped up Cmoy), so load should be ok.

Well if you're liking the nice clarity of the ER-6i headphones, I'd recommend something not bass-heavy liek AKGs or Grados. They may also seem too bright respectively. Also Beyers seem to be pretty bassy. Your best best is probably something along the lines of an Audio Technica. A500/A700/A900 seem to fit the bill. Good clarity, with nice crisp highs, adequate bass, but slighly recessed mids, but all-in-all a nice clarity set (impressions here of an A900 LTD).

May 30, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Well if you're liking the nice clarity of the ER-6i headphones, I'd recommend something not bass-heavy liek AKGs or Grados. They may also seem too bright respectively. Also Beyers seem to be pretty bassy. Your best best is probably something along the lines of an Audio Technica. A500/A700/A900 seem to fit the bill. Good clarity, with nice crisp highs, adequate bass, but slighly recessed mids, but all-in-all a nice clarity set (impressions here of an A900 LTD).

Actually, I happen to find the ER-6i's bass to be a bit lacking. I bought it over the normal ER-6 because I thought it would have better bass (or so the literature claimed). But it cannot compare to Sennheiser when it comes to bass - the Senns definately being rather exaggerated.

Having said that, I still do like the ER-6i because it is clear and neutral, without being fatiguing on the ears. Those are their main winning traits. I once had a HD470 that sounded like a cheap subwoofer without the satellites plugged in - that was really awful.

Will check out the Audio Technical models. Cheers for your input.

Ps. Any Grado users out there want to comment on the narrow soundstaging? Does it improve on the SR225 and above? I heard they have a different baffle to improve soundstaging.

May 30, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

(...)

Ps. Any Grado users out there want to comment on the narrow soundstaging? Does it improve on the SR225 and above? I heard they have a different baffle to improve soundstaging.

I have the SR225s and i can tell you for sure that they have pretty much no soundstage compaired to my senns HD650s, soundstage wasn't much of a factor when i bought my SR225s though.
I love to suggest the SR225s to anyone thinking about buying Grados, but they are very different from senns so try them out first to make sure you like them. You might also want to look into Beyer DT-770/80 they should go well with the setup you have and can handle a beating quite well. Good luck deciding

May 30, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #8 of 30
I wouldn't really buy a Grado with intention on "taming" it with an amp. If you get one, I'd make sure first that yoiu really enjoy the sound signature. That being said, you might like it right off the bat. The SR60 will give you a very good idea of what to expect right away, so you might want to just buy one and see if you like it.

As for soundstage, it presents things differently than the Sennheisers. It isn't an "around your head" type thing so much as it is deep. It's left to right, but it doesn't have the "three blob" effect of the HD650, so you might like it better. The Alessandro headphones have a little more soundstage (they take away a bit of the "upfront" presentation) and are a tad flatter sounding. Of the Grados I've heard, I think the MS2i and RS1 have the best soundstage.

Of course, then there's the GS1000, which might be the most enjoyable headphone for someone coming from the HD650. When you first hear the clarity of that top end.... man.

May 30, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

The only Grados that I've heard (everything but the RS-2 and GS1000) with any appreciable soundstage are the RS-1 and my Headphile modded HF-1s. Really, if soundstage is something you crave you should probably look elsewhere.

May 30, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Of course, then there's the GS1000, which might be the most enjoyable headphone for someone coming from the HD650. When you first hear the clarity of that top end.... man.

The caveat being the price - $1000.

May 30, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

As for soundstage, it presents things differently than the Sennheisers. It isn't an "around your head" type thing so much as it is deep. It's left to right, but it doesn't have the "three blob" effect of the HD650, so you might like it better.

I dont know what amp you own but the three blob effect as you call it is completley absent with my tube amps. You need to hear the senn 600's on a good high power tube amp .... the soundstaging is excellent. In fact, the only headphones I cant get to soundstage well are the grados. The sound is to localized coming from the sides and seems canned no matter what I do.

I can see why you are so taken with the gs1000's because obviously they do stage well and the improvement probably seems enormous. ENJOY!
gs1000.gif

May 30, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 30
I recommend you to try Beyerdynamic DT-880. I think every headphile should hear them out because they are something special.

May 30, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by gigit
I have the SR225s and i can tell you for sure that they have pretty much no soundstage compaired to my senns HD650s, soundstage wasn't much of a factor when i bought my SR225s though.

Thanks for the feedback on the Grados. Do you think some crossfeed will help the sound staging?

Will check out the DT770-80. It's a closed back design - I always thought such designs won't sound very "open" and may have boxy colourations.

May 30, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

I wouldn't really buy a Grado with intention on "taming" it with an amp. If you get one, I'd make sure first that yoiu really enjoy the sound signature. That being said, you might like it right off the bat. The SR60 will give you a very good idea of what to expect right away, so you might want to just buy one and see if you like it.

Good point. I intend to buy online, and will not be able to do any side by side comparisons. What I do know is that I like the Sennheiser sound (open and not too bright with good bass). But I'm tried of all the foam breaking down after a couple of years, and am up for a change. Just itchy to try something new.

Quote:

As for soundstage, it presents things differently than the Sennheisers. It isn't an "around your head" type thing so much as it is deep. It's left to right, but it doesn't have the "three blob" effect of the HD650, so you might like it better. The Alessandro headphones have a little more soundstage (they take away a bit of the "upfront" presentation) and are a tad flatter sounding. Of the Grados I've heard, I think the MS2i and RS1 have the best soundstage.

It's hard to get Alessandros here in the UK. They only seem to stock the normal Grados. But I'll keep my eyes open. Cheers for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back