Alpha & Delta AD01
Jan 7, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #277 of 332
Hi, just picked up a pair of these and am very happy with the sound.   Found they needed a decent amount of EQ'ing within Neutron to bring out low mids of vocals, and I think I rolled back 250Hz, but bass is amazing right down to the bottom.    Using foam tips after experimenting with everything provided.   (Non upgraded cable)

Can any of you tell me how much benefit I would see from using a DAC/AMP with these headphones or just a DAC?   I am running straight out of Nexus 5 at the moment.    Volume is maxed but acceptable.      Would something like Dragonfly/Fiio help or are these IEM's kind of the limiting factor in improving the sound?   Thanks for your help.   

Mike

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #278 of 332
  Hi, just picked up a pair of these and am very happy with the sound.   Found they needed a decent amount of EQ'ing within Neutron to bring out low mids of vocals, and I think I rolled back 250Hz, but bass is amazing right down to the bottom.    Using foam tips after experimenting with everything provided.   (Non upgraded cable)

Can any of you tell me how much benefit I would see from using a DAC/AMP with these headphones or just a DAC?   I am running straight out of Nexus 5 at the moment.    Volume is maxed but acceptable.      Would something like Dragonfly/Fiio help or are these IEM's kind of the limiting factor in improving the sound?   Thanks for your help.   

Mike

Volume is maxed? Either the Nexus 5 is way underpowered or you are listening way too loud! The AD01 are not difficult to drive and sound very good out of a smartphone. I barely cross the 50% volume mark from my Z3.

In general I would not suggest spending much on a source as the law of diminishing return kicks in hard and fast with very small perceptible differences. You could look into the Cozoy Astrapi DAC/AMP for smartphones or the Fiio X3ii as a standalone DAP. Both will provide a cleaner signal to your earphone but don't expect a night and day difference in quality. The main difference will be in driving power. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #281 of 332
  What size Comply tips are compatible with these?

http://www.head-fi.org/products/alpha-delta-ad01/reviews/14045

Any comply or foam eartips that compatible for 4.5 mm nozzle.
I tried T500, it fits well.

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #283 of 332
Hisoundfi: Thanks for the review!

ekimwons: I can't comment specifically on AD01 until I get them back from Hisoundfi, but I will say that I generally find that I hear an audible improvement from using a dedicated DAP or Amp/DAC vs. my iPhone 5s when volume matched. YMMV, but that's my experience. omastic and I are both members of TEAM FLC, so there's respect. However, I wouldn't recommend Astrapi, finding it a quite "exaggerated" sound signature. I can see where some might like it, but for me it just didn't sound natural and sounded off with some of my BA IEM. That said, I found Cozoy Aegis (next step up) to be quite spectacular as far as sound is concerned.

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #284 of 332
@Hisoundfi: Thanks for the review!

@ekimwons: I can't comment specifically on AD01 until I get them back from @Hisoundfi, but I will say that I generally find that I hear an audible improvement from using a dedicated DAP or Amp/DAC vs. my iPhone 5s when volume matched. YMMV, but that's my experience. @omastic and I are both members of TEAM FLC, so there's respect. However, I wouldn't recommend Astrapi, finding it a quite "exaggerated" sound signature. I can see where some might like it, but for me it just didn't sound natural and sounded off with some of my BA IEM. That said, I found Cozoy Aegis (next step up) to be quite spectacular as far as sound is concerned.

Ah I see! Actually I never listened to the Astrapi, but I remember reading somewhere it is a good pairing with the AD01 and hence my statement above. My bad. By the way, FLC8s is in my radar but I am not yet in the team haha! Soon though, very soon. 

As for differences between sources, I can hear the differences as well but to me they only add that final last bit of refinement to iems. Whether this is worth it is very subjective. Now this is rather ironic coming from me as I own the Mojo and use it religiously for all of my listening purposes LOL! It is kind of a mental satisfaction more than anything else that I am feeding my iems with the cleanest possible signal.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #285 of 332
Are there any foam tips with narrow openings? I feel that the stock ones compromise on bass. They are definitely the best when it comes to comfort and isolation, but the silicone blue ones included in the package makes them detonate the songs.
I'm wondering if there are any similar tips but made of foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back