Already have and love HD595...where to next?
Apr 22, 2008 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

MetalGeek

100+ Head-Fier
OK, so a few months ago I got my first set of "good" headphones, my HD595's. I was immediately blown away by the sound, and soon bought my iBasso D2-Viper to drive them. Even better! I absolutely love my current setup.

However...

As I'm sure you can all understand, I am still being bitten by curiosity. I'm looking to eventually purchase a second set of cans to complement my HD595's. After spending way more time on the forum than I probably should be, I realized that there are just too many options! (Not that it's a bad thing
biggrin.gif
)

I listen to various types of rock music, especially melodic/death/progressive metal, including Mastodon, Meshuggah, Opeth, The Black Dahlia Murder, Soilwork, Children of Bodom, etc. I also listen to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Clutch, Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, and other more mainstream bands. I also have a tendency to listen to some weirder music (for my normal taste, anyway), including the Blue Man Group, Michael Jackson, and Chumbawamba.

Anyway, I'm looking for a set of cans that would complement my HD595's. I'm looking for something warmer with strong, punchy bass. I don't want anything muddy or overpowering in the bass department, however. My HD212 Pro cover that area quite nicely.

From my research on this forum, I have been pointed to basically the entire Grado SR line, Alessandro MS-1/MS-2, and Beyerdynamic DT770. I am especially intrigued by the possibility of upgrading the DT770's by getting them woodied, but that would be way down the line.

As of right now, it's not looking like I'll be making a purchase any time in the near future, but I really want a good direction to head toward for the potential of getting some new cans sometime in the coming months. My budget would most likely hover around $200-$250 USD, although cheaper is certainly welcome!

So, anybody have any recommendations?

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 22
the 770s are a great choice but i think the people to follow this post might suggest saving an extra 50 and going straight for the 880. or perhaps finding a used pair to fit your budget. having said that, personally i would get a sr 60. you were right in your research and grado is exceptional for rock. they are only 69 shipped and if you get them from a good seller you can return them as well if you dont like them. headroom sells them for 73 shipped (only 4 bucks more) but from what ive heard their return policy is excellent. so in case you do like the sr 60s, you can keep them, or return them in the even that you dont, but you also have the option of returning them and getting a better grado phone from headroom.

the 595 and any grado are exact opposites though. 595s are more laid back and grado are waaaaaaaaaaay up front with their presentation. they are relatively easy to drive as well so no need to get a new amp. with other phones a new amp might become necessary down the road.

ps. look into the ultrasone hfi 780. ive never heard them but ive heard their name come up with grados for rock quite a few times on here.

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by crappyjones123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 595 and any grado are exact opposites though. 595s are more laid back and grado are waaaaaaaaaaay up front with their presentation.

That's a good thing. I'm looking for something that is at least somewhat different from my 595's. I suppose my definition of "complement" may be a bit different than that of others. Just to help relieve any confusion, when I said "complement" I meant giving me what the 595's don't. I hope I'm on the right track.

Anyway, thanks for the replies so far. Let's hear some more!

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 22
Hi

I also started out with the HD595. Perhaps my comparative review in my sig might give you an idea of the Denon D2000/D5000 sound and the ATH-AD2000. They would both be a step above the HD595 in speed, detail and bass extension.
If you are in USA, I think the D2000 is selling for 200$ right now on amazon.

I havent heard Grado, but they are very popular with rock and metal music. Perhaps you might consider Grado or Allesandro a try too.

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 22
I started with HD595 and jumped to HD650 right away. Grados sound wonderful as well.

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started with HD595 and jumped to HD650 right away. Grados sound wonderful as well.

Me too.. One day after getting my 595's I bought the 650's..

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #9 of 22
x2 - Ultrasone if you want closed, Grado if you want open.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone 780 or Grado SR225

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 22
I've been looking up all of your suggestions. I'm afraid that I now have more choices than I did before! I think my plan backfired! (in a good way)
smily_headphones1.gif

OK, I know that the DT770 are closed, and somebody mentioned that the Ultrasones are closed as well. What about the D2000?

One aspect I had forgotten to take into account is closed vs. open. At first when I got my 595's I thought that the open design was really weird, but after I got accustomed to it I found that I really like it, especially for long listening sessions.

I haven't ruled out closed cans, but I am afraid that if I do purchase some, I may not like them. I found out a few years ago that when I listen to my closed HD212's for more than an hour or so my ears get sweaty, especially during the summertime. Is that typical of all closed cans? My 595's don't make me sweat. I kinda like that
biggrin.gif

Also, do closed cans typically get better bass response? I'm not looking for bass monsters, just something that hit a bit harder and give more oomph than my 595's provide. I love their sound, but sometimes I'm in the mood for something with a good kick. Metal is especially exciting when you can feel the bass guitar and double bass drum!

OK, so here is my list thus far, in no particular order:
Grado SR-60/SR-225
Alessandro MS-1
Beyerdynamic DT770/DT880 (which is better?)
Ultrasone HFI780
Denon AH-D2000

Love the recommendations folks, keep 'em coming! Don't be afraid to chime in with cans that have already been mentioned, if I see them multiple times I'll probably give them more consideration. Thanks!

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #12 of 22
Also, if I were to choose between the SR-225 and the MS-1, disregarding price, which one is "better"?

A more useful way of asking it: what are their strengths, weaknesses, and differences?

How do Grados compare to the Beyers, Ultrasones, and Denons?

Apr 22, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #14 of 22
For your music tastes obviously Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - the SR225's are quite far behind in overall sound quality. If any Grado - SR325i but only when the rest of the rig is well matched.
I cannot comment on the Ultrasone's or Denon's but I wouldn't buy the Ultrasone Proline 750's for these music genres, and would not buy the DT770's at all. Sennheiser HD25-1's are better.

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For your music tastes obviously Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - the SR225's are quite far behind in overall sound quality. If any Grado - SR325i but only when the rest of the rig is well matched.
I cannot comment on the Ultrasone's or Denon's but I wouldn't buy the Ultrasone Proline 750's for these music genres, and would not buy the DT770's at all. Sennheiser HD25-1's are better.

A couple questions, if you don't mind:

1) What would be well matched for the SR325i?
2) Why would you recommend against the DT770?

Thanks!

Edit: Also, I'm not looking to upgrade from my HD595, just looking for something different to have with them. I don't mind if the SQ isn't quite up to the same level. I do want it close, if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back