Alphadynamic DT770's Review (Beyerdynamic DT770's with Alpha Pads)
Mar 13, 2015 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

yacobx

1000+ Head-Fier

So I wanted to clarify that I'm writing this review from a place of immaturity in the hifi community. I've had many headphones in the sub 200 category but I have not tried anything in the top tier of the headphone world.  Clarity, separation and depth are very important to me. I also am sensitive to textures and the way things feel. So even if I love a sound signature but I'm annoyed with the clamping force or the material of the pads I will sell them. For example the 280 pros were great headphones but I couldn't stand how the heated up how hard they clamped. Those where actually my first headphones and I've gone through plenty since then and ended up with dt880's 250 ohm. I loved how cool they stayed and didn't bother my ears at all. The down side of them is the presence of sub bass. It is there but not how I want. So after a year we parted ways. I went headphone less for 2 months while searching for my new pair. During that time I realized my budget was much less then I had hoped. I started looking back at Beyerdynamic and always was curious of the dt770's so I decided to give them a shot. The sound signature was much closer to what I had wanted. after some time I started getting frustrated with the treble and how the dt770's can clamp to hard on your jaw. So I started looking again. It was a late night on reddit in r/headphones when I saw something that really grabbed my attention "Alpha pads on dt770's". I became obsessed and asked the OP a million questions about his thoughts on what they did for the dt770's. He mentioned that it reduced treble brought the mids out and showcased the sub frequencies. I have been using the alpha pads on my dt770's for a little over a week now and I felt I was time to share. With these pads on my dt770's I feel that the have lost their v shaped signature and become something much more. I know that there is a guy out there calling his modded dt770's darthbeyers but I think these deserve the title. The ascetics alone are menacing. When I'm wearing them there is an undreamed of sensation that you could get from headphones. Especially when I listen to bass heavy tracks the pads vibrate in a way that makes it seem like the alpha pads are connected to the drivers. It's like when you listen to a speaker system and you can feel the bass from the sub hit your chest. It's makes the spectrum seem so wide and warm but still balanced. I've turned up my amp to unsafe levels for listening and could not detect any distortion from the alpha pads. Luckily the drivers on the dt770's fit right in the center of the pads. I did angle them a little so that the band would sit perfectly on my head and would not touch my ears. Adjusting the pads once there are on is not hard but it's cumbersome. I hope you try these out if you're anything like me and are looking for the same thing in headphones.

P.s. I am not paid by mrspearkes for this review. Honestly, I asked for a discount to write this but he explained that the profit margin on the pads was already really low. Lol. I should also mention that I am using a Fiio d03k as my DAC and a Schiit Mangi V1 for my amp. It's running off my iMac out of its optical out so there is absolutely no affects from usb which is nice. I'm sure this is not an ideal review for some of you but I just wanted to share my thoughts for anyone considering this dt770
altercation.

P.p.s. Haha. Total for my headphones was 215 with pads all new. I got the dt770's from amazon for 150 and the pads are 65.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 30
I can't remember the last time I've logged into my head-fi account, but I just did.... JUST TO GIVE YOU A HIGH FIVE... *HIGH FIVE***
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 30
Hi Yacobx,

It's a very interesting read. I just bought my first Beyerdynamic headphones, i.e., T70p. Having not received them yet, I'm already planning a possible upgrade as the stock velour pads don't provide enough isolation. Do you mean these pads from Mr Speakers? https://mrspeakers.com/shop/3-accessories/alpha-pads-genuine-lamb-leather/
Some more questions. Do they also fit T70p? Could they tame a bit overenthusiastic treble and add some bass?

May 14, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 30
Do the pads just easily pop around the outer rim on the DT770 cups? Got several Beyerdynamic headphones and I've never been very fond of the material on most of their pads, I much prefer leather and my all my Audeze pads are already in use, recently been using my T90s a fair bit more than usual so I figured I may as well upgrade.

May 15, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #9 of 30
  Do the pads just easily pop around the outer rim on the DT770 cups? Got several Beyerdynamic headphones and I've never been very fond of the material on most of their pads, I much prefer leather and my all my Audeze pads are already in use, recently been using my T90s a fair bit more than usual so I figured I may as well upgrade.

They fit easily around the rim. :)

Jul 29, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #14 of 30

there is a more expensive better leather earpad. Ill try to find it for you, the Alpha pad reduces soundstage a little but adds so much 

Hey yacobx,

Based on reviews & many voices I assume / feel the "Alpha Pads" are pretty good (one of the best options on the market), could you expose what you had on mind saying "there is a more expensive better leather earpad" please ?
Any links you can share ?

thanks!
:)

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 30

there is a more expensive better leather earpad. Ill try to find it for you, the Alpha pad reduces soundstage a little but adds so much 

Hey yacobx,

Based on reviews & many voices I assume / feel the "Alpha Pads" are pretty good (one of the best options on the market), could you expose what you had on mind saying "there is a more expensive better leather earpad" please ?
Any links you can share ?

thanks!
:)

I cant remember the name but they are around 140 dollars... not worth spending that much for earpads for a headphone that you can get for less than that lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back