Altec Lansing UHP336 / Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 vs. Etymotic Research Er6i; what are your thoughts?
Jun 22, 2009 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lucky

1000+ Head-Fier
Ran searches, read many threads, but never found direct comparisons between both phones. How do they stack up against each other? I've toddled with the idea of buying an Er6i for years, but always put it off for one reason or another. Lately, I've been reading about the Super.fi 3 / UHP336, and was wondering which folks here who have tried or owned both prefer. I like the idea of a detachable cable, which the UE/AL phones have, since I've never had a pair of IEMs last longer than a year. Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

P.S., I have a pair of UE MetroFi 200vs on the way, so if you can compare those to either of these, it'll give me more to think about. :O)

Jun 22, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 9
I know at least one member who owns both and wrote a comparison about them
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ety...ctures-255829/

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for that, ClieOS. No way I'd have found it; different subforum and labeled as "Er-6i" instead of "Er6i". The review suggests the Ety are stronger in SQ, but the UE have the edge in durability. Any other thoughts? I haven't heard either phone, but know I want longevity, as mentioned above.

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 9
Well I do the sf3 and I had a pretty long listen to the er-6i and while the ety's do sound better, I just dont think you can beat the uhp336 at the price they are selling at now. 30 dollars for a very solid IEM that really is not that far off of the er6i in terms of sound.

The removable cables on the UE's are a huge plus because it is very unlikly that the drivers will fail. Comfort is very subjective though, I love the fit of the UE's, some don't. Same goes with the ety's, alot of people do not like the extremely deep insertion of the tri flanges..

I say go for the UE's

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 9
Agree, and I also like the fit of the UE (I mean, ALs). I use the Sony hybrid tips with them and they are very comfy, even though they are bulky. I may even spend another $19 on the UE replacement cable, which is not as thick (not sure if there is any sonic difference though).

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree, and I also like the fit of the UE (I mean, ALs). I use the Sony hybrid tips with them and they are very comfy, even though they are bulky. I may even spend another $19 on the UE replacement cable, which is not as thick (not sure if there is any sonic difference though).

Which size of hybird tips are you using?thanks

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 9
Well, I've tried them all but SS, and to me, the large (light green tube) seal and sound the best. I hardly ever use a large tip, but these just work for me. I use them on the 336s, the ADDIEMs and the Metro.Fi 200v. Oh, and I also used them on the Monster Turbines and IE8s when I owned those two phones.

I was lucky enough to trade with members for some of the other sizes to get the larges, so I actually have 4 pair. I even tried inserting a sound tube from some Comply P Series into a pair of large hybrids to use with the W3s, but I still got sibilance. I can only use the longer tri-flanges with the Westones, which is a drag because I really do like the hybrids for comfort.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've tried them all but SS, and to me, the large (light green tube) seal and sound the best. I hardly ever use a large tip, but these just work for me. I use them on the 336s, the ADDIEMs and the Metro.Fi 200v. Oh, and I also used them on the Monster Turbines and IE8s when I owned those two phones.

I was lucky enough to trade with members for some of the other sizes to get the larges, so I actually have 4 pair. I even tried inserting a sound tube from some Comply P Series into a pair of large hybrids to use with the W3s, but I still got sibilance. I can only use the longer tri-flanges with the Westones, which is a drag because I really do like the hybrids for comfort.

Thanks.

Just want to educate myself if I get my hand on TF10pro. I am having problem with song hybird large size tip, so I guess I have to try medium instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back