Alternative to EMU 1212M.....
Nov 19, 2004 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Blitzula

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, I've listened to the EMU 1212M for about a month now...it's not for me. Not punchy enough, too analytical/neutral/slow.

I'm more the type who likes a more exciting, fast, and punchy sound, like Grado headphones.

I was thinking about downgrading to the EMU 0404. Does anyone have any thoughts on that move or other suggestions?

Nov 19, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 41
0404 should fit you nicely, I wouldn't consider it a 'downgrade' as more of a flavor change.

Nov 19, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
Alright, I've listened to the EMU 1212M for about a month now...it's not for me. Not punchy enough, too analytical/neutral/slow.

I'm more the type who likes a more exciting, fast, and punchy sound, like Grado headphones.

I was thinking about downgrading to the EMU 0404. Does anyone have any thoughts on that move or other suggestions?

The 0404 is better in those regards, so it might be a good sidegrade for you. It is probably the punchiest sounding soundcard that I've heard. Plus you can mod it for more speed. The ultimate upgrade for speed and punch is the DAC1, at least that I've heard.

Nov 19, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
The 0404 is better in those regards, so it might be a good sidegrade for you. It is probably the punchiest sounding soundcard that I've heard. Plus you can mod it for more speed. The ultimate upgrade for speed and punch is the DAC1, at least that I've heard.

I am planning to buy a DAC 1 for a personal xmas gift, I hope it is as good as the hype around here
600smile.gif

Nov 19, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
I am planning to buy a DAC 1 for a personal xmas gift, I hope it is as good as the hype around here
600smile.gif

And what a gift!
biggrin.gif
I am pretty sure it is at leat somewhat about synergy, but you've got Senns, so that should help. Don't get your hopes too high, but it will be quite an upgrade from the 1212, as nice as that is.

Nov 19, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 41
Is EMU 0404 the best card for music if using digital out?
So if this spdif that 0404 has is great, would DAC1 improve sound in any noticable way?
Im thinking of using one card for games/movies and one for 2.0 or 2.1 audio system for music.And the only thing im not sure about is which card to buy for audio.
And sorry for changing topic
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 19, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

And what a gift!
biggrin.gif
I am pretty sure it is at leat somewhat about synergy, but you've got Senns, so that should help. Don't get your hopes too high, but it will be quite an upgrade from the 1212, as nice as that is.

I have realistic expectations, worst case scenario, I could re-sell it for most of my investment, but I think there is a reason why you never see anyone selling these used
wink.gif
They are too good to let go off hehe
600smile.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

How does the warmth/coldness of the DAC1 and 0404 compare? the supposed relative thinness/coldness of the DAC1 has kept me a bit weary...

Nov 20, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #9 of 41
... or you could have your emu modded like i did to mine
smily_headphones1.gif

Iron_Dreamer, did you get to hear the Mytek 96 DAC by any chance? you know your opinion is really valued around here
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
How does the warmth/coldness of the DAC1 and 0404 compare? the supposed relative thinness/coldness of the DAC1 has kept me a bit weary...

I don't think the DAC1 is nescessarily thin sounding, rather it is revealing of thin sounding headphones. The 0404 does come off as being warmer than the DAC1, but not dramatically so (to the point of being say a DI/O). I'd say the 0404 sounds a bit fatter, but obviously not as quick, I think the two are somewhat mutually exclusive, at least from the perspective of a source. I have heard very warm, fat-sounding sources, but they have not been quick or punchy. Perhaps I have just not heard enough gear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
Iron_Dreamer, did you get to hear the Mytek 96 DAC by any chance? you know your opinion is really valued around here
wink.gif

Hmmm, I have not even heard of that DAC (unless I'm forgetting something) let alone actually heard it. Sorry.

Nov 20, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide

It's all about synergy and balance with the rest of your gear. Yes relatively the DAC1 is not as warm as the 0404. Let's take a look at what people are using.

Iron_Dreamer is using Sennheiser and Shure which are generally warm so it is a good match.

I find Grado's warm and it is fine on DAC1. Actually since the DAC1 has good soundstage, it will enhance Grado's nicely.

What I wouldn't use on DAC1 is Etymotics, AKG, CD3000.

-----------------------------

Going from 1212m to 0404 is a good choice if you wanted more punch and bass. As you have probably read already I prefer the 0404 for this fact.

Nov 20, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
It's all about synergy and balance with the rest of your gear. Yes relatively the DAC1 is not as warm as the 0404. Let's take a look at what people are using.

Iron_Dreamer is using Sennheiser and Shure which are generally warm so it is a good match.

I find Grado's warm and it is fine on DAC1. Actually since the DAC1 has good soundstage, it will enhance Grado's nicely.

What I wouldn't use on DAC1 is Etymotics, AKG, CD3000.

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winna! I can at least vouch for the dis-synergy of the DAC1 with the CD3K and K1K.

Nov 20, 2004 at 9:35 AM Post #13 of 41
lan, you think the Senn's are warm? I've always found them to be dark and neutral (which is how I like it). The sad part about the dac1 and the senn's is that the dac1 cuts out a lot of the bass of what the senn's are capable of (they have so much bass it's ridiculous). Solution: the Emu's dsp software is surprisingly effective at reintroducing the lost bass back into your music (and more). This is reason enough to drop an extra $60 for the 0404 over the av-710.

Nov 20, 2004 at 11:44 AM Post #14 of 41
How is it both dark AND neutral?

Nov 20, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 41
We got to clarify a little what we're saying.

Distroyed, I also find Senns dark and somewhat neutral. But I don't think warmth is a function of frequency response / perception.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...Type=0&graphID[]=255&graphID[]=39&graphID[]=465&graphID[]=495

HD650 and K501 are fairly flat (+-3bd to 2Khz). But HD650 is relatively dark with a few large dips and K501 is bright with some peaks. Of course this is different depending on your hearing. I don't believe there's a totally neutral headphone so you can be tipped toward the darker or brighter side of things and still be neutral.

But when you say the DAC1 is weak in bass is that quantity and/or quality and is it from the source and/or the headamp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back