Alps AK27 vs Noble AP25 vs TKD 2CP601 vs Audio Note 100K vs ...? Bang/$
Feb 21, 2012 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

simplethings

New Head-Fier
I'm currently having a toss up between various pots all around the mid range price mark. It's for a 3-channel β22 build. I don't want to go crazy on a pot but at the same time I want something that will do the amp proud. I've trawled forums & Google and still can't decide. The toss up comes down to the following four potentials ( 
wink_face.gif
 ):

1. Alps AK27 @ £12
  2. Noble AP25 @ £33
  3. TKD 2CP601 @ £30
  4. Audio Note 100K @ £24
  5. Other options? 

The Alps & the Noble have the added benefit of being mountable on a ε27 board which is handy.

Is the Noble worth that price vs the others? I've seen some say some people swear by the AP25 but I've never seen anyone actually swear by one themselves. I have seen opinions to suggest the AP25 isn't much different to the AK27 all said and done.

Does the 2CP601 surpass them all?  I've seen mixed-to-good things about the 2CP2511. Is the 601 in the same league at a better value? 

Is the Audio Note really comparable to the Noble? That's how I understand their aim but I've seen no opinion on them.

Are there any other options in the £35/$50 price range 

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 8
I think the ALPS is good enough.Spending more on pot is just meh.I'm using 1$ pots-the separation is excellent,and they are not big and clunky,and fit anywhere.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 8
I am the biggest RK27 hater on the board, though there is keen competition for that.

1) remove the RK27 from consideration. Period. Convenience = mediocrity.
2) change the TKD 2cp601 to the 2cp2511

Then you have no bad choices. It is all up to your budget, but then tyour real question is whether you prefer a 50k pot, which eliminates the AN, as that is my only reservation against AN. Don't know what value the Noble is.

So, it is the TKD or the Noble - no bad choice, though I have used both, and like the TKD better.

BTW, where can you source the Noble? That always seems to end the discussion, since they are harder to find, and IFF the Alps RK40 were still available, it might be a different discussion.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 8
Agree with Pabbi1 on the ALPS and the TKD.

The easy choice would be the TKD 2CP-2511. I use this in two of my amps right now and love it.

One other option that i have tried in the past in two different amps has been the PEC carbon pots. They sound fantastic.... BUT,  matching between sections is rather poor and can sound scratchy (the slider contact when you vary).

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks all.

The 2CP-2511 was my first choice but it's hard to source in the UK at a sane price - the only stockist I can find is unlikely to get any more due to supply problem. If I go to EU/US suppliers I'm looking at prices well over double the price of the Noble. If I'm getting to that price point I may as well just stuff it and get a Gold Point 
wink.gif

The Noble I can get is a 10K. I'm waiting for confirmation that it is indeed an AP25 and not some other Noble part (it looks like an AP25 but it's always worth double checking when money is involved :) ). 

Matching is pretty important to me, the feel and any transient noise during rotation is not that so important. My CKKIII is running with an cheapo (£10 I think) ebay stepped attenuator and it's, er, ok. Perhaps I can justify an upgrade path for the Beta22 there at some point - replace the ebay one in the CKKIII with the Noble and get a 2CP-2511 or Gold Point 
biggrin.gif
 (...makes mental note to leave enough GP clearance in the chassis...)

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 8
He ended up buying a TKD 2CP-2511 from me that I had lying about. Was intended to go into a headphone amp build that i am abandoned long ago.

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 8

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He ended up buying a TKD 2CP-2511 from me that I had lying about. Was intended to go into a headphone amp build that i am abandoned long ago.

Indeed I did :)

Another potential stockist of the 2CP-2511 in the EU is http://www.acoustic-dimension.com/tkd/TKD-main.htm. I say potential - I've not mail them to see if they actually have any.

The UK Noble stockist I mentioned before is http://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=noble. They have 3 'Noble 10Ks', which I take to be AP25s, in stock. While hifi-collective have the 2511's on their product pages they do not have stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back