ALO's recabled AKG K701
Aug 2, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW! $680!?!?!?

You could buy 113.3 feet of Jena Labs wire with that kinda of money and do it yourself.

Lets say you want 2 meters of HP cable. Thats about 6.5 feet times 4= 26 feet of wire.

DIY would cost you $156 for the wire, and like ~$5 for the plug. so around $160 total.

Ken is making almost $520 in profit.

Plus it is arguable if the 701's are even worthy of such cable.

Flame on!

Doesn't the $680 price INCLUDE K701?

"ALO - Re cabled AKG701headphone Recabled using 22G Jena Labs Cryo wire, installed on a factory new AKG 701"

Anyway, I have the Jena wire on hand and tried recabling other 'phones. I don't particularly like its sound signature. It sounds a bit warmish and slightly opaque relatively speaking. I far prefer similar-AWG continous-cast magnet wire from Vampire.

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #18 of 26
Yea sorry I didn't know it included the 701.

Perfectly reasonable price.

My apologies.

Aug 3, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtevol1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering you can get a new AKG 701 shipped for $250, $430 for re-cabling just seems too steep. He is making a huge profit from the headphones and re-cabling.

I guess he doesn't sell his K701s for $250 shipped (not unlike others in the business). Has a business making a profit become a dirty word. Should he do this so you can save money and he should lose money?

I wonder if Ray, Mikhail, Justin, Tyll make profit on the stuff they sell. Probably not, I am sure they are in it so you can enjoy your music at the least cost to you.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #21 of 26
I guess he doesn't sell his K701s for $250 shipped (not unlike others in the business). Has a business making a profit become a dirty word. Should he do this so you can save money and he should lose money?

I wonder if Ray, Mikhail, Justin, Tyll make profit on the stuff they sell. Probably not, I am sure they are in it so you can enjoy your music at the least cost to you.

Quote:

The cost of his cable is way too expensive. Seems like the Black Dragon and Equinox cables are better options.

This would be true, if these cables on 701s sound better than the ALO cable. I've heard the BD and it didn't sound anywhere as good as the ALO cable, imo. I haven't seen an Equinox cable on the 701 but I love them for my K1000 and HD-600 but they are not cheap, either.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #22 of 26
Profit isn't a "dirty" word, but putting aside your seemingly pro-business sentiment for a sec, does it ever reach a point when there's too much of a profit? Interesting how you mention Tyll in your discussion. Notice how they don't sell (including Todd and Keith from American Tech) the headphone at market price as Ken does. Ken has every right to maximize his profit, but a potential customer also has the right to deem his package (headphone and cable) "exorbitant" when he/she is aware of equal, cheaper options.

dw6928 seems to rave about the Black Dragon on his K701. Interesting to read a different assessment.

I recognize that the Equinox isn't cheap.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #23 of 26
Well, I recently got a Blue Dragon 601 in a trade and I can say that the recabling is worth the $$. I actually LIKE this AKG and I'm a bit of a basshead. Not saying these are Darths but the mids and highs are damn good.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Profit isn't a "dirty" word, but putting aside your seemingly pro-business sentiment for a sec, does it ever reach a point when there's too much of a profit? Interesting how you mention Tyll in your discussion. Notice how they don't sell (including Todd and Keith from American Tech) the headphone at market price as Ken does. Ken has every right to maximize his profit, but a potential customer also has the right to deem his package (headphone and cable) "exorbitant" when he/she is aware of equal, cheaper options.

dw6928 seems to rave about the Black Dragon on his K701. Interesting to read a different assessment.

I recognize that the Equinox isn't cheap.

I understand your right to not purchase from Ken, I just don't understand why you go out of your way to take a shot at him because he is making more money than you believe he should. You make statements that are absolute as if you know what Ken pays for a pair of 701s and that it's the same as Headroom or Todd, how much overhead, amount of labor involved in what he does, the value of a product that makes the 701s sound better than any others I've heard (imo). Look, you have a right to say it but I don't get why you would bother.

Yes, there is a point where there is too much of a profit and each of us make that decision by refusing to purchase the item.

Aug 3, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look, you have a right to say it but I don't get why you would bother.

(1)Thank you for acknowledging that right. (2)Because it's a forum where people express opinions on audio-related material (which, to my knowledge, includes price assessment).

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, there is a point where there is too much of a profit and each of us make that decision by refusing to purchase the item.

Couldn't agree more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back