Alps Black Beauty
Dec 5, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by afxdave
Ordering online with them is a little funny, but they do come through. Last time I ordered 6 of them and received 7. The price includes shipping in the US. Be sure to confirm your order after you do it online. They take up to a week to dispatch, but you can't beat the price.

Call them to confirm your order. They can take a day to get it completed and then some to get it dispatched. Not the most efficient system, but it's not like JBL is hurting for business, nor having trouble keeping up with it's current ventures.

Dec 6, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #17 of 51
so what are jbl/soundcraft using in the "new" 1620's?

edit: love the look of your lollipop earphones, oneof my friends just got some pioneers done by you he seems to love them.

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #19 of 51
hrmm interesting, would account for the difference in feel between them i guess.

Dec 15, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #20 of 51
My pots arrived today. I actually forgot I ordered these things. These pots are huge. They are heavy and seem solid. I haven't listened to them, but for the money they seem like an awesome value. I attached a picture of the Alps I just received (Black Beauty I guess) next to a Alps Blue Velvet. The Blue Velvet seems tiny in comparison.

alps.jpg

Dec 15, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #21 of 51
Whoa! What a beast.

If I determine that I can actually hear the difference between a blue velvet and a high-end stepped attenuator, then I might have to pick up some black beauty pots.

For some reason the whole discrete clicks thing with stepped attenuators gets on my nerves, so if this pot sounds just as good, I'm pysched! Anyone try controlled testing with these monsters?

Though, I wonder how the RK50 sounds...

Dec 15, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy006
Whoa! What a beast.

If I determine that I can actually hear the difference between a blue velvet and a high-end stepped attenuator, then I might have to pick up some black beauty pots.

For some reason the whole discrete clicks thing with stepped attenuators gets on my nerves, so if this pot sounds just as good, I'm pysched! Anyone try controlled testing with these monsters?

Though, I wonder how the RK50 sounds...

Testing tracking or what? If I get bored maybe I will test a bit. I have 3 of them here now. I might have to order some more if they perform well. Even if they perform the same as the Blue Velvet they are cheaper...

Dec 15, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #23 of 51
Whoa! Just noticed this thread.

So this pot is actually stepped with 21 steps?

This is really interesting for balanced applications!
biggrin.gif

Please let us know how the thing sounds/measures! I may order a few too...

Dec 15, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #24 of 51
no i think its a regular pot... there is a stepped version but its very hard to find

how hard would it be to take two of these and make it into one 4ch pot?

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
My pots arrived today. I actually forgot I ordered these things. These pots are huge. They are heavy and seem solid. I haven't listened to them, but for the money they seem like an awesome value. I attached a picture of the Alps I just received (Black Beauty I guess) next to a Alps Blue Velvet. The Blue Velvet seems tiny in comparison.

Glad to hear they came in fine. No bug eating for me.

With the ALPS you can dampen the torque or lubricate it to your liking with a few fluids. To dampen, there is a company called Syn-Tech (www.syn-techlube.com) who will be more than happy to send you samples of their fuilds. Buying from them isn't cheap and not usually worth it unless you are an engineer at a radio station or recording studio. These are good for maintaining the potentiometers over time to retain their "tight" feel. Then for lubing there is the obvious Caig FaderLube; which can loosen the pot as you like, and help clean it too.

Also, beware that they aren't fully sealed and that the green plastic is the only protection from the outside. I've ruined a perfectly good pot this way by letting both lube and flux remover get inside. Be sure to use a Q-Tip, or needle applicator for any fluids, so that they only go on the shaft.

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:13 PM Post #28 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
no i think its a regular pot... there is a stepped version but its very hard to find

how hard would it be to take two of these and make it into one 4ch pot?

The PartsConnexion site says it's stepped with 21 steps though...?
confused.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
confused.gif

right, thats the stepped version which was a special-order... they havent had any for years i believe tho

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
confused.gif

If its anything like the Alps Blue ('80s vintage) in my preamp, it isn't actually a stepped attenuator (as far as I can tell)... it just has click stops built in. The TKD CP2511s are available with this as well... personally I don't like it and was going to change the one in my preamp for an RK27 I got from Tangent until I discovered that somewhere along the years they've changed the form factor of the pot to the point where I couldn't board mount the replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back