Alternative to Sennheisers?
May 30, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
The only Grados that I've heard (everything but the RS-2 and GS1000) with any appreciable soundstage are the RS-1 and my Headphile modded HF-1s. Really, if soundstage is something you crave you should probably look elsewhere.

Unfortunately, that's rather out of my budget range. Would love to have either pair of course, just that's just a pipe dream for now.
frown.gif

May 30, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I haven't seen any headphone company that matches Sennheiser's build quality. They're usually built like tanks.

It's mainly the foam that's decayed - both the ear pads and also the pads along the headband. Also, the plastic does get worn out for the adjustable headband. My wife always adjusts the headphones when she wears them. Then when I put them back on, I adjust them again. After a year of adjustments, the settings get very "loose". It just doesn't click into place anymore. Also, I had the plastic headband of one of my Sennheisers snap while it was in my rucksack.

May 30, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lator
I recommend you to try Beyerdynamic DT-880. I think every headphile should hear them out because they are something special.

Sounds interesting. Will check it out. How do they compare against the DT-770?

May 30, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597
Good point. I intend to buy online, and will not be able to do any side by side comparisons. What I do know is that I like the Sennheiser sound (open and not too bright with good bass). But I'm tried of all the foam breaking down after a couple of years, and am up for a change. Just itchy to try something new.

It's hard to get Alessandros here in the UK. They only seem to stock the normal Grados. But I'll keep my eyes open. Cheers for the input.

I currently have the Alessandro MS-1 and am very fond of them. Planning on getting the MS2i next.

I prefer the sound I get with the (Oops!
frown.gif
)Sennheiser HD 414 modded pads!

Buying on-line from the Alessandro web-site is good: It's the best way to get them to the UK!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

I haven't seen any headphone company that matches Sennheiser's build quality. They're usually built like tanks.

Quote:

It's mainly the foam that's decayed - both the ear pads and also the pads along the headband. Also, the plastic does get worn out for the adjustable headband. My wife always adjusts the headphones when she wears them. Then when I put them back on, I adjust them again. After a year of adjustments, the settings get very "loose". It just doesn't click into place anymore. Also, I had the plastic headband of one of my Sennheisers snap while it was in my rucksack.

While I am not an exclusive fanboy for every Sennheiser model on sound quality, I would have to agree with jagorev in this case.

There is a fine line between robustness and weight on your head. Sennheiser balances on that line better than most. The longest lasting phones I've seen in 30+ years of buying phones are the original Koss Pro4 AA's. However, they weigh as much as a tank. It's only the desire for longevity and that heritage that still makes them marketable today.

Foam will wear out in every case - period. I've had it do everything from turn into dust, to dissolving into a inky-goo (the worst) when it reacted with adhesive backing. For long term use, I would even study the construction of phones when contemplating a new purchase. If foam with adhesive backing is used anywhere in the construction, then stay away from it.

Pleather is the worst, but in most cases - easily replaced. It's not just comfort that motivates professionals to exchange Beyer velour cushions for the original equipment pleather on Sony V6's. It will flake, dissolve and stain in only 2-3 years in some cases.

All that said, Sennheiser's quality is just about the best. I don't know if the support is there, though. Ultimately, imports may not have the infrastructure in this hemisphere to offer something like the Koss guarantee. If longevity is your desire, then Koss's phones are the best bet, simply because of the guarantee. Paradoxically, though, their build quality is not among the best. Seems like car companies did the same thing a couple of decades ago - until they got the quality initiatives going in the factories, they increased the warranties instead. Koss is nowhere near that bad, though, and some of the phones have incredible sound quality for the overall package investment (KSC75's!!!).

May 30, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

I'll third jagorev on this one.

If you're just itching to try something new, go for it- been there.

If you can't change anything about the environment you store or listen to them in and you're expecting your next set of phones to hold up better than, say, the Senn 600s, I think you're going to be disappointed.

May 30, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

The problem for me has been build quality however. All of my Sennheisers have had their foam pads decay, or plastic snap off, or the adjustable head bands no longer "click" into place (loose now). I'm not sure if it's the warm and damp Singapore weather, but they just don't last.

Also known as 'humid'!
smily_headphones1.gif

Grados are not well-known for their great build-quality, I guessd they'd fair worse in those conditions?

May 30, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Also known as 'humid'!
smily_headphones1.gif

Grados are not well-known for their great build-quality, I guessd they'd fair worse in those conditions?

Not sure if it's the humidity or the sunlight. I'm a student in the UK, but a Singaporean citizen. I took my HD600s back to Singapore one holiday for safe keeping. They were in my room on the shelf, not stored outdoors or anything. Nobody even touched them. When I went home during the next holiday (just 6 months later), all the foam had gone flat. When you press it, it goes down and doesn't expand back. The padding on the headband used to be around 1cm thick. Now it's 1mm. This same thing happened to my HD420's ear cushions - these disintegrated in small bits. Though it took longer to decay.

I've already mentioned the broken headband on the HD470 from my rucksack (maybe I leaned back when I sat down on the tube - that would be my fault I admit), and the loose adjustments on my HD497. Perhaps it's just me being too rough, but I don't think of myself as someone who abuses my kit. Maybe I should have kept the HD600s in a bag.

The Grados seemed like they were built for WWII submarine operators, so I thought it might be better. What's inside the headband anyway? Metal? If it's more flimsy than the Senns, I might go back to considering the HD650s.

May 30, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
While I am not an exclusive fanboy for every Sennheiser model on sound quality, I would have to agree with jagorev in this case.

There is a fine line between robustness and weight on your head. Sennheiser balances on that line better than most. The longest lasting phones I've seen in 30+ years of buying phones are the original Koss Pro4 AA's. However, they weigh as much as a tank. It's only the desire for longevity and that heritage that still makes them marketable today.

Foam will wear out in every case - period. I've had it do everything from turn into dust, to dissolving into a inky-goo (the worst) when it reacted with adhesive backing. For long term use, I would even study the construction of phones when contemplating a new purchase. If foam with adhesive backing is used anywhere in the construction, then stay away from it.

Pleather is the worst, but in most cases - easily replaced. It's not just comfort that motivates professionals to exchange Beyer velour cushions for the original equipment pleather on Sony V6's. It will flake, dissolve and stain in only 2-3 years in some cases.

All that said, Sennheiser's quality is just about the best. I don't know if the support is there, though. Ultimately, imports may not have the infrastructure in this hemisphere to offer something like the Koss guarantee. If longevity is your desire, then Koss's phones are the best bet, simply because of the guarantee. Paradoxically, though, their build quality is not among the best. Seems like car companies did the same thing a couple of decades ago - until they got the quality initiatives going in the factories, they increased the warranties instead. Koss is nowhere near that bad, though, and some of the phones have incredible sound quality for the overall package investment (KSC75's!!!).

I see your point about the design being a compromise. It's just that when you shell out for a HD600, you'd expect more than 3 years of service (more if the headphone is used only occassionally). I'm ok with 50 bucks headphones falling apart after a few years service, but you'd think the higher priced ones would be more durable. Good thing I've not got a HE90! Would cry if that fell apart.

And 1 more from my memory to add to the list - HD565 Ovations. The cable connection gets rather loose after a while. Then you get intermittent sound coming from the drivers. If you've got a pair of these, never detach the cable. Once you detach them the problem starts.

Funny thing is that my Dad's got a pair of Stax from the mid-1960s. The leather cushions are all cracked now. But otherwise they're in better shape than my HD600s. When I bought my HD600s, I thought they'd last as long. Guess they don't build them like the used to.

May 30, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Will check out the DT770-80. It's a closed back design - I always thought such designs won't sound very "open" and may have boxy colourations.

Tone and soundstaging of the DT770 is actually quite good - there is almost no "boxiness". But if you are interested in a good closed can, you better choose the AT A900. It is on par with the DT770 in most respects and plays a much wider range of music genres IMO.

I'd exchange my Beyer any time against a A900. Anyone interested?
tongue.gif

May 30, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #26 of 30
Don't at least some of the Senns have user-replaceable pads?

If you love the Sennheiser sound, you might just order replacement pads from them at regular intervals. Annoying, yes, but I think any headphone that has foam incorporated into their pads will have the same problem.

As for plastic snapping off, I don't know. The 280 Pro has a plastic headband that eventually cracks or splinters, due to the tight fit of the pads against your ears (which is why they isolate so well). It's just a design issue. I don't know about other models breaking.

May 30, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanChan
Don't at least some of the Senns have user-replaceable pads?

Yes indeed. Both the headband and earpad foam on the Senn 580/600 series are easily user-replaceable.

May 30, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Yes indeed. Both the headband and earpad foam on the Senn 580/600 series are easily user-replaceable.

Do you guys know a cheap place to get the replacement parts? I went to http://www.sennheiserspares.com/ after reading your posts.

Earpads - £39.25
Headband - £67.50
Delivery - £3.00
Total: £109.75

And a brandnew boxed HD600 goes for about £150....
frown.gif
Ouch!

May 30, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #29 of 30
"The earpads have to be replaced from time to time for hygienic reasons".
This is an excerpt from Sennheiser's manual (HD600, but also others).
Check it here

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm.nsf/resources/HD600_bda.pdf/$File/HD600_bda.pdf

You even get the order number!

Regards,

Alberto

EDIT: db597, the german spare part shop has them cheaper, at least the earpads (30 pounds)
http://www.se-shop.de/liste.php?uebe...ige=Ohrpolster
It is still a steal, nevertheless... I bet there is a cheaper place, but I don't know where...

May 30, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #30 of 30
Tit, once again I previewed a post but didn't post it.
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back