Alps RK40 Disassembled
Jul 27, 2008 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Fitz

Headphoneus Supremus
Had to take this RK40 apart for some minor repairs & cleaning, so I thought I'd snap a couple pics for anybody who might be interested in what they look like inside...

Jul 27, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 18
Cool... I've never had the guts to pop the snap rings off the pots I've disassembled (Alps Blue or TKD).

How's it work now?
eek.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 18
I wasn't brave enough to try forcing it off, so I just ground down the shaft until I could slide it off, and epoxied it back on after reassembly. It works a whole lot better once I was able to find the strand of wire that had gotten inside and was intermittantly shorting out the contacts.
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't brave enough to try forcing it off, so I just ground down the shaft until I could slide it off, and epoxied it back on after reassembly. It works a whole lot better once I was able to find the strand of wire that had gotten inside and was intermittantly shorting out the contacts.
tongue.gif

Yeah, that would kinda pee on your cheerios. Damn, just saw those k240s you found. Bad timing...

Jul 28, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 18
Fitz, was this was one of the detented versions of the RK40? If so, it looks relatively straightforward to make it continually adjustable. I only have the non detented versions myself. Thanks for posting pictures, it is cool seeing what is in there.

Jul 28, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 18
Yeah it's the detented version, and should be pretty easy to convert to a normal pot. I prefer the detented version though... with the gain of the amp properly matched to the headphones/speakers, it makes it real easy for me to instantly adjust the volume by known increments. I spend too much time fiddling with regular pots to try to get the right amount of adjustment.

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 18
guys, thats a fake obviously. Ivbeen arguing bout this with Colin on IRC , I also know Filburt from IRC, im not ********ing. Going to post my disasembled pictures, what depicts a stepped laser trimmed rotary with excellent matching.

Sep 3, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 18
L3000.gif
Hi guys I'm a newcomer from Italy. This is the only thread whre I found the possible answer to my problem. I hope you'll be able to help me:
well....I bought an Alps RK40 on e-bay but I found out it was a Balance detented pot. As it's really a pity not to use it in my preamp or to sell it I was looking for a way to modify and convert it to a normal log Pot.

Do you think it would be easy for me to do it?
icon10.gif

thanks a lot in advance
Jo

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 18
Can't be done as far as I know. I think that balance posts also are linear, not log. As usual, someone correct me if I am wrong.

I would get the seller to take it back if it was not described correctly in the auction.

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 18
Hi Pars
unfortunately it was my mistake, "balance volume pot"
angry_face.gif

Anyway, in the previous message Fitz says it would be easy to modify it
The first half should be log and the second one anti-log

I only hope he can teach me how to do it without using expensive tools
wink.gif

Jo

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 18
Hi Pars
unfortunately it was my mistake, "balance volume pot"
angry_face.gif

Anyway, in the previous message Fitz says it would be easy to modify it
I'm not sure but I think the first half should be log and the second one anti-log

I only hope he can teach me how to do it without using expensive tools
wink.gif

Jo

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #12 of 18
Hey Jo,

I think there may be a misunderstanding of my post here. It is possible to convert the detented version of the volume pot into a non-detented (smooth) one, because the detented one is just to mimic the feel of a stepped attenuator, but you won't be able to convert the balance pot into a volume pot, for numerous reasons. The seller was probably being deliberately misleading by calling it a "balance volume pot" when it is strictly a balance control. An actual balance/volume pot is a very different thing, where the two channels can be adjusted independently (like on Stax amps).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back