Altec Lansing im716...
Feb 26, 2008 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

riffjaff

New Head-Fier
Hello all, man, I've missed out on so much since I last frequented these forums. So, I am in search of a new pair of phones and would love to hear your opinions.
I found the Altec Lansing im716 from one of the threads here and am really interested in seeing what they are like.

So, would these be a good fit for me based on the fact that I listen to electronic music the most (trance and house mostly), with some alt. rock/rock/indie. Also listen to occasional hip-hop. I know with the tri-flange tips, they should provide better isolation that my current marshmallows. They also sort of meet my price range. I'm trying to save up as much money as I can.

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on if these would be a good fit or not?? If not, I'd love to hear some alternatives, too. Thanks so much.

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 19
I have not tried myself, but general consensus is that they have lean bass.
Take a look at Germania's review for them:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...s-sr80-290325/
she seems to like them quite a bit for classical.

Germania? feel free to jump in any time
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 19
If you use the im716's with the foams and on "bass" mode, you will prolly be more than satisfied. I never found myself lacking and I used the HD mode 99% of the time.

If you want some serious thump... Super.Fi 5EB would fit the bill...

Now I don't know your budget, but some good alternatives are the:

Super.Fi 5Pro
Triple.Fi

Personally, I think that the treble is just too rolled off in the E530's for me to reccomend them. They do a wonderful job with many pieces of music, but at the same price I think that the Triple.Fi does a better job.

I have heard the Klisph Custom 3's and there seemed to be a bit of muffle similar to the sennheiser veil to them , but with more forward midrange.

Overall though, the im716's are REALLY hard to beat in their price range. I doubt that you can find anything that is on par with the detail you get from those under $175.

Feb 26, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 19
Yeah, those are way too expensive for me. I really don't want to spend more than $50-60. Does the bass mode turn into a loud thumping sound or is it a more subtle increase? I'm hoping that these are the ones for me because I'm hearing mostly positive reviews.

How do these hold up durability wise?? Good construction, wiring??

Thanks. Also noticed you go to Northwestern. Very cool, I go to UIUC, always nice to meet fellow Illinois residents online.

Feb 26, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 19
I should also mention that these will be used with only my laptop and iPod unfortunately. Until the iPod dies, I won't be getting anything better.

Feb 26, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 19
To me, HD mode is like flipping a loudness switch on a receiver. I listen mostly with HD off. I'll switch it on sometimes for more bassy music. But for me, something like the K501 has plenty of bass. I consider the DT880 and HD580 to be my bass monsters.
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 19
These sound like the ones for me. Too bad they don't come in black. I did read in a review that Altec Lansing no longer makes the sleeves or the filters for these anymore. Will that be a problem?

Feb 26, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, HD mode is like flipping a loudness switch on a receiver. I listen mostly with HD off. I'll switch it on sometimes for more bassy music. But for me, something like the K501 has plenty of bass. I consider the DT880 and HD580 to be my bass monsters.
biggrin.gif

K501 has anemic bass even by my standards
eek.gif
and I feel that K701's bass is puuurrrfect (it could extend down little more, but I hardly listen to stuff that need 20-50Hz bass).
I found someone who's even more anti-basshead than I am!
biggrin.gif

I wonder how you feel about HD650s lol

Feb 26, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by riffjaff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These sound like the ones for me. Too bad they don't come in black. I did read in a review that Altec Lansing no longer makes the sleeves or the filters for these anymore. Will that be a problem?

ER8 Filters from Ety are exactly the same so they will work on the im716

Feb 26, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #11 of 19
Great thanks. I just met someone here, tstarn06, who is giving me a great deal on the im716 so I am very happy. I appreciate all the comments. Hopefully, I will have these babies in two weeks crying about my wallet yet happy for my ears.

You guys and girls are wonderful.

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K501 has anemic bass even by my standards
eek.gif
and I feel that K701's bass is puuurrrfect (it could extend down little more, but I hardly listen to stuff that need 20-50Hz bass).
I found someone who's even more anti-basshead than I am!
biggrin.gif

I wonder how you feel about HD650s lol

I've never heard the HD650. The can I listen to the most is the MB Quart QP85 which has even less bass than the K501. I don't really listen to a lot of bass heavy music. Even when I do, I love the airiness of the K501 and QP85.

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by riffjaff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great thanks. I just met someone here, tstarn06, who is giving me a great deal on the im716 so I am very happy. I appreciate all the comments. Hopefully, I will have these babies in two weeks crying about my wallet yet happy for my ears.

You guys and girls are wonderful.

You might want to buy some Shure black olive tips. They're a little hard to get on, but I find them a lot more comfortable that any other tips.

Feb 26, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

I've never heard the HD650. The can I listen to the most is the MB Quart QP85 which has even less bass than the K501. I don't really listen to a lot of bass heavy music. Even when I do, I love the airiness of the K501 and QP85.

well.. I couldn't stand them...very speaker-like, but not what I'm looking for in headphones. Good impactful bass does help on some of rock music I listen to - I play drums and I just love that double bass
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

You might want to buy some Shure black olive tips. They're a little hard to get on, but I find them a lot more comfortable that any other tips.

I have a few of those black foam tips left from my marshmallows. I'll try and see if they fit, otherwise I'll stick with the tri-flanges for now. I have two old pairs of tri-flanges that I can experiment with and turn into bi-flanges. Thanks for the tip, pun intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back