ALO V-DOCK HAS ARRIVED! PICS
Aug 20, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #361 of 388
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
compared to a computer based home stereo system, is like comparing a nice $200 quartz watch with a $3000 jeweled automatic.

They both keep good time (the required result), but the fun and the beauty of buying, selling, researching and comparing nice automatics is lost in using a quartz for all of your watch duties. The quartz is great when you are hanging out or playing sports, but I would want the detailed and hand crafted automatic when I go out to a nice restauraunt or to a watch meet.

There you go again Aaron. You dont want to insult but you do!

Fact is, you have not heard the iMOD V-Dock system and should not comment on its capabilities period!

Again you if want to say "In your opinion you dont think it would compare to a mid level cdp" fine! But I wont put the words in your mouth. Please say them yourself!

You take one foot out of the dodo and then put the other right back in again.

I am suprized at you are so addement to make this point as a matter of fact!
rolleyes.gif

Talking about what you thought was good in your college days vs what you have now and them asymilating it to the capability of a product you have not heard is snooty and pompas and really BLANKS me off!

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #362 of 388
^

He was making a fair assumption based on his prior experience with an iMod - sure, a V-Dock would conceivably improve the sound, but one component change (a coupling cap) will, fairly, not propel the unit into high-end-land.

Quote:

Fact is, you have not heard the iMOD V-Dock system and should not comment on its capabilities period!

Oh yes, because everyone on head-fi has heard every component they comment about. To be fair, without many points of reference to compare the iMod to, those reciprocal assessments of how good it sounds are just as baseless. I'd say most people who comment on anything at all haven't heard enough high-end audio (not just headphone) equipment to justifiably make quality comments any their equipment anyways! I've been to shows (CES, CEDIA) meets (head-fi) and auditioned a whole bunch of stuff and I don't feel in the least qualified to comment on much at all (because it still isn't enough)! But at least if you've heard a lot of equipment, one can have a good idea where other equipment can fall rather than saying "it's just as good as $xxxx CDPs" without even hearing more than a handful of $xxxx CDPs. Without doing so, such praise of any product is THE SAME if not worse than speculating about a product that is very, very similar to one they have heard before, even if it isn't the same thing.

Be fair, let people state opinions.

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #363 of 388
Wow Todd, I really think you are taking this too personally.
I did not repeat anything about it being comparable to a mid-level CDP.
I simply expressed my opinion about the V-Dock being used as the sole source for a home stereo system. Also, I believe that my last point focuses more on the fact that it eliminates the need for us Head-Fier's pursuing the thrill of the chase of constantly looking and listening to different components and tweaking, which is a large part of what we do here on this forum.

Even if I had a Burmester 001 and some $150,000 Wilson speakers, I would still be involved in the hobby, which includes constant listening and comparing. If the V-Dock is the end all and finalization of someone's home system, then they don't need to particpate in anymore threads here.

I'm not sure why you are getting so angry, and if people agree or diagree with me, please feel free to chime in here, but it was not my intent to make you so vexed with me.

I have explained myself, and none of this is personal (or at least I didn't intend it to be). I only hope you can let go of what I said, and we can go back to being friends again. I am holding out an Olive Branch here.

If not, you can't say that I didn't try.
cool.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #364 of 388
Quote:

Originally Posted by circularlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^

He was making a fair assumption based on his prior experience with an iMod - sure, a V-Dock would conceivably improve the sound, but one component change (a coupling cap) will, fairly, not propel the unit into high-end-land.

Knowone said ever High-end-land? I said mid level cdp land an I never comment on things I have not heard myself.

I have been in the professional audio industry as a high profile DJ/sound engineer since 1984 and have heard many systems with a list wayyyy to long to even try to remember. IMO if the V-dock/iMOD even comes close to a highly praised Rega 2K or Skylabs Rotel its quite an accomplishment and (IMO and SKYLAB's it does!) it should be praised not dismissed.

I have not heard an Apollo yet which would be a new highly prasied $1,000 cdp. I think this would be a good challenge for the V-dock/iMod maybe would could arrange a compared listen at the meet this sunday.

Anyone have an Apollo thats coming sunday?

I do not claim this is the end all be all of home audio so would people please stop making sound this way please!
plainface.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #365 of 388
well, a lesson learned today: don't insult a man's v-cap dock! it's like insulting the man's wife/gf when you haven't spent a minute with her....

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #366 of 388
Quote:

If not, you can't say that I didn't try.
cool.gif

Dude we are all good, what I cant get PO'ed at my friends?

So Im a little hot right now it is nothing to worry about. I just dont agree with your thought process on this one.

Im OK!!!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

I swear Im gonna duck tape my DT-990's to your head on Sunday till you say UNCLE!

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #367 of 388
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, a lesson learned today: don't insult a man's v-cap dock! it's like insulting the man's wife/gf when you haven't spent a minute with her....

Thanks aluren nice way to cut the ice!!!

[size=large]ROTFL!!![/size]
tongue.gif
3000smile.gif
tongue.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #368 of 388
Todd, my friend, you need to relax! Nothing Aaron said was insulting. He's simply stating his opinion! I share your enthusiasm for the iMod+VDock, but it's not a personal affront if others don't agree, even with the principle of the thing. That's their opinion.

Trust me, I have had people on head-fi accuse me (personally) of all kinds of stuff that was an ACTUAL personal attack. I have also over-reacted to stuff that wasn't; we all do. But we all have to work at not doing that - exchange of opinion is what makes head-fi fun!

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #370 of 388
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IM FINE IM FINE!!!!
wink.gif

OK, good - I want you to live long enough for your VCaps to fully break in
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #371 of 388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, good - I want you to live long enough for your VCaps to fully break in
biggrin.gif

That would be 1400 hours in dog years
cool.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #372 of 388
Quote:

That would be 1400 hours in dog years
cool.gif

Im pretty much at the 200hr mark now if fact it's running it at home as we speak. I dont want to have to explain caps arent burned in on Sunday!
cool.gif

I should be able to get 300+ hours if I cut down on my portable iMod use! I cant help it and usually take it to work for those rare moments I can listen.

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #375 of 388
I took a peak under the hood of the V-dock. I will not post pics so please do not ask.

All I will say is that I thought I was looking at a time bomb!
basshead.gif
Man the Caps are [size=small]BIG![/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back