Alternate source for Millet-Hybrid PCB
May 31, 2005 at 9:09 AM Post #421 of 589
It sure is.
wink.gif

May 31, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #423 of 589
another shop carrying the tubes and sockets is http://www.thetubestore.com/ (maybe worth to be mentioned at the hybrid site)

how to order the sockets via http://www.vacuumtubes.net/ ? They don't have a classical webshop and the pdf-pricelists contain tubes only. Does anybody got a part number ?

tubedepot.com is quite pricy compared to vacuumtubes.net (+$2 per tube, almost double the price) and $25 shipping for a $30 order definitely uneconomical for european customers

Jun 1, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #424 of 589
I might have completely missed this but.. has anyone measured the current drain of the amp?

Jun 1, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #425 of 589
Crap. I didn't order quite enough caps from Digikey to do two amps. I totally missed the L/R thing. Its a good thing I still have to order the diodes from Mouser.

Anyone know if either the 1N5291 or J503 is better than the other?

Jun 1, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #426 of 589
Quote:

Originally Posted by individual6891
I might have completely missed this but.. has anyone measured the current drain of the amp?

Not directly, but the heaters draw 150mA, the lion's share of the current. The idle current of the buffer is 2mA in low bandwidth mode, 20mA in high bandwidth mode. The LED draws a smidgen of current and the plate current is about a milliamp. So, figure between 160mA and 180mA at idle.

-Drew

Jun 1, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #427 of 589
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker
Crap. I didn't order quite enough caps from Digikey to do two amps. I totally missed the L/R thing. Its a good thing I still have to order the diodes from Mouser.

Anyone know if either the 1N5291 or J503 is better than the other?

Sorry about that! The CRDs are a tossup, one is as good as the other. The 1N5291 has slightly tighter tolerances, but in this application, it's not important. I think that the 1N5291 is less expensive, so maybe that is the biggest difference.

-Drew

Jun 1, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #428 of 589
Quote:

Originally Posted by individual6891

Mine draws around 190mA. It spikes to over 400mA briefly at powerup, yet I've had no problems powering it with the Elpac 24V 330mA linear wal-wart.

Jun 1, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #429 of 589
Does any know of a source and/or part number for panel mount tube sockets (non-baord mount sockets) for the 12FK6 or 12AE6A tubes?

I would like to try mounting the tube sockets to the top cover of the enclosure.

Jun 1, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #431 of 589
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaypetermen
Does any know of a source and/or part number for panel mount tube sockets (non-baord mount sockets) for the 12FK6 or 12AE6A tubes?

I would like to try mounting the tube sockets to the top cover of the enclosure.

Here's a source: http://www.cascadesurplus.com/catalo...products_id/35. I think that I've purchased from them in the past.

Here's another one: http://www.surplussales.com/Tubes-So...ubeSkts-2.html. I've definitely bought from them and they were fairly quick.

Check on Google - I picked up a bunch of PCB 7 pin sockets a few weeks ago for something like 25 cents each from a surplus store.

-Drew

Jun 3, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #433 of 589
I don't like Angela's ordering system (or lack therof) so I thought I was stuck with Tube Depot's crappy sockets. Parts Connexion has some good looking hardware for very reasonable prices. Thanks for the heads up, dude.

Jun 3, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #434 of 589
Just a quick note - I've completed (finally) an excel version of the BOM w/ prices and part numbers that should be available to be downloaded within the next couple of days. I'll post a link as soon as it's up.

For those who've been wondering, the base parts cost of this amp (what it costs to populate the board only) is around $75. You can push this down a bit more by being really picky about who you get your tubes from and so on but that's really a pretty realistic base. To that you need to add jacks, switch(es), knob(s), an enclosure and a power supply. If you keep it simple you should be able to get it all done for around $125. Maybe less, I just can't check every conceivable configuration.

Hope that helps some people out,

Nate

Jun 3, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #435 of 589
Oh, wait a minute. Parts Connexion's ordering method sucks even worse than Angela's. When will resellers get around to joining everyone else in the 21st century and get online ordering? I'm not going to screw around with that crap.

Cascade got my business. They even take Paypal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back