Alternative to beats by dre
May 29, 2012 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

dcsquirrel

New Head-Fier
I'll start off to let you guys know in no way am I an audiophile I do have clear sounding music. So I will be honest I like the way the beats sound but I do not like the dumb endorsments or the inflated price which is why I am looking for an alternative. I want something that sounds similar can be less bass heavy and looks similar. I'll be honest I am looking for "cool" headphones and I like the way the beats look. I was just wondering if you guys could give me a few headphones.
I am looking for ones about the size of the solos

Ones I have found:
Fanny wangs on ear(hesitant because haven't heard much about them)

May 29, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 40
Give us a budget perhaps?

I would say the V-Moda M80 would fit your needs.  They look cool, are built really well, and sound pretty darn good.  They are a tad bass heavy for my tastes, but if you like a little extra bass then the M-80 is for you.  They run $200 or less.

May 29, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 40
Another vote for the M80, you'll love 'em.

May 29, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 40
Yea sorry about not leaving a price range but I do like the looks of those I do like a little extra bass but in no way headpounding. I was looking for under 100 I do really like the looks of those. I found some shure headphones that I really liked but I was looking for a headphone that has a detachable cable/or only comes from 1 ear.

May 29, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 40
Quote:
Yea sorry about not leaving a price range but I do like the looks of those I do like a little extra bass but in no way headpounding. I was looking for under 100 I do really like the looks of those. I found some shure headphones that I really liked but I was looking for a headphone that has a detachable cable/or only comes from 1 ear.

The V-Moda LP (not LP2) can be found at around 80-100. They look pretty awesome and sound decent. If you were look for strictly audio quality, I wouldn't recommend them but they are better than most similarly priced phones you'd find at a retail store. The Grado's actually look rather cool because of their old school styling. The Sr60-80i would be priced in your range and they deliver stellar quality. 

May 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 40
Following should suite you, depending on how much you wish to spend:
  1. V-Moda M80 (~$200)
  2. Bowers and Wilkins P3 (~$200)
  3. Pioneer STEEZ 808 (~$130)
  4. Phillips Downtown (~$100)

If you want info on sound, please let me know.  My Pioneer's came in today, so they are burning in.  The sound is adjustable though.  All the headphones are about the size of the Solos with the exception of the Steez which is slightly larger (but not an over ear, still an on-ear).  I don't know the exact size of the V-Moda, I would assume it's no bigger than the STEEZ though.  I'll know the size for sure when they come in. 

To answer your question regarding your Phillips Amazon link.  Those are the Downtown.  They are a really great headphone, bass quantity may not be enough for some people.  It digs well into the spectrum though; both ways.  It's a more balanced, mid-focused sound.

May 29, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 40
I liked the downtown but again I would really like a detachable cable because I have a problem getting cables caught on things and would rather replace a $10 cable than a $100 headphone :S

May 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:
I liked the downtown but again I would really like a detachable cable because I have a problem getting cables caught on things and would rather replace a $10 cable than a $100 headphone :S

STEEZ has a similar signature, although not the exact same (at the time of listening).  It has slightly hotter treble and different bass setup that focuses more on the sub-bass.

EDIT:  At the same time, I don't see the Downtown breaking anytime soon :p  They are built extremely well :)  I'll comment on the V-Moda when they come in.

May 29, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:
Alright thanks I really like the look of the steez and the v-modas but the steez are probably more realistic for my price range

I should mention that I'm talking about the Steez 808.  Please note that I just got those cans today, and break in can do all sorts of tricks.  So wait off if you're gonna' make something off of my recommendation concerning the 808.  Give me a week to confirm that they are what I'm saying they are or if they change into some other monster.

May 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 40
Alright thanks for the all the help just to clarify I am in no way an audophile I'm just looking for something that will sound nice and doesn't have any huge noticable flaws. Also could you let me know about how comfortable they are but thanks for all the help

May 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:
Alright thanks for the all the help just to clarify I am in no way an audophile I'm just looking for something that will sound nice and doesn't have any huge noticable flaws. Also could you let me know about how comfortable they are but thanks for all the help

Just out of curiosity, what genres do you listen to?  As for comfort, I think the Downtowns are about the most comfortable headphone I've put on to date.  These are passable, but can get uncomfortable after a while. 

May 29, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #15 of 40
Sounds like you're looking for an on-ear set. In that case, I'd have to point you towards a Grado SR-80i. Don't worry about the dual cables, they're built pretty damn well and won't be getting in the way of durability. If you still don't want those, take a look at the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. Those should suit you really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back