Alternative to IEMs? Clip ons? Irregular Ears
Aug 7, 2009 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

baxbunny

New Head-Fier
Hi head-fi,
First off, this is my first post, but i've been reading this forum on and off for a while now, and the information and opinions here are always great. But now I finally have a question to ask you all.

I want to get portable headphones. My budget is flexible right now, but thats not the biggest problem. I am really picky... and my ears are irregular. I've tried many IEM's and buds and they just don't like my ears. I had them checked out and i do have different sized earholes and different shaped ones so it makes wearing those IEMs and earbuds weird. For example, any cheapo in ears would fit perfectly with one small cusion and one medium cusion on separate ears. This doesn't really work cause the sound comes out differently with the different cusions. They also start hurting after 15 min or so, and get irritating.
So basically i've avoided in ear headphones. I've tried etymotic er6's, shure e3cs, senn cx300's, ultimate ear super.fi.3, shure e530, and a bunch of sony ones from friends, and none of them appealed to me. i even kept some for a week to see if they would "break in" no luck...
So my next choice was clip on or behind the neck headphones. I have a pair of iGrado's and a bunch of clip on sony ones. The iGrado's are good, but a bit bulky to store in a backpack or pocket. The clip on ones from sony which are just 2 clip ons with a cord connecting them store well, and one set has a built in retractable cord, but the sound qaulity on the sony's suck... i guess thats what i get for wanting portability over quality.
The large over the head headphones are just too large and not portable for my needs. I've tried bringing my senn HD595's around, and its just too much a hassle. I've seen foldable over the head ones and maybe i have just answered my own question...

Can anyone suggest what my choices are? are there any good qaulity clip on ones (how are the koss ksc75)? for $20 i wonder if the quality will be sufficient.
Folding over the ear headphones? sennheiser px100 px200
Ideally i would like to have good quality clip on ones.
Are there IEM's that might confrom to my weird ears?
what would your suggestions be?

P.S. Custom made are probably too expensive for my budget.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 12
You could always try custom tips for the universals, they're not overly expensive. If you could afford SE530, then you can definitely afford this.

KSC75 is an excellent clip-on option. For portable headband ones, look into PX100, HD228/238, ES7, etc.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always try custom tips for the universals, they're not overly expensive. If you could afford SE530, then you can definitely afford this.

KSC75 is an excellent clip-on option. For portable headband ones, look into PX100, HD228/238, ES7, etc.

I tried them, they aren't mine haha...

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 12
Check review links at my sig (earbuds and clip-ons). These are the best IEM alternatives available.

RE: SONY clip-ons with retractable cord - I suppose it is MDR-Q68LW. It is very thin sounding but it responds to EQ well. I raised lows and tamed highs. It sounds pretty decent right now, on par with stock KSC-75, while beats it in terms of portability.

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by baxbunny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried them, they aren't mine haha...

Yea, those were mine! Research Sennheiser HD25-II's. Or Denon AH-D1001. Or try Shure SRH-840s
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check review links at my sig (earbuds and clip-ons). These are the best IEM alternatives available.

RE: SONY clip-ons with retractable cord - I suppose it is MDR-Q68LW. It is very thin sounding but it responds to EQ well. I raised lows and tamed highs. It sounds pretty decent right now, on par with stock KSC-75, while beats it in terms of portability.

Thanks kostalex! I checked out ur clip on's reviews, very good, i think i'm going to get the g1a's or g2a's.

The sony retractable ones have a hiss sound, could be from damage. and if i extend the cable while wearing them i get static.

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 12
I have the ATH-EW9 clipons (I have had them for about 5 years, since just after they came out) and I like them better than Kostalex does.
smily_headphones1.gif

He probably has more experience with headphones than I do, though.

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 12
If you do go with clip-ons, try the iGrado. It doesn't have as good a sound as the full-size Grados but it still sounds pretty good and at something like $49.

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do go with clip-ons, try the iGrado. It doesn't have as good a sound as the full-size Grados but it still sounds pretty good and at something like $49.

iGrados aren't clip-ons. They're behind-the-neck type phones (like the sennheiser PMX-series phones). Just got mine today and they sound pretty good (no burn-in obviously). My G2A sound much better atm, but they have well over 100 hours on them.

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the ATH-EW9 clipons (I have had them for about 5 years, since just after they came out) and I like them better than Kostalex does.
smily_headphones1.gif

He probably has more experience with headphones than I do, though.

Yea... I'm trying to find them though... I live in canada, so it looks like i might have to buy from the states and get a friend to ship them to me.

Quote:

I have the iGrados already heh
biggrin.gif
but yea, looking for something ultra portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back