Alternative to Hifiman Edition XS with Better Construction?
Jan 24, 2023 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

oldsoulrevival

New Head-Fier
I love the sound of my Hifiman Edition XS, but I am beyond disappointed in the build quality for a 500 dollar product. Not only do they just feel chintzy, but now they have developed an audio distortion issue in less than a year of use. I had the original HE400s back in the day, and while they were not super comfortable, they nevertheless felt pretty industrial and solid. These XS feel like they are going to break at any moment (and apparently now they have).

Anyway, I want to get another set of cans that I don't need to worry about so much.

Here's what I am looking for:
  • Well-built, good QC, good warranty, etc. etc.
  • Under $1000 (prefer less, but that's my absolute limit)
  • I like hifiman's v-shaped sound, so something similar
  • Drivable with a schitt modi/magni stack
  • I love the neutral, expansive base on the XS, but a little extra punch would be welcomed (nothing overpowering though - I am not a bass head).
  • I'd prefer open back, and, but if there is something truly special in the closed world, I am not necessarily against it - just haven't had a closed back in a long time.
  • I really love the tone and soundstage of planar magnetics, and haven't owned a dynamic setup in a long time. Not against it per se, but that's where I am coming from.
  • I listen to everything - acoustic, rap, electronic, metal. I also play games.
Any recommendations?

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 12
It doesn't quite sound like an XS, but I highly recommend the Quad ERA-1. If you buy it used, it should be around $400-450.

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 12
Any reason in particular you recommend that one for me based off what I was looking for? Anything stand out to you?
The Quad ERA-1 is detailed but fun--it combines qualities of a planar and dynamic. At the used price, it's a steal. It's also built much better than any low to mid tier Hifiman. The one thing I'd caution is that it's not made for small heads. I generally have to extend every headphone except the Quad. If you're on the smaller side, you'll probably need a padded headband cover.

Jan 24, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 12
The Quad ERA-1 is detailed but fun--it combines qualities of a planar and dynamic. At the used price, it's a steal. It's also built much better than any low to mid tier Hifiman. The one thing I'd caution is that it's not made for small heads. I generally have to extend every headphone except the Quad. If you're on the smaller side, you'll probably need a padded headband cover.
well, my head's huge... so no problem there haha. I just read some reviews on it - sounds really exciting. I might have to check this out. Thank you!

Jan 25, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #6 of 12

Ended up buying a like-new pair on Ebay for $500. Fingers crossed. Excited!

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 12
Ended up buying a like-new pair on Ebay for $500. Fingers crossed. Excited!
I'm excited for you! Please share your impressions once you get them--you can read around but the consensus is that they're pretty awesome.

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 12
You could try Ananda.

Feb 8, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 12
I'm excited for you! Please share your impressions once you get them--you can read around but the consensus is that they're pretty awesome.

Just got them, and... wow. I haven't had time to do a full focused listening session, but so far pretty much spot on the money what I was looking for. A few things that immediately stand out:
  • The resolution is absolutely astounding. Hearing all sorts of nuances I haven't heard before.
  • These cans reward good production in a way the XS simply didn't.
    • Listening to Fever Ray's self titled debut album, sounds just explode out of the headphones.
    • The interplay between the bass and guitar on D'Angelo's "lady" is velvet.
    • The layers of sound compounding on Wolf Alice's "How can I make it ok?" meld beautifully all the way up through the crescendo ending.
    • Somehow Steve Lillywhite's production on "Before These Crowded Streets" is even cleaner and detailed than before.
  • Super engaging.
  • These fit my noggin better than the xs lol
Are these considered warm? There is a "softness" to them that I cant put my finger on compared to the hifiman.

Thank you for the recommendation!!

Feb 8, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 12
Feb 8, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #11 of 12
Thank you for the impressions! This is how they graph: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/quad-era-1-thread.878180/post-15311095

I would say their sound signature is more cohesive than some Hifimans, at least the sub $1000 ones.
Quad is quick with no ringing. It's not flat - having a bump at 1k and 3k. But its a nice headphone.

As for HFM, IMO the HE-6 SE v2 with proper EQ (not crinicle), pads, cables, screens off at the Adorama $399 - so call it $625 is quite cohesive, and its new. But it does need a good deal more power while the Quad can be run off an average DAP or good cell.

At this point its academic.

Feb 9, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #12 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back