Alpha & Delta AD01
Jul 28, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #76 of 332
Picked up a set of these...and they are damn impressive sound wise. Not sure I can get used to the size of them though. I much prefer over the ear wear and these look ridiculous up. Soooo. We will see I suppose.

No issues with me for fit or function when worn up. I tend to go a size down on tips so I can achieve maximal insertion, and I found the AD01s very comfortable.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #77 of 332
My first ever audio review, I'm not too happy with the picture quality but I'm moving atm so I couldn't get out the full camera kit.

Shameless commercial for my upcoming blog: http://myownaudio.blogspot.com/2015/07/alpha-delta-ad01.html

Just found out i forget to upload one picture, ah well the laptop is turned off right now so I'll do that tomorrow.

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #80 of 332
My AD01 review is up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/alpha-delta-ad01/reviews/13707

Highly recommend using wide bore tips, make a world of difference in sound!!!

I'm actually enjoying AD01 so much, it replaced my previous mid-bass punch favorites KC06A/VSD3/IM50 as a new king
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #81 of 332
My AD01 review is up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/alpha-delta-ad01/reviews/13707

Highly recommend using wide bore tips, make a world of difference in sound!!!

I'm actually enjoying AD01 so much, it replaced my previous mid-bass punch favorites KC06A/VSD3/IM50 as a new king :D

Will try wide bore tips with them when they finally round-trip back my way. Wish more manufacturers would include narrow and wide bore tips for a better out of the box experience.

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #83 of 332
So I just had these for a brief tour. I have not read anything from this thread, so my thoughts and impressions are entirely my own. That said, I did not have a good experience. I will leave my notes simply in point form...

- it's a nice box
- moderate size, moderate weight, even on smallest tip I still have a bit of trouble keeping it in my ears
- can't wear it over ear
- detachable cable, feels like good quality, but slightly microphonic from jiggling the earpiece, not much from friction
- upgraded cable: more flexible, softer, even less microphonic from friction, chin slider is nice addition

- nice semi-hard case, simple and functional
- good selection of silicon tips (single and double flange) and a foam, ten in total

- very strong bass emphasis, very deep reach and rumble, not the cleanest, kinda mushy, too much on bass heavy songs which come to the front and drown the mids
- feels like there's an additional boost way down in the lowest octave? like there's a bit of a dip just before the subbass hits?
- the hits/impact feel right, but then it feels drawn out longer than it should
- “lazy” feeling

- mids drop, feel recessed; that area is reasonably even though, so it only feels recessed in bass heavy songs
- mids are overall meh, I feel like there's something fuzzy here but can't really hear it over the bass

- treble comes in weak but peaks a bit

over time, get a pressure buildup in my ears
- fatiguing
- feels “heavy”
- can't listen very long, gets increasingly congested
- something is wrong here, the longer I listen, the more distorted it sounds
- after a few days, all I hear is the distortion now and it hurts my ears after a few seconds
- going back to other cans is like breathing a sigh of relief

soundstage - above my head? that's odd

feels like a blah $100 IEM to me (I have no idea what the price is), but then in this range I'd probably reach for a Shure SE215

the fit and sound signature didn't grok with me at all

fat and lazy, with a black striped copper cord... this is Garfield isn't it?

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #85 of 332
@rontant thanks for watching my video!

even now i still feel that the ad01 is a bit v shaped, its not dramatic though. it is tilted towards the bass as many head-fiers already covered. the treble is a bit more forward then the mids, but not strident in anyway.

heres my little story the last week or so.
after taking a short break listening to the RHA T20s a few days, ago i slipped in the AD01,

and i gotta say, in terms of performance the $150 or so price gap between the ad01 and the t20s is really not significant.

The past hour or so i've been swapping between the yamaha eph 100 with the ad01, and i found them to be eerily similar.

of course there are differences, the yammies are a bit more midbassy whereas the ad01 has a more "fatter" and more linear bass line (a bit more emphasis in the subbass).

the treble i would say both are not ENTIRELY smooth, they both have a bit of a peak (the ad01 a bit more so), sounds a bit crisper to my ears.

i've also been tip rolling a lot since i got them, and used them for a while with the included wide bore biflanges, and now i'm debating between the stock single flange (a narrow bore) with one of the hifiman re400 biflanges (its smaller and goes in deeper).

gotta say the tip rolling was somewhat of a failure. it's not as susceptible to tip rolling as to other earphones. (thats good cause it places more consistent with other eartips should you ever lose a pair or two.

i do find the cable a bit microphonic though, and i do feel the copper cable is a bit less "springy" as i think @earfonia mentioned.

audible differences between the stock and upgraded cable? not much really, its slight but it might just be a placebo effect if anything. but i'm currently rocking them with the upgraded copper cable (i quite like the design of it and love the colour) but it seems like i'm the only one
frown.gif

these actually work well for me cable up, the housing length allows it to clear out of my ear well, and because the cable exits at basically a 90 degree angle, they don't flop out of my ears.

MY Bigggest quibble with the ad01 has to be the lack of L R markings. Yes i do see it labelled on the cable, but in the dark, or even in the light, taking them out i have to squint a bit to find out which side is which,

the markings are so fine on the cable that i can't really feel it at all. I hope @TEOSJ would implement something like a small, but obvious bump on one of the sides for the the next batch of (plus it doesn't help that the housings are interchangeable). i tried them today with different coloured auvio tips (red on the Right and blue on the left), i find it very practical and was really debating on continuing with this setup, sounds really close to the stock tips too).

minor quibble aside, i really think it deserves to be a staple (like the yamaha eph 100s,  re400s)  for many years to come as a great value $100 earphone.

there not exactly on par in terms of performance but they have a lot of other factors that can really grab the attention of potential buyers. (detachable cables, wearing straight down) (the earguides are nice addition, but can be fussy for some people), and a sound signature thats rich without being too rich, without being devoid of detail and clarity either.

working on that full review! busy busy!

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #87 of 332
Thanks for your thoughts Tom22!

I don't have EPH-100 or T20 on-hand, but from memory our experience with them vs. AD01 is different - especially the EPH-100.

I owned the EPH-100 for awhile and never got anywhere close to the bass response I got from AD01. Tried every tip, and they just weren't working for me. I recently sold the EPH-100 because I found them pretty boring.

Right now, I'd put the AD01 above the EPH-100 in terms of enjoyment and if using wide bore tips like twister6 suggested tightens the bass and makes the mids more prominent, AD01's going to put the smackdown on EPH-100 fo sho!

I'd like to have AD01 and T20 on-hand together to A/B them. With the reference filter on, I got more prominent mids and highs with T20 and more textured bass.

I'd put the T20 ahead of the AD01 in terms of enjoyment and technicality but again will have to check when I have both back in my hands and can test AD01 with wide bore tips.

And just to be clear, the above aren't direct comparisons - just going on memory which can admittedly be misleading. So take those thoughts with a grain of salt :wink_face:

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #88 of 332
Thanks for your thoughts Tom22!

I don't have EPH-100 or T20 on-hand, but from memory our experience with them vs. AD01 is different - especially the EPH-100.

I owned the EPH-100 for awhile and never got anywhere close to the bass response I got from AD01. Tried every tip, and they just weren't working for me. I recently sold the EPH-100 because I found them pretty boring.

Right now, I'd put the AD01 above the EPH-100 in terms of enjoyment and if using wide bore tips like twister6 suggested tightens the bass and makes the mids more prominent, AD01's going to put the smackdown on EPH-100 fo sho!

I'd like to have AD01 and T20 on-hand together to A/B them. With the reference filter on, I got more prominent mids and highs with T20 and more textured bass.

I'd put the T20 ahead of the AD01 in terms of enjoyment and technicality but again will have to check when I have both back in my hands and can test AD01 with wide bore tips.

And just to be clear, the above aren't direct comparisons - just going on memory which can admittedly be misleading. So take those thoughts with a grain of salt :wink_face:

Did you ever try amping the EPH100s? They are somewhat boring to me also, that is, until I hook them up to my Cayin C5. Then it's like WOW!

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #89 of 332
So I just had these for a brief tour. I have not read anything from this thread, so my thoughts and impressions are entirely my own. That said, I did not have a good experience. I will leave my notes simply in point form...

- it's a nice box

- moderate size, moderate weight, even on smallest tip I still have a bit of trouble keeping it in my ears

- can't wear it over ear

- detachable cable, feels like good quality, but slightly microphonic from jiggling the earpiece, not much from friction

- upgraded cable: more flexible, softer, even less microphonic from friction, chin slider is nice addition

- nice semi-hard case, simple and functional

- good selection of silicon tips (single and double flange) and a foam, ten in total

- very strong bass emphasis, very deep reach and rumble, not the cleanest, kinda mushy, too much on bass heavy songs which come to the front and drown the mids

- feels like there's an additional boost way down in the lowest octave? like there's a bit of a dip just before the subbass hits?

- the hits/impact feel right, but then it feels drawn out longer than it should

- “lazy” feeling

- mids drop, feel recessed; that area is reasonably even though, so it only feels recessed in bass heavy songs

- mids are overall meh, I feel like there's something fuzzy here but can't really hear it over the bass

- treble comes in weak but peaks a bit

over time, get a pressure buildup in my ears

- fatiguing

- feels “heavy”

- can't listen very long, gets increasingly congested

- something is wrong here, the longer I listen, the more distorted it sounds

- after a few days, all I hear is the distortion now and it hurts my ears after a few seconds

- going back to other cans is like breathing a sigh of relief

soundstage - above my head? that's odd

feels like a blah $100 IEM to me (I have no idea what the price is), but then in this range I'd probably reach for a Shure SE215

the fit and sound signature didn't grok with me at all

fat and lazy, with a black striped copper cord... this is Garfield isn't it?

Finally some impressions that didn't come from the excessively enthusiastic hype train. We really need some more of that here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back