Alps Potentiometers for a good price
Jun 25, 2002 at 1:15 AM Post #76 of 149
Wai Kei Leung says that the following stepped attenuator values are available: 10k 20k 50k 100k 250k 500k. They are $6 each with a minimum order of 4.

Wai Kei Leung
WAI YIP ELECTRONICS
ROOM 5, 2ND FLOOR
PROSPERITY BUILDING
61 TUNG CHOI STREET
MONG KOK, KOWLOON
HONG KONG
TEL #: 852-27814810
FAX #: 852-23875560
E-MAIL: wkleung8@netvigator.com

Jun 25, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #77 of 149
Let me say that dealing with Mr. Leung has been great. I have ordered twice from him and each time the pots arrived within a week of my PayPal to him.

Jun 25, 2002 at 8:59 AM Post #79 of 149
Quote:

Originally posted by jarthel
How's the quality of the POT compared to ALPs Blue/Black or even stepped attenuator?

Song is acceptable (Just like normal Metal film resistor step attenuator). It can compare with dale or other brand resistor.
It is clear and nature. It only complain is mechenical feel is no good. Everything is OK !

Jun 25, 2002 at 6:00 PM Post #80 of 149
Tangent just reported a serious flaw with these stepped attenuators. The shaft is about twice the length of standard knobs. For a META42 board mounted next to the case faceplate, this means that the knob would be way out from the surface of the faceplate unless the shaft is cut short or a huge, deep knob can be found. We know of no such knobs at this time.

Cutting the shaft short removes the splined section of the shaft, leaving a reduced diameter section too small to fit standard knobs. I suggest dipping the severed shaft in 5 minute fast setting epoxy to increase its diameter to fit standard knobs, rather than attempting to glue the shaft to a knob or attaching a knob without thickening the shaft, resulting in eccentric rotation and assymetrical mounting.

Jun 25, 2002 at 7:21 PM Post #81 of 149
I found that out the hard way. Using my trusty Dremel I cut the shaft to length, but of the ton of knobs that I have, none would fit without getting skewed. I like Morsel's suggestion about the epoxy, you can also just wrap tape around the shaft to make up the diameter loss, however you need to be precise so when you cinch down the holding screw it actually provides force against the shaft. The shaft is a tad stiff, so you could end up turning the tape inside the knob.

Jun 26, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #82 of 149
Another danger of using tape to pad a shaft is that the knob can slide off unless you put a lot of torque on the set screw so that you're pressing _through_ the tape to the shaft. For padding a 6mm shaft out to 6.35mm (1/4"), this is practical, but with these non-ALPS steppers (as I now believe them to be) I don't think that's practical.

I have to make a decision on how to do this myself sometime soon. If I discover anything noteworthy, I'll report it here.

Jun 26, 2002 at 6:41 AM Post #83 of 149
Quote:

Originally posted by tangent
Another danger of using tape to pad a shaft is that the knob can slide off unless you put a lot of torque on the set screw so that you're pressing _through_ the tape to the shaft. For padding a 6mm shaft out to 6.35mm (1/4"), this is practical, but with these non-ALPS steppers (as I now believe them to be) I don't think that's practical.

I have to make a decision on how to do this myself sometime soon. If I discover anything noteworthy, I'll report it here.

May be you can request the supplier order special knob to fit on it ? May be He can order from me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #85 of 149
Incidently, if anyone wants just a single unit I have about 4 that I would be willing to let go for what I paid ($6.00) plus a $1.00 for shipping in the U.S. They are the 50K ohm version. Let me know via PM.

Jun 27, 2002 at 6:38 AM Post #87 of 149
Damn, that must have been a quick PM! If for some reason something doesn't work out with your buyer(s), I'm next in line!

Jun 27, 2002 at 1:39 PM Post #88 of 149
It was actually 4 seperate PMs. Funny thing I noticed. It was 8:52AM when I posted that I would sell some and 8:52PM when posted that were all spoken for.

Jun 27, 2002 at 3:28 PM Post #89 of 149
Ah, didn't notice the AM/PM bit.
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #90 of 149
I received some of these today.
I'm impressed by the small size of them, and I think the mechanical construction is fine.

I'm amazed that they're only $6. It's obviously hand made, to bend the leads and solder on 42 resistor has gotto take a long time even if you've done it thousands of times.
the front of the pot is diecast aluminum. The blue plastic cases are injection molded. It had to cost quite some $$ to tool this up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back