ALO SXC Cryo Products
Nov 29, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #31 of 102
I'm just thinking out loud
smily_headphones1.gif
I won't have any problem to use the LOD SXC Cryo which is actually available here in Thailand at a good price.

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #32 of 102
Hmmmm, I'm guessing that Ken will get more money from me
smily_headphones1.gif

My plan is to get the new Pico DAC when it's released, so I'll need a new SXC RCA to RCA cable to feed my Cantate and a SXC mini to mini to feed my SR-71A. Let me sum up some numbers... and I really need to start saving some money
smily_headphones1.gif

Jokes aside, I really love these SXC cables. Not only their looks, but how they sound as well.

At first I bought a Cryo Dock from Ken, but after getting my current SXC LOD I started to believe that cables do make a difference. It's both warm and fast, very detailed and transparent. And I still want to get a sennheiser SXC cable in the future... my wallet really hates me
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #33 of 102
Gee, I really need to stop using that many smileys
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #34 of 102
FWIW: the ALO SXC 18G LOD is absolutely stunning when paired with an RSA Mustang!

I don't know how Ken @ ALO does it - it's a gift.
(like Ray with his amps).

If you are running a Mustang in your portable rig, and have $195 to spend, don't even think twice - get the SXC 18G LOD!

It brings out the Mustang's FULL potential (IIRC: it's what Ray uses!)

Best low frequencies I've ever heard, anywhere.

And, improved (sweeter, more detailed, more impactful) mids & highs.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #35 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW: the ALO SXC 18G LOD is absolutely stunning when paired with an RSA Mustang!

If you are running a Mustang in your portable rig, and have $195 to spend, don't even think twice - get the SXC 18G LOD!

How about the SXC mini-to-mini? I have a Sony DAP, so LOD is not possible. Would that be just as good?

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #36 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

AMEN to that.

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #37 of 102
ALO Jumbo X cryo silver make a great job too.
(maybe just better..Lol)

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #38 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the SXC mini-to-mini? I have a Sony DAP, so LOD is not possible. Would that be just as good?

Can't comment on Sony DAP headphone out quality,
but, the mini-to-mini version of the SXC should sound just as good (all other things being equal - in other words, if the Sony hp-out gives you a good clean signal).

With SXC, Ken @ ALO has developed a significant improvement to his previous products (which were fantastic).

What a Christmas season - 3 breakthrough products:
1. RSA Mustang
2. Westone 3's
3. SXC LOD's

It just doesn't get much better than this, does it?

(well, I guess some here were hoping for the Sennheiser HD800's this year (lol).

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #39 of 102
I guess that the SXC mini-to-mini will do a great job in your case.

I'll certainly get one when I get my Pico DAC to use with my SR-71A

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #40 of 102
Can someone comment on the use of the 22g (this is a portable set-up after all) Cryo SXC with an iPod Classic and an RSA Mustang? I'm concerned about the tight bend radius and the small amount of room on the Mustang for the jacks. Will the jack allow enough room for another decently sized plug for the headphones?

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #41 of 102
Thanks Sierra Hotel, just what I need to read about he synergy between the P-51 and the 18G SXC. Looks like I know where I'll be spending some money after the holiday. Very Evil!
devil_face.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #42 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Sierra Hotel, just what I need to read about he synergy between the P-51 and the 18G SXC. Looks like I know where I'll be spending some money after the holiday. Very Evil!
devil_face.gif

I just did some a/b testing last night among various LOD's, and my hat is off to Ken @ ALO. Don't know how he does it, but his recently developed SXC 18G sets a new standard in LOD SQ. I found the differences glaring - not subtle at all (compared to Cryo Dock and some very good "custom" LODs).

Concern over the bend & size of the SXC 18G was mentioned by others here:

Regarding the bend of an SXC 18G LOD for iPod 3G Nano / Mustang rig - no problem!
Just use the hairdryer method to heat the cable, bend and hold in C-shape until the insulation cools down, and it will be pretty much set (it takes stress off the Mustang input jack, and eliminates the LOD trying to push the bottom of your iPod "up").

Also, there is certainly enough "room" on the Mustang front panel for the SXC input jack + W3 input jack.

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #43 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
devil_face.gif

You're welcome.

That "incredible lightness of wallet" feeling certainly is contagious around here, isn't it?

(Let us know how much improvement your ears notice, when you add the SXC 18G to your rig)

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #44 of 102
I just received my 18ga SXC and contrary to my fears it's just the right size. It's really not any bulkier than the Qables Silvercab Switchcraft I was using previously.

I do like this cable!

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #45 of 102
Thanks for the feedback and inputs here guys. I think the most surprising thing that I did not see coming was the bass response on these ipod cables. I have several people independently write with the same observations. Basically the low notes are extended longer and deeper and this is not resolved with some of the other cables I have on the line up. I hear low notes that I have not heard before and I love the "rumble" sounds. I did not see that coming but its a real welcome feature for sure. The cable (ALO SXC Cryo) has been easily our best selling cable. I want to thank all who ordered one.

Cheers

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back