Alternative to Sennheiser IE 80?
Feb 6, 2020 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

xMisterVx

New Head-Fier
A couple years ago I went around local shops trying to find IEMs that would sound pleasing. The selection is somewhat limited, but I ended up moving the IE80 for its wide soundstage and relatively neutral sound and still rather powerful bass (though that was secondary). I think I've tried some models that were seen as good (Grado and Klipsch?.. ) around the 150-200 mark.

I think I've lost my pair... So before I buy another used pair on eBay, I just thought I'd check - is there anything that goes in the same direction but perhaps delivers a better bang for the buck?

Cheers.

Edit: forgot music genre preferences. Classical, jazz, rock and metal with a splash of newer stuff here and there.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 15
A couple years ago I went around local shops trying to find IEMs that would sound pleasing. The selection is somewhat limited, but I ended up moving the IE80 for its wide soundstage and relatively neutral sound and still rather powerful bass (though that was secondary). I think I've tried some models that were seen as good (Grado and Klipsch?.. ) around the 150-200 mark.

I think I've lost my pair... So before I buy another used pair on eBay, I just thought I'd check - is there anything that goes in the same direction but perhaps delivers a better bang for the buck?

Cheers.

Edit: forgot music genre preferences. Classical, jazz, rock and metal with a splash of newer stuff here and there.

I don't have the IE80, but I have the IE80S, and the BLON BL-03 can hit around the same amount of sound quality at 10% the price (sub $30 USD).

Maybe u can check out more reviews about the BLON BL-03 or ask others at the dedicated BLON thread (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blon-in-ear-monitors-impressions-thread.916702/). It has superb timbre and tonality, but technicalities are not the best. And it might require some aftermarket tips +/- cables due to the shorter nozzle, the stock tips are pretty lousy. Once you get a good fit with a longer nozzle (eg spinfits) or a spacer mod, then the magical sound starts. Great for jazz and classical due to the great timbre.

Good luck in your search!

Feb 6, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 15
Cheers. They're cheap enough and have enough rave reviews to simply get them and try. I have my doubts that they really perform as well (like in all other hobbies, there are reasons for a difference in price), but let's see.

Still open to other suggestions.

Feb 6, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 15
Cheers. They're cheap enough and have enough rave reviews to simply get them and try. I have my doubts that they really perform as well (like in all other hobbies, there are reasons for a difference in price), but let's see.

Still open to other suggestions.

Well I have been using IEMs for the past 15 years and previously would have agreed with you about price equating to quality. Previously bought Beyerdynamics, Shures, Westones, Sennheisers, Phillips etc. But the past 3 years, I realize CHIFI has really caught up to the western budget-midfi segment in providing similar sound quality at a fraction of the cost. Most of the budget-midfi western gear are made in China anyways, these guys are quite innovative in doing reverse engineering and OEMs and don't have that stringent licensing and patent rights and marketing that western gear has. The ethics about it are another story, though I've really saved a lot of $ to get a small taste of audiophiledom with CHIFI instead of paying much more for western products.

In fact I own/owned about 10 other dynamic driver IEMs from CHIFI the past few years, and IMHO, the Sennheiser IE80S has the worst price to performance ratio compared to the rest in terms of technical performance. Not cost effective at all for me and I'm looking to sell it on. The BLON BL-03 would be a good entry level single dynamic driver set, it can maybe compete with gear at about the $100 USD range, but its technicalities are not the best as the above post. It is not the best for genres that have lots of competing instruments or complex riffs, but it is superb for slower genres that incorporate a lot of acoustic instruments like classical, jazz, acoustic.

There are better CHIFI dynamic driver sets I have that eat the Sennheiser IE80S for breakfast, but they are more expensive than the BL-03. If u are keen to consider those other options, u can PM me, but otherwise the BL-03 in terms of price to performance ratio is very good IMHO.

Feb 6, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 15
Cheers for the explanation. Would like to have a list or some pointers for what to explore next, yeah.

Well in general at the budget price range, multi BA (balanced armatures)/hybrid sets generally have better technicalities (instrument seperation, clarity, details, imaging) compared to single dynamic driver sets (which generally have better timbre/tonality). The dynamic driver bass generally has better quantity and also extends lower in the subbass than a balanced armature bass, and the dynamic driver type bass usually has a longer decay and moves more air. Hybrids combine the best of both worlds, but sometimes at the budget segment, they may have crossover or cohesion issues.

The Senheisser IE80 and IE80S and the BLON BL-03 are dynamic driver type IEMs, sounding more "natural" and "organic" compared to the hybrid/multi BA counterparts, maybe at the expense of poorer technicalities. If u listen to genres with predominantly acoustic instruments like jazz and classical, then dynamic driver type IEMs would be better for the timbre. If however, u listen to a lot of complex instrumentation/competing instruments or synthetic fast instruments like EDM, then maybe go for a multi BA/hybrids.

It seems from your first post that you like classical and jazz, so maybe try a dynamic driver type IEM? Maybe the others can chime in too, but there's lots of good CHIFI options since 2019 which won't burn a hole in the pocket.

The BLON BL-03 is probably an entry level set for dynamic drivers. Other dynamic driver type sets that are improvements over the BLON BL-03 (though at diminishing returns), would include sets like:
- Toneking Ninetails -> two tunable filters to give 9 sound signatures. Very versatile. Great timbre and tonality. Looks weird though, but fit is comfortable. Poor isolation.
- DUNU DM-480 -> U shaped tuning, very good technicalities that sound like a multi BA set. Great subbass quantities and extension. Timbre average for a dynamic driver setup. Excellent isolation.
- KBEAR Diamond -> an upgrade over the BL-03 in timbre and technicalities and other areas.
- TFZ No. 3 -> basshead set, U shaped sound signature. Good technicalities but can be a bit fatiguing at the upper mids section due to the boosted upper mids.

If u wanna consider a multi BA/hybrid CHIFI, there's outstanding reviews on headfi for the TRN V90, TRN BA5, KZ ZSX, CCA C12. They all seem to be sidegrades of each other with differences in sound signature, so maybe read reviews on these sets or ask the others in these threads:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #7 of 15
Crinacle's list has been an extremely useful source of information for me on my journey:
https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/
I have listened to a good number of the IEMs that are standing out in price/performance according to Crinacle's ratings and found that his ratings generally match my impressions.

I now own the Sony EX1000, Sony EX800ST, modded JVC FD02 which is basically identical to the FDX1, and the Astell & Kern T8iE MKII

Out of those I'd call the EX1000 the best value, unbelievably clear and detailed and has a bass QUALITY to die for. But it is a little intense, not really that relaxing. Soundstage also amazing. Handily beats the EX800ST though. Downside is high wind noise and low isolation. I bought the EX1000 for <$300 used

Second in terms of value is the JVC FD02/FDX1. It does not have the extreme clarity, detail or textured bass as the EX1000, but is beautifully balanced, has excellent timbre and presents the music in a smooth and enjoyable way. Downside is a little challenging fit.

Another IEM that I found outstanding during trials was the Sony XBA N3, that one might also suit your needs.

Hope that helps.
In no way this is a comprehensive list, but it's what I ended up with as the best deals for my listening after an intense 1,5 year IEM phase.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 15
One thing I forgot to add - I am also listening to classic and jazz quite a lot.
For those 2 genres the EX1000 and EX800ST are very, very good, with solid, textured and extended bass, high level of detail and an open soundstage.
Mids are a little thinner thoug, and for example violins can lack some body.

But they are somewhat unforgiving and poorly recorded albums are not fun to listen to. So maybe not the best option for metal or rock.

Feb 7, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 15
One thing I forgot to add - I am also listening to classic and jazz quite a lot.
For those 2 genres the EX1000 and EX800ST are very, very good, with solid, textured and extended bass, high level of detail and an open soundstage.
Mids are a little thinner thoug, and for example violins can lack some body.

But they are somewhat unforgiving and poorly recorded albums are not fun to listen to. So maybe not the best option for metal or rock.
Reviews say though that the EX800ST can also serve bassheads (not that I'm one, but that it's more forgiving that the 1000).

The only thing is, I was planning to use them with my LG V35 (it has a DAC), but it might be too weak a source for them?

Feb 7, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 15
I pulled out my 3 IEMs and did a quick comparison with 2 music pieces:
Jazzkantine: https://tidal.com/browse/track/683003
Metallica, Nothing Else Matters: https://tidal.com/browse/track/1870537
I listened with the Chord Mojo and a 2018 iPad Pro (should compare well to the LG35)

While the Mojo gives better clarity, more detail and a bigger soundstage, the general findings are similar between Mojo and iPad.
The EX1000 is the king of clarity and open soundstage.
The EX800 shrinks the soundstage and loses clarity in comparison, but retains the basic signature with a little less sub bass and treble spike. Still very good.
The FD02 is between the two in terms of clarity, has more sub bass quantity but less texture, more forward upper mids but smoother, spike free treble.

With the song "Jazzkantine" the EX1000 is amazing, the EX800 is very good but a bit veiled in comparison and with less extension on both ends.
The FD02 is smooth and impactful, has better clarity than the EX800 but feels less neutral, has more emphasis on sub bass, guitar and vibraphone, but with a silky, liquid, shimmery quality in the upper frequencies. A little romantic, fun, but more colored.

With Nothing Else Matters, it becomes clear wha the EX800 is considered more forgiving. Both the EX1000 and EX800 have a great general tuning for this, except the treble spike which makes the cymbals sound harsch and brittle. The added clarity of the EX1000 makes that much more prominent, and since the cymbals are there all the time, tihs is quite fatiguing. The EX800's also has it, but to a lesser degree, and it becomes bearable.
The FD02 with the smooth treble has no such issue, but since it emphasizes the sub bass and upper mids, the mid bass has a bit less impact.

In terms of drivability, none of the 3 are very hard to drive and the LG35 should have no problem.
Somehow seems like you could give the EX800 a try if you can get a hold of them. I recently sold my second pair to an owner of the $1100 Campfire Andromeda and he loves them :)

Feb 7, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 15
Thanks, that's very detailed and helpful!

I see a couple EX800STs used from Japan for little money on eBay, so this should be a decent option to try. It's not like they would be fakes at this point in the product lifecycle, right.

Feb 8, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #13 of 15
Never heard of fake EX800STs.
I think you can still buy new ones directly from Amazon.jp if you create an account there.
Amazon will charge you the total sum including shipping and import costs at checkout.
Should be in the range of $/€230...250

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 15
With Nothing Else Matters, it becomes clear wha the EX800 is considered more forgiving. Both the EX1000 and EX800 have a great general tuning for this, except the treble spike which makes the cymbals sound harsch and brittle. The added clarity of the EX1000 makes that much more prominent, and since the cymbals are there all the time, tihs is quite fatiguing. The EX800's also has it, but to a lesser degree, and it becomes bearable.
I keep coming back to this thought... Is it bearable or still enjoyable?

I guess one of the reasons I liked the IE80 was that it even worked well with MP3s if I ever happened to listen to something (as background or to sample before buying or whatever). Obviously this wouldn't be its main selling point, but I do wonder if rock and metal wouldn't sound too bright / harsh.

Feb 17, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #15 of 15
I keep coming back to this thought... Is it bearable or still enjoyable?

I guess one of the reasons I liked the IE80 was that it even worked well with MP3s if I ever happened to listen to something (as background or to sample before buying or whatever). Obviously this wouldn't be its main selling point, but I do wonder if rock and metal wouldn't sound too bright / harsh.

Which bass setting are you using on the IE80?
If you look at the attached graph comparison with the ie80 at minimum bass level, it actually has much more aggressive treble spikes than the EX800.

IMO it comes down to whether you like smoother treble or more bite and crunch, and if you like the IE80 treble the EX800 is a little smoother, and the 2kHz boost will provide a more balanced mid section. Also, the example with "Nothing Else Matters" is pretty extreme - and I think pretty much any IEM will sound aggressive with that track. And I am not sure if the recording is well done.

The option to boost the bass with the EX800 by taping the vent and punching a hole in it with a needle would give you the option to change the signature.

Final word - I sold one EX800 to a guy who has the Campfire Andromenda and he loves the EX800.
It is a really good IEM for the money. :)

Unbenannt.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back