Alright now what do I do? : aka computer dictates what the external DAC sees
Oct 26, 2012 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

BLACKENEDPLAGUE

1000+ Head-Fier
Today I received my Teac UD-H01. After hooking it up via optical from my motherboard, I noticed the sampling rate was locked at 48khz. After fiddling around with the Teac and testing the connection of the optical cord I went into the setting of the realtek drivers only to find that the max sampling rate allowed going through was 48khz. I switched it to 24/192 and no sound was coming through, then I switched it to 24/96 and at least then I got sound. What is really bloody stupid is whatever is playing is LOCKED at the frequency the onboard is set at. It didn't matter whether I played CD rips or 192khz vinyl rips, it was stuck at 96khz (as shown by the Teac).

How do I fix this? Do I need a Musiland Digital Times? Or do I need to scratch the amp/Dac idea altogether and get a soundcard and an external amplifier? I was so excited about this Dac that now I am ready to just.... give up on the idea of computer hifi.

One thing I noticed as I was flipping through settings and trying different music, I couldn't tell a difference between anything at all. Maybe this hobby isn't getting it.

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 29
That answers one problem, but what needs to be done about the onboard locking the sampling frequency regardless?

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:
That answers one problem, but what needs to be done about the onboard locking the sampling frequency regardless?

Do you hear the Teac clicking when changing sample rate?

Also, to use the higher sample rates, you'll have to go via USB or Coax. Are you using Itunes? And are you experiencing any drop out
when you start a track?

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:
Do you hear the Teac clicking when changing sample rate?

Also, to use the higher sample rates, you'll have to go via USB or Coax. Are you using Itunes? And are you experiencing any drop out
when you start a track?

Yes I am hearing clicking when I change max sampling on the onboard, but it doesn't change when i play for example cd quality or 24/88.2, it just locks at whatever the onboard is set at. 

My motherboard does not have coax, and I was trying to avoid USB completely.

itunes is not being used, I have foobar. What do you mean by drop out?

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:
Yes I am hearing clicking when I change max sampling on the onboard, but it doesn't change when i play for example cd quality or 24/88.2, it just locks at whatever the onboard is set at. 

My motherboard does not have coax, and I was trying to avoid USB completely.

itunes is not being used, I have foobar. What do you mean by drop out?

You should see that the Realtek drives have the ability to support higher sample rates than what you're reporting,
so that would x the need for the Musiland as you previously asked.

I know that Teac has been finnicky but mostly on the USB side of things.

Can you check the sound device window and look at what the format is set to. And then also look and see what your Foobar (wasapi or asio)
output is set to. That could be causing some of the problem.

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:
You should see that the Realtek drives have the ability to support higher sample rates than what you're reporting,
so that would x the need for the Musiland as you previously asked.

I know that Teac has been finnicky but mostly on the USB side of things.

Can you check the sound device window and look at what the format is set to. And then also look and see what your Foobar (wasapi or asio)
output is set to. That could be causing some of the problem.

I have ALC889, it goes up to 24/192. So the musiland would not render the realtek null?

Failed to understand that sentence

foobar has no say in the sampling, and when playing it says what frequency the track is at the bottom of the player. So to clarify:

The onboard says 24/96
The Teac says 24/96
Foobar (with a cd rip) says 16/44.1

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:
I have ALC889, it goes up to 24/192. So the musiland would not render the realtek null?

Failed to understand that sentence

foobar has no say in the sampling, and when playing it says what frequency the track is at the bottom of the player. So to clarify:

The onboard says 24/96
The Teac says 24/96
Foobar (with a cd rip) says 16/44.1

Are you using Wasapi or Asio?

Do you know your DSP settings in Foobar?

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 29
Oct 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:
I'm not using either

i'm not using any DSP

So you don't have an SRC resampler for example?

Alright, so you have no way of setting the output sample rate within Foobar? Meaning, you have no controls, but you have a display,
letting you know what is currently being played.

Edit furthermore: You're using stock Foobar, and I think I've exhausted everything I can think of. I personally think there is something
within Foobar that's not jiving, But to me, it seems like you've handcuffed yourself.

I still don't understand why your Realtek drivers limited you to 48khz, even though optical supports up to 96khz

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 29
Dude I just said onboard goes to 96khz but it locks there even when I play different sample rate tracks.

I have controls in foobar, but it does bit perfect. It is not changing what the music is sampled at.

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:
Dude I just said onboard goes to 96khz but it locks there even when I play different sample rate tracks.

I have controls in foobar, but it does bit perfect. It is not changing what the music is sampled at.

I was referring to your initial post. And before you were locked at 48khz, now you're locked at 96khz. Strange.
I'll try and do more digging, but I'm about out of ideas. It would be terrible if something was faulty, just deduce...

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 29

When it was locked at 48khz, that is because the default was at 48khz. It is now locked at 96khz across the board because the setting is at 96khz. The question is how do I get it to be VARIABLE.

Foobar is set to variable:

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

When it was locked at 48khz, that is because the default was at 48khz. It is now locked at 96khz across the board because the setting is at 96khz. The question is how do I get it to be VARIABLE.

Foobar is set to variable:

First question: Did you not have this problem before? I am thinking your soundcard can only play 1 sample rate at a time,

I believe you'd have to use WASAPI, which then would take care of the sample rate switching automatically.

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

It would help to know the make and model of your motherboard (and the model of the realtek audio chip.)  Some realtek chips are limited to 48 KHz but many recent ones can output at 192 KHz.

The player software you are using matters too as does the output method.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back