Already own M50, should i bother getting HM5, or is the upgrade not worth it?
Aug 3, 2012 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

theLiminator

New Head-Fier
Hi, I already own the M50, but i've heard many great things about the HM5, and the tone is supposed to be overall more neutral. I listen to almost all genres of music. I was wondering if the sound is good enough that it warrants an upgrade, or should I just save for something around the $300 range instead? I'd be looking for something that is closed, neutral, comfortable, decent looking, and driveable (at least with a pocket amp).

For reference the headphones I have owned are HD414 (broken), ATH-AD700, ATH-M50, and ATH-SJ55.

Also one last question, how does the HD414 stack up against modern mid range cans like the M50, AD700, and HM-5? I can get another pair of HD414's off my friend for $30 and I remember they actually sounded decent.

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 4
Maybe you can try purchasing the clones...Lindy / Jaycars...which are so much cheaper...and as good apparently.

Then u can save for your $300 cans :)

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 4
Oh, one more question. Would it be worth investing into a ODAC/O2 amp/dac combo with the headphones i currently own? Would I be able to tell the difference if I have fairly decent ears. I know that setup is more expensive than any headphone I currently own, but it seems like the type of setup where I would never have to upgrade (I heard they stack up against $1000 amps).

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm currently using LAPTOP onboard sound X_X.

I also heard the AKG Q701s are good, hmmm, maybe I should try to sell my AD700 and pick up the Q701s.

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 4
+1  ODAC/O2 amp/dac combo Anytime :))) 

Q701s are fantastic amped...its less bassy then many others but has quality bass...

Even though they are supposed to be easily driven without an amp, they are not. They need a portable amp at least
to be driven well. Fiio's will do, but they need...a push... :)

+1 for that too :) 

Anyways...have fun...

Cheerz !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back