Altec Lansing UHP336 vs Bose Triport In-Ear
Sep 30, 2008 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

jdstoledo

New Head-Fier
I'll be brave. Yes, I'm a newbie and yes I didn't search the forums. But, I'm going ahead with this anyway. Oh, and yes, I did actually put "Bose" in the title (I know audiophiles hate em).

I just got my UHP336/UE super.fi 3 and oh my gosh they sound absolutely terrible. They're literally out of the box, so not conditioned, but I'll be shocked if they ever sound even 1/2 as good as the Bose sounded. They're both the same price and I've learned to hate the Bose and their terrible engineering (silicone earbuds fall out ALL the time)

Perhaps there's something wrong with these? They're very literally only slightly better than apple's ipod headphones. They have no low end, at all, and the mids sound very tinny because there's so much domination with the highs.

Anyone have any thoughts on UE vs Bose?

Oct 1, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 22
You said the mids sound tinny and are dominated by the highs...that might be something that would change after burn in.

You also said there is absolutely no low end which sounds like something that could be fixed by getting a better seal.

Personally if I had just bought those UHP336s I would consider those two factors first...
On the otherhand i haven't tried either the super.fi 3s or the triports so maybe everything I just said was a load of crap.

Oct 1, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 22
Yeah, I did switch the earpiece and it may be sounding a little better, but with very little bass response. The lack of bass (no, I'm not a basshead, promise) might be accentuated by the overbearing highs. I'll do a burn-in on these and give them another go.

Oct 1, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdstoledo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I did switch the earpiece and it may be sounding a little better, but with very little bass response. The lack of bass (no, I'm not a basshead, promise) might be accentuated by the overbearing highs. I'll do a burn-in on these and give them another go.

Denial is the first sign of an addict.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Nylan

Oct 1, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdstoledo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps there's something wrong with these? They're very literally only slightly better than apple's ipod headphones. They have no low end, at all, and the mids sound very tinny because there's so much domination with the highs.

Welcome to Head-Fi!

I own the Super.fi 3 and personally, I don't find the mids tinny at all, and I actually find them somewhat lacking in treble. Normally I would conclude that you are having issues getting a proper seal, since it took me several months before I found the right combination of tips and insertion technique. However, since you said that you have tried all the tips, I would probably guess that the UE's might not be for you.

Oct 1, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 22
I've got the sf3's and I agree that it's a problem with the fit. The sound you describe is basically what I get if I don't fully insert them. For me the sound is very rich and, the bass is very strong. The sound is even more improved when used with a sound level attenuator.

If none of the tips work, you may also want buy some Comply tips and give them a try.

I have never heard the Bose in-ears, so I don't know how they sound in comparison.

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #8 of 22
use them more. The first time I bought my PX100's, I was a little confused. I thought they weren't as bassy as some cheap hybrid buds I had. After using them for a day or two, though, going back to earbuds was like torture. I really doubt it was just burn-in in this case. I just wasn't accustomed to hearing what I should be hearing. What I had called good, strong bass was actually just a horrible, muddy signature.

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 22
i agree, i own the Uhp336, and used to have the super fi 3. The UHP336 is a slightly enhanced version of the super fi 3 (yes i am serious). The mid's and lows were enhanced slightly to over a more enjoyable experience. I believe you are not getting a right seal, if this is your first IEM, not one of those outer canal phones like the Sennheiser CX300, or those $20 pair of earphones that you find in stores. You might not be used to them going so deepin your ear, and because of this you may just be wearing them a bit too much on the outer part of the canal. i would say try the bi-flange and really put them in your ear.

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 22
I'd go with the Kramer modded JVC Marshmallows over either of those two, TBH. It has one of the best bass out of any canalphone and after the mod, mids and highs are alright too. This is all at a fraction of a price than either of those two.

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go with the Kramer modded JVC Marshmallows over either of those two, TBH. It has one of the best bass out of any canalphone and after the mod, mids and highs are alright too. This is all at a fraction of a price than either of those two.

i wouldn't necessarily agree with that, cause though the bass may have more quantity, the quality isn't there like the uhp336 and the bose triport. The mids and high's is obviously not even in the same range as the uhp336

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

A cheap dynamic driver cant come close to an armature in anything except bass quantity.

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree, i own the Uhp336, and used to have the super fi 3. The UHP336 is a slightly enhanced version of the super fi 3 (yes i am serious). The mid's and lows were enhanced slightly to over a more enjoyable experience.\

How is that more enjoyable? I really like the lows and mids of the SF3, but to me, the treble is seriously annoying because it is there (cheaper ones don't bother me because they don't have treble) and constantly reminds me that it should be so much better.

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by feNcheL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is that more enjoyable? I really like the lows and mids of the SF3, but to me, the treble is seriously annoying because it is there (cheaper ones don't bother me because they don't have treble) and constantly reminds me that it should be so much better.

then the UhP336 and ultimate ears are just not for you then, since Ultimate Ears signature frequencies are the highs. try something else, like westone, shure, of klipsch. They're all slightly warmer sounding IEm's compared to UE, especially Klipsch.

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

I don't think you can do anything to the marshmallows or the Fx66 air to make them even close to an SF3. The bass on those is boomy and unrefined.

If that is what you think that is good bass then stay away from high end audio that produces real bass. Your wallet will be very happy.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back