Altac Lansing im716 - Just arrived and first impressions.
Jun 7, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #16 of 27
Definately think I'm getting a poor seal. With the triflanges and no music I can hear my tv which is at a pretty low volume, the hum of my computer, and mouse clicks. This could be normal, but I was under the impression that the isolation was much more severe than this. I just can't get these things any further in my ears though. Foamies are even worse as they pop out with the slightlest tug on the cord even after forming.

Guess my only option is to cut these things into biflanges, but I'm not sure if my problem is that my ears are too small or too big. I also want to try some shure tips but I'm not sure what size to get there either.

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #17 of 27
McCol - you asked about crossfeed.........here is only one thread you may find interesting because it contains many different viewpoints, but refers to only 2 iterations and search and you will find a discussion re soundstage in relation to crossfeed. http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ight=crossfeed
You can just think of it as a partial blending or l and r forming a more unified picture. I find it's best use (for me) is with earphones, since they already place the soundfield more within your head. When using Winamp and headphones there is the headplug plugin that allows you to massage the x/f power and delay - when utilising it I prefer to decrease the default setting for those two feature components.

Jun 7, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
McCol - you asked about crossfeed.........here is only one thread you may find interesting because it contains many different viewpoints, but refers to only 2 iterations and search and you will find a discussion re soundstage in relation to crossfeed. http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ight=crossfeed
You can just think of it as a partial blending or l and r forming a more unified picture. I find it's best use (for me) is with earphones, since they already place the soundfield more within your head. When using Winamp and headphones there is the headplug plugin that allows you to massage the x/f power and delay - when utilising it I prefer to decrease the default setting for those two feature components.

I've read a few threads on the xin supermini 3 and the thread you linked.
Taken the plunge and bought a sm3 from the sale/trade forum. Should have next week hopefully.

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #19 of 27
Bravo!

When you get the amp........you'll find an excellent way to fasten it to your player is to use Scrungi Polybands - they are found in the ladies haircare section in almost any drugstore. They are clear, smaller and finer than rubberbands and almost "impossible" to break (aprox 50 @ $3.20). Also, suggest you pay several visits and read posts on http://www.fixup.net/talk/
You'll find many posts of interests pertaining to your new amp. (specific comments re batteries, opamps etc.).

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #20 of 27
The SM3 i am buying was bought by the buyer back in jan this year and comes with the ad8397 opamp.

Looking forward to trying this crossfeed malarky!

Many thanks for the advice Bush Guy and everybody else.

7 days ago i was happy and sure i wasnt going to upgrade(love this site although the wallet doesnt)

Jun 7, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #21 of 27
to the contrary - your wallet is now slim, trim, and in great condition. You have not spent too much money and have gotten good value for those expenditures.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Now there is more room in it for another credit card plus a pic of your gf. Feelin' g-o-o-o-d

Jun 9, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by McCol
Surprised myself really that i prefer the bass setting, in the past i've never used/liked bass enhancers etc. I've only used the phones for a couple of hours so far so this may change though.

Do the im716's benefit after a 'burn in' period?

Yes, they will burn-in. I also used the bass setting more in the beginning, but now the HD is my default. I also got a much better seal with DIY foamies, so the bass came up and the sound sig evened out in HD.

Glad you like them.

Cheers-

Jun 9, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryGuy
Definately think I'm getting a poor seal. With the triflanges and no music I can hear my tv which is at a pretty low volume, the hum of my computer, and mouse clicks. This could be normal, but I was under the impression that the isolation was much more severe than this. I just can't get these things any further in my ears though. Foamies are even worse as they pop out with the slightlest tug on the cord even after forming.

Guess my only option is to cut these things into biflanges, but I'm not sure if my problem is that my ears are too small or too big. I also want to try some shure tips but I'm not sure what size to get there either.

The eartips should not be uncomfortable (from your previous post). I also had the same problem. From your experience with the foamies, which have a wider fit range, if they are also loosely fitting, your ear canals may be large. That is, unless the faomies weren't compressed, ie, rolled, enough to be small enough to fit in properly. For large ears, yes, cut off the smaller, outer flange.

Good luck!

Jun 9, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #24 of 27
Thanks for the advice, jSatch. I'm getting a much better seal now with the triflanges than I was, but they are still very uncomfortable after having them in my ears for a short while. I can't tell whether the foamies aren't expanding enough or that I'm not getting them far enough into my ear. I believe it's the former, but I could be wrong.

I'm a little nervous to cut the triflanges as I don't want to make them worse. Guess I'll have to order some spares.

Jun 14, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #25 of 27
Just thought i'd post a little update on my impressions of the im716's.

Bought the xin supermicro3v6 from smith here on the forums to pair up with the 716's and the ZVM and to replace the pa2v2 i had been using.

I amazed by the results so far, havnt changed any of the jumper settings so far as the sound is so sweet. The bass sounds lovely tight and crisp, cymbals are like i've never heard before. Also cant believe how small the amp is.

would highly recommend the im716's to anybody who is toying with the idea esp when paired with the sm3.

Oh and i've stopped using the bass mode on the 716's. finding it a more natural sound.

Jun 15, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryGuy
Thanks for the advice, jSatch. I'm getting a much better seal now with the triflanges than I was, but they are still very uncomfortable after having them in my ears for a short while. .......

I'm a little nervous to cut the triflanges as I don't want to make them worse. Guess I'll have to order some spares.

If the tips are uncomfortable, you really have nothing to lose by lopping off the outer flange. If it doesn't work, just stick with the foamies.

Have fun!

Jun 16, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #27 of 27
if the triflange do not fit you, try Shure ultra soft grey sleves... it help me alot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back