Altec Lansing iM716 initial impressions (pre burn-in, un-modded, with some comparisons with Denon C700 et al)
Dec 17, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang you chinesekiwi and fraseyboy for making me want these...and then dang myself for providing the heads up which led you to buy them...

Well, these, podded (and I will keep them podded *gasps goes the Head-fi DIY crowd*) have replaced my Denon C700's as my main portable earphones.

Detail freak = me.
I just enjoy music far more with these than my Denon's.
However I do plan on getting one of the Nuforces (can't decide which one!
frown.gif
) and comparing the two.

So yeah, I'll be selling my Denon C700's to some gaming people once some Sony EX series tips arrive since my Comply's are all gone
frown.gif
(better feeling selling some non-audiophile guys some nice earphones and introducing them to great sound than selling audiophile to audiophile for me).

Yay for the recovering NZ dollar versus the US, gone up 5 cents in the last fortnight and 1 cent yesterday
biggrin.gif

Still in the poo though :/

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #18 of 28
Thanks for your thoughts on the IM716's.
I agree with the others here that recommend an amp to get the most out of the IM716. My VibeZ will push the volume to very reasonable levels but they really open up and improve when amped so give it a shot.
I have to say I've never experienced the problem you talked about when the Bass switch is turned on. Could that possibly be more of an issue with the player?
Also I have recently added medium double flange Klipsch tips on my IM716's and they are much more comfortable than the triple flange that came with them and still provide a great seal.

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, these, podded (and I will keep them podded *gasps goes the Head-fi DIY crowd*) have replaced my Denon C700's as my main portable earphones.

Detail freak = me.
frown.gif
) and comparing the two.

I would recommend the NE-8, since it provides more of a detailed sound, which it seems you like. Also, DEPOD THEM NOW!
biggrin.gif

I've heard it drastically improves the sound quality to something near to the ER4P.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Detail freak = me.
frown.gif
) and comparing the two.

So yeah, I'll be selling my Denon C700's to some gaming people once some Sony EX series tips arrive since my Comply's are all gone
frown.gif
(better feeling selling some non-audiophile guys some nice earphones and introducing them to great sound than selling audiophile to audiophile for me).

Yay for the recovering NZ dollar versus the US, gone up 5 cents in the last fortnight and 1 cent yesterday
biggrin.gif

Still in the poo though :/

Depod and add the amp, and you will be even more happy with them. Check and see if Germania will do the mod for you. She's a great DIYer.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #21 of 28
To my ears the Nuforce-E7 with shure fomies has (just tried it today), as somebody mentioned, has the sennheiser characterics. Where as the im716 has more of a grado sound. I certainly enjoy both to use with different types of music.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #22 of 28
More of a Koss A/250 sound than a Grado sound I'd say...

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More of a Koss A/250 sound than a Grado sound I'd say...

Haven´t heard those, but I was actually also thinking about mentioning the koss sound instead of grado, but only know it from ksc 75/35, don´t know how they compare to the one you mentioned?

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #24 of 28
Ksc75 is ok, good value, but the A250 is a different beast altogether.. I'd rate it as the fasted Dynamic headphone I've heard*. Mindblowingly quick.. little lean on the Bass.. kinda like the 716's

Oh and try [size=medium]DanT[/size] for the depodding.. his mod is head and shoulders the most versatile mod for the 716. Not sure he still does it though..

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/im7...ml#post3883721

The switches is a genius idea.. and well executed too.. best mod by far i've seen for these phones. Heck if HeadphoneAddict likes it , it must be good
wink.gif

If you wanna do it yourself, don't sweat matching resistors to some silly tolerance.. cheap and cheerful ones will work as well as super expensive ones.. and absolutely do not worry about what kind of solder to use.. you won't be able to tell the difference. Ask EricJ if you dare...
smily_headphones1.gif

* I haven't heard every headphone, so yes, there may be faster, probably are..

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #25 of 28
I remember seen this DanT mod with the switches, quite impressive, was thinking about trying it out, but then again remembered my soldering limitation..
A250 sound interesting, but as I remember it´s not really out on the marked anymore?

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #26 of 28
There was a pair of A250s on Ebay today, went for $83.. (I got mine for $33 when Koss cleared them out on ebay- bargain! )

I might PM DanT to see if he's up for another mod myself.. I have an unopened pair of 716's on a shelf here.. hmm

Dec 18, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #28 of 28
it's possible.. couldn't say myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back