Alternative to iPod with video support
Apr 2, 2010 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Handeh

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to replace my iPod classic (80GB) with something that has more support software wise.

I'm looking for it to have 3 main points:
-MicroSD card slot, this is a must.
-Reasonable size, maybe 8GB lowest?
-Video support, mp4, It doesn't have to be great resolution its just a necessity.

Obviously a lossless format would be great, and I would really appreciate something with the support for FLAC, but any one is okay.

Any ideas?

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Handeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking to replace my iPod classic (80GB) with something that has more support software wise.

I'm looking for it to have 3 main points:
-Video support, mp4, It doesn't have to be great resolution its just a necessity.

Obviously a lossless format would be great, and I would really appreciate something with the support for FLAC, but any one is okay.

Any ideas?

it depends on how much you want to spend, Cowan as suggested is a great choice but if you want to keep the price down the Fuze is an excellent choice as well Great Sound Quality and supports the formats you listed.
Video is good but not great but it's better than what most people represent.
I think in realistic terms this is a 1.9 inch screen I'm not going to gather the family around it and watch the Dark Night on it.
And 8G around $80, IMHO one of the best deals on the market.

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 26
The Cowon J3 is coming out globally soon - 32gb + 32gb microSD expansion, great video support, does lossless, and the battery life will be best of breed. Worth the wait IMO.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Given these requirements, it sounds like you might as well just get a 160GB ipod.

The extra 80 gigs, + whatever amount of gigs you'd downgrade to if you got something else, is well worth not carrying around 5 or 6 SD cards... Unless the functionality you're looking for is some bizarre trading SD cards hobby.

The video support having to be mp4 limits you quite a bit. I'm assuming you mean h264 since mp4 is just a container.

There is the Archos 5/7, but those are both supremely buggy according to reviews, so I wouldn't get them (though their video support on paper, and their 500 gig harddrives are so tragically wasted).

Cowon J3... I personally wouldn't go with Cowon until their product has been out a few months. They tend to use their consumers as beta testers. Cowon does tend to offer more audio codecs though, but their video support does not often include 'mp4' or rather, h264. Make sure you check around before you buy if you're really against transcoding your videos.

gl gl

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 26
Sorry, I didn't mean mp4, I don't know why I said that :S

Any is fine, I'll be converting to whatever format is acceptable.

Also I only need about 40GB or so, thats why a 32GB and an 8GB SD card would be wicked, but I can go as low as 8GB internal memory if needed.

It has to be small enough to fit in my pocket though, maybe as big as a big blackberry or iphone or so at the largest.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SFLO:2

It meets everyone of your requirements

Except for battery life, which tanks @10hrs for audio w/the s:flo2. The Cowon J3 is more in line.

C/O DapReview.net:

Quote:

Cowon officially announces the J3
nonew_comments.png
comment: 29 | Tuesday, March 30 (2010) 10:21PM | Posted by Michael
cowon_j3.jpg
Well would you look at that, Cowon has officially announced the J3. The player has already received a 2010 reddot design award, and deservingly so from the looks of it. The J3 actually has a lot in common with the S9, but one-ups it by adding a microSD expansion slot. It also gets a nice bump in battery life, with an estimated 64 hours of audio playback time.

Cowon J3 Specs

1. Capacity: 4, 8, 16, and 32GB with microSD expansion
  2. Display: 3.3" AMOLED touchscreen (480 x 272 resolution)
  3. Audio: MP3, WMA, OGG, FLAC, APE, and WAV
  4. Video: AVI, Divx, Xvid, and WMV (supports resolutions up to 480 x 272 at 30fps)
  5. Bluetooth/FM Tuner/recorder/DMB (for Korea)
  6. Voice and Line-in recorder
  7. Extras: Flash games, calculator, TXT
  8. Battery life: 64 hours for Audio, 11 hours for video
  9. Dimensions: 56.0 x 106.6 x 9.9mm (weight: 76g)

The J3 is one sexy looking device. It'd be even sexier with some WiFi love, but I won't complain. Pricing ranges from 189,000 to 329,000 Korean Won, or roughly $167 to $291US (add another 30,000 KRW/$26 for DMB models).

Cowon J3 Product Page

sources:

engadget
ZDNet

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 26
I've been doing a lot of research on the S:Flo2 and it does meet all of my requirements, except the firmware is junk, supposedly.

It apparently has many issues with the touch screen being to responsive, the shuffle feature sucks, the song listing and organization is bad, etc.

J3 looks good, expensive, but good.

EDIT:

When is the J3 coming out in Canada/ USA?

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's always the Zune HD if you're not on a Mac or Linux.

Does the ZuneHD not sync with any other software other than the Zune player?

hmm...

no microsd slot though

Apr 3, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by lasraik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If video playback is on your list I wouldn't go with the Fuze.

agreed.

its like sh!t seriously..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back