ALO Pan AM + HE-500/HD650/SRH1840/T90
Jan 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

statmoe

New Head-Fier
Apologies if this post is in the wrong place as I'm new to the forums here...  I'm looking for feedback from some members who've listened to the ALO Pan Am w/ the following headphones I'm interested in:

1) HE-500 
2) HD650
3) SRH1840
4) T90

I'm trying to determine which pairing would have the best synergy w/ the ALO Pan AM?  I've read that the LCD-2 pairs well with this AMP/DAC but I'm hoping to purchase locally and the options listed above are what I have to choose from (in my price range atm).

I listen to a variety of different music (mainly classic rock though) so I'm looking for something that has great soundstage, detail, musicality and isn't too "bright" or harsh.  If there's any information I can provide which would make this process any easier please let me know and I'll gladly provide additional details.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

*** I'd just like to note that I've done some pretty thorough digging and have had a tough time finding information on synergy beyond the rave reviews of the LCD-2 and the Pan AM. Come on Head-Fi'ers!!! PLEASE HELP!!! ***

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 16
I can certainly ride that opinion. The LCD-2 (or 3) is a great pair. Of the phones you listed, all work flawlessly, but the HD650 may be a bit too cushy with the Pan Am as both ride a bit on the warm side. That said, if laid back and emotive are good game for you, then that may well be the best you can do for your money.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 16
Thank you very much for the feedback!

I ended up selecting the HE-500 w/ Pan Am and am very pleased so far.

Anyone w/ the Pan Am have any suggestions on the best tubes?

Cheers!

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 16
If you could give me an extremely brief pro/con of each that would really help me to answer your question.  I'm relatively new to this and don't have a particularly musical background so please forgive me.  I'm guessing signal stability would give you consistency but might take some of the fun out of the sound?  Dynamics meaning the volume variance/details of the music?  If I've guessed anywhere near correctly I'd prefer dynamics (assuming no major drawbacks).

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
If you could give me an extremely brief pro/con of each that would really help me to answer your question.  I'm relatively new to this and don't have a particularly musical background so please forgive me.  I'm guessing signal stability would give you consistency but might take some of the fun out of the sound?  Dynamics meaning the volume variance/details of the music?  If I've guessed anywhere near correctly I'd prefer dynamics (assuming no major drawbacks).

I've laid out the pro's and cons of each in my review of the Pan Am. I hope it helps you. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
Can the Pan Am drive the HE-500s well?

I find it to be satisfactory but I've been told the Pan Am is better suited to higher [size=12.222222328186035px]Ω [/size]headphones.

Quote:
I've laid out the pro's and cons of each in my review of the Pan Am. I hope it helps you. 

Thank you shigzeo.  Much appreciated.  I'll give the russian tubes a shot!

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

I find it to be satisfactory but I've been told the Pan Am is better suited to higher [size=12.222222328186035px]Ω [/size]headphones.

Thank you shigzeo.  Much appreciated.  I'll give the russian tubes a shot!

Of course, I like the Russian tubes quite a bit, but that doensn't mean you will. I find their performance to sit the fence between the Germany and Chinese ones. The differences between each aren't world-changing, but are noticeable and you will likely find a favourite. The Telefunken valves are interesting, too.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

The Pan Am is made for high Ω headphones, though it does well with anything over 64-80Ω. With earphones, you are mostly fine with dynamic drivers, experiencing only some bottom end roll off if your earphone is highly sensitive and has low Ω. With balanced armatures, it is another tail. You may love the sound - that's nothing anyone can gainsay, but the Pan Am is at its best driving proper full sized headphones.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #12 of 16
The Pan Am is made for high Ω headphones, though it does well with anything over 64-80Ω. With earphones, you are mostly fine with dynamic drivers, experiencing only some bottom end roll off if your earphone is highly sensitive and has low Ω. With balanced armatures, it is another tail. You may love the sound - that's nothing anyone can gainsay, but the Pan Am is at its best driving proper full sized headphones.

Thanks, I'm just worried about orthos and planers..mad dogs/he-500/LCD2/3. How does it do with say 600 ohm beyers?

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
Thanks, I'm just worried about orthos and planers..mad dogs/he-500/LCD2/3. How does it do with say 600 ohm beyers?

It worked very well with the Mad Dogs when I tried the two together. Earphones, with high sensitivities and low Ω are very different to less sensitive headphones. THe 600Ω Beyers are a breeze for the Pan Am. Simply a breeze. In fact, it turned them into desktop speakers. I'd never heard them at such volumes with such clean output outside of an old souped up Blockhead.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
It worked very well with the Mad Dogs when I tried the two together. Earphones, with high sensitivities and low Ω are very different to less sensitive headphones. THe 600Ω Beyers are a breeze for the Pan Am. Simply a breeze. In fact, it turned them into desktop speakers. I'd never heard them at such volumes with such clean output outside of an old souped up Blockhead.

Thanks again Shigzeo, maybe i'll shoot the guys at ALO an email or give em a call. They are always willing to talk about their stuff, I've called in the past and they're cool about just answering questions.

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Thanks again Shigzeo, maybe i'll shoot the guys at ALO an email or give em a call. They are always willing to talk about their stuff, I've called in the past and they're cool about just answering questions.

By all means, ring them up, they are a very helpful and good group of blokes (and blokets if I'm not mistaken).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back