Alternative to EMU 1212M.....
Nov 22, 2004 at 9:46 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Since I've been fooling around with Patchmix so much lately, I'd say the difference between the 0404 directly to a pair of Senn's and the 0404 to Dac1 to Senns is about 8dB in the 150hz range and below, but when the Dac1 is digitally boosted, the bass is notably cleaner and distinct. That's actually about the only major difference between the two, imo.

8 dB?
Man, that's a lot.
I don't perceive the DAC1 as being weak in the lower department.
Ah, what the heck, I'll order an Emu, I need a better source for my GF anyway.As a side effect I'll be able to compare different computer audio related sources.

Nov 22, 2004 at 2:11 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett33
anyone to reply me?

analog out. digital out means the DAC will come into play and if someone is comparing 1212m & 0404m via digital out they will most likely mention the DAC as well.. else its safe to assume its analog out.

Nov 22, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #34 of 41
Ok thanks.
So im looking for emu0404s digital out test.I want to use 0404 via spdif for music.Ill google it but if you know a helpful link, ill be happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

So all these emu1212 vs 0404 topics are based on digital or analog mode??Cause i listen to metal so i need a punchy card like 0404 but i really wonder if that was meant in digital or analog mode?
confused.gif

These comments people have on 1212m vs 0404 are through the analog outs.

What 0404 digital out test are you looking for?

Nov 22, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #36 of 41
Well i like the way it handels the analog out[punchy sound etc], but im asking if its the same good [as far as music sound quallity concerns] in digital mode which ill use.
Sometimes i must ask twice to make my self clear, because of my english
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Well i like the way it handels the analog out[punchy sound etc], but im asking if its the same good [as far as music sound quallity concerns] in digital mode which ill use.
Sometimes i must ask twice to make my self clear, because of my english
wink.gif

don't know exactly what you mean by that...
icon10.gif
... but ian noted in another thread that the 0404 acts as a good "transport" (via spdif) to feed your external dac with every bit it needs. please be aware: there's no digital sound signature at all... it's just a "non-coloured" (but maybe disrupted or false information / jitter) chain of 0 and 1...

Nov 23, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #38 of 41
In digital mode, all bit perfect soundcards will have the same sonic signature. Jitter from the source or cable will alter only the clarity in my view.

Nov 23, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #39 of 41
Anyone compare Lynx L22 or Lynx Two soundcards to E-Mu cards?

I know they are insanely expensive, but companies like VRS, who make audiophile music servers use Lynx cards ("modded"). Unfortunately, their top model costs $15,000, but it's upposed to sound better than dedicated CDP that costs even more...

Nov 23, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Anyone compare Lynx L22 or Lynx Two soundcards to E-Mu cards?

I know they are insanely expensive, but companies like VRS, who make audiophile music servers use Lynx cards ("modded"). Unfortunately, their top model costs $15,000, but it's upposed to sound better than dedicated CDP that costs even more...

Well if is I'll eat my shoes.
icon10.gif
Thats rubbish you know its all in the tech. and there are cdps/dacs for under $1-2k now that are much better than the lynx two. The EMU 1212m is as high as you need to go for sound quality in your pc. Above that, its not worth it unless there's no other option. I.E. Reciever/A/D and DAC are similar in performance to the lynx two. As Iron Dreamer found out poor op-amps and caps are really the only things holding back the card from equalling the lynx two.

Nov 25, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
Well if is I'll eat my shoes.
icon10.gif
Thats rubbish you know its all in the tech. and there are cdps/dacs for under $1-2k now that are much better than the lynx two. The EMU 1212m is as high as you need to go for sound quality in your pc. Above that, its not worth it unless there's no other option. I.E. Reciever/A/D and DAC are similar in performance to the lynx two. As Iron Dreamer found out poor op-amps and caps are really the only things holding back the card from equalling the lynx two.

Have you actually compared Lynx with E-Mu (modded or not) or are you talking about spec's and so forth?

While it may be true that one can change the poor op-amps and caps to make EMU equal Lynx, similar mods can be done for Lynx as well to improve it further b/c Lynx' caps and op-amps definitely are not all that great, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back