Alternative to EMU 1212M.....
Nov 20, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #17 of 41
The 0404 is better than Revo 7.1 in digital out.

Nov 20, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
The 0404 is better than Revo 7.1 in digital out.

i read somewhere on these forums that both the 0404 & revo 7.1 are bit perfect..if they are both bit-perfect how else can they be different in digital out?

would like to know
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
i read somewhere on these forums that both the 0404 & revo 7.1 are bit perfect..if they are both bit-perfect how else can they be different in digital out?

would like to know
smily_headphones1.gif

They are both capable of passing all the bits of the source file to the digital out, but one may have less jitter or other problems than the other. Since, AFAIK, SPDIF doesn't have any error correction the card that has the better digital out will sound better since more of the bits will get to the DAC.

Nov 21, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
I picked up the 0404. In about three hours of listening, I find this sound much more my style than the 1212. The side/price grade was definitely worth it.

care to share the difference you've heard? not many can afford to buy both the 1212m & 0404m and pick the one they like.. and poor students can't afford to buy 2 cards, audition and send the one they like less back and suffer stocking/shipping fees..and.. i really can go on and on..
tongue.gif

Nov 21, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #24 of 41
The 1212 is smoother. It's less punchy, more refined, slower. Not a perfect comparison, but like the Sennheiser sound. The 0404 is more punchy, quicker, less refined but more fun. Another imperfect comparison, like a Grado.

I've listened to the 0404 for 8 or more hours over yesterday and today. I was bored with my music on the 1212, but the fun is back with the 0404.

Both are good soundcards, so it depends on your personal preference. Do you want smoother and more refined, or more aggressive and punchy? That's the telling factor, at least for sound quality.

I listen to a lot of rock and prefer aggressive and punchy. And, if you like that sound signature, the $100 you'll save with the 0404 makes this an easy call.

Nov 21, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
We got to clarify a little what we're saying.

Distroyed, I also find Senns dark and somewhat neutral. But I don't think warmth is a function of frequency response / perception.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...Type=0&graphID[]=255&graphID[]=39&graphID[]=465&graphID[]=495

HD650 and K501 are fairly flat (+-3bd to 2Khz). But HD650 is relatively dark with a few large dips and K501 is bright with some peaks. Of course this is different depending on your hearing. I don't believe there's a totally neutral headphone so you can be tipped toward the darker or brighter side of things and still be neutral.

But when you say the DAC1 is weak in bass is that quantity and/or quality and is it from the source and/or the headamp?

That link doesnt work. Warmth, from what I've gathered, is the rolling together of certain frequencies, which results in less detail and neutrality. You dont mean the same, though I'm not entirely certain in what manner.

The Dac1 is weak in quantity, but it's quality is pretty good. Tight and low reaching, for the most part, and the quantity part can be fixed with proper dsp'ing, but I've also heard people talk about how a nice tube amp can return bass to the music as well, so I'm not certain it's fair to say the Dac1's amp is poor (because of the pounding bass one can achieve with dsp'ing). I don't know what to make of that, but considering the Emu's dsp is able to return bass to my headphones that sounds pretty clean and for free, I don't think I can justify the purchase of a dedicated amp at this point.

Since I've been fooling around with Patchmix so much lately, I'd say the difference between the 0404 directly to a pair of Senn's and the 0404 to Dac1 to Senns is about 8dB in the 150hz range and below, but when the Dac1 is digitally boosted, the bass is notably cleaner and distinct. That's actually about the only major difference between the two, imo.

Nov 21, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #26 of 41
I forgot we are on headfi forum, thats why you guys use headphones mostly.Do u use headphones because its easyer to tell the difference b/w sound cards?

So all these emu1212 vs 0404 topics are based on digital or analog mode??Cause i listen to metal so i need a punchy card like 0404 but i really wonder if that was meant in digital or analog mode?
confused.gif

Nov 21, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Since I've been fooling around with Patchmix so much lately, I'd say the difference between the 0404 directly to a pair of Senn's and the 0404 to Dac1 to Senns is about 8dB in the 150hz range and below, but when the Dac1 is digitally boosted, the bass is notably cleaner and distinct. That's actually about the only major difference between the two, imo.

So are you saying that the $800 that go between the 0404 -> Senns and 0404 -> DAC1 -> Senns only serve to make the bass cleaner and distinct? (and only after eq'ing?)

Nov 22, 2004 at 7:08 AM Post #28 of 41
hey gang just wanted to report in and say my 0404 is humming along nicely in my comp. had to get 2 rat shack adapters after finding that my 1 meter ICs DO reach down to the ground - using my trusty audioquest diamondbacks right now, will compare that setup to the starquads when they come.

i'm an idiot when it comes to software - i just downloaded the most recent drivers (v1.6) and left it on the default (playing through WAV - i couldn't figure out how to get it on ASIO or anything else, not that i knew if that would sound better) and i clicked off the eq and other mixing board junk. then i compared playback between foobar and itunes, and you know, itunes sounded better. then i compared playing from my HD into itunes versus my ipod hooked into itunes - and hmm not really any diff i could hear. but just in case i'll keep things moving with the HD option.

anything i'm missing? am i hijacking this thread?

Nov 22, 2004 at 8:15 AM Post #30 of 41
prodigy. "diesel power." Darth Beyers. Pinkie Solo. Audioquest Diamondbacks to rat shacks to 0404.

basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back