Already have and love HD595...where to next?
Apr 22, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #16 of 22
My vote goes for the Grado SR-225. If you can spring for the SR-325i then definitely go there.

Suggestion: Buy used here on the forums. If you are one of the people who simply don't care for the Grado house sound, you can sell them for what you paid, and you're only out the shipping costs. If you're lucky and found a great deal, you may even get a few dollars more than what you paid.

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jersey_emt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vote goes for the Grado SR-225. If you can spring for the SR-325i then definitely go there.

Suggestion: Buy used here on the forums. If you are one of the people who simply don't care for the Grado house sound, you can sell them for what you paid, and you're only out the shipping costs. If you're lucky and found a great deal, you may even get a few dollars more than what you paid.

I'll definitely look into that when the time comes, thanks!

I listened to my friend's Sony MDR-V700 for a little while the other day. This was part of my motivation to look into some warmer, more fun sounding cans. While I did enjoy listening to them, I felt that they were too muddy and veiled for my taste. I feel that if I'm going to spend ~$100 or more on a second set of cans, they'd have to sound better than that.

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #19 of 22
I like my Grado SR 225 with rock and metal. They are great for mid-range voice and guitar. Bass is great too; but it's more of a tight-and-tuneful variety, with nice pitch-definition. Pads you use with them also make a difference on the impact. I highly recommend the 225 for the type of music you listen to. As others have mentioned, you can always buy a used pair here on HeadFi, and re-sell them if you decide you don't like them. There's also ebay, where you can buy a brand-new set, for $160-US.

Ebay link: Grado SR-225 Headphones - (eBay.ca item 120251497744 end time 25-Apr-08 17:32:49 EDT)

Hope this helps!

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #20 of 22
OK, so after some careful consideration, and after reading all of your suggestions, these two are the frontrunners:

Grado SR-225
Denon AH-D2000

I'm very intrigued by both of these, and if I had my way I'd get both of 'em. Maybe someday...

It's going to be difficult to choose between these two. At the moment, the Denons are slightly ahead of the Grados.

Thanks for all the help so far. Anybody else?

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #21 of 22
Denon D2000, ultrasone hfi-780s, and grado sr225s are in my "To Try List" as well.

Grados definitely have the coolness factor though. I would get those first. The denons will probably sound closer to the 595s than the grados so for something different... definitely get the grado.

Looking at your creative labs source... grado definitely. For some reason the alessandro ms1 sounded best out of my zen micros before. while non grados like my senn 555 sounded better with my pcdp

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #22 of 22
Haha, resurrecting my really old thread to say that I finally made my decision. I ended up going for the SR225! \m/

When it came down to it, the SR325i were my first choice. I was afraid they'd be a bit too much, though. I figured the SR225 were a safer bet, and if I feel that I still want a bit more, I'll take advantage of HeadRoom's return policy and snag the SR325i.

After getting my SA6, the Sennheisers just don't quite cut it for me anymore for my main listening duties.
frown.gif
I'm assuming they'll still be a great set of cans to keep around for longer or more relaxing listening sessions. Eventually I think I'll upgrade to the HD650 from the HD595. I think I'll get myself a nice desktop amp (Gilmore Lite???) first...

Anyway, my SR225 should be here on Wednesday. I really don't wanna have to wait that long!! I almost wish I would have gone for the 325i, but I'll just have to wait and see. I love those metal earcups, too! I like the way all of the Grados look; they have a real charm to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back