ALO Double Mini3 amp
Oct 15, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #31 of 89
Well I'm interested in seeing how much it is
tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #32 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, this amp is a Mini³ v2 high-performance edition, I understand that the ALO folks made some capacitor substitutions. Sorry if the name is confusing, I am not sure if KB knew about the (which is indeed a different beast, although they are both 3-channel active ground designs) when he selected the name for this amp.

KB told me that he did extensive listening and comparisons, and really liked the Mini³.

Correct, thanks AMB.

Again. The pricing for the package deals will listed probably over the weekend when I get back to my shop. The amp will sell for $265 and comes with a good rechargable 9V and 110V US charger. I will be able to make the package deals

(one amp that comes with a ALO LOD and there will be several to choose from)
(amp and a pair of Sleek Audio SA6s)

these will be priced nicely.

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 15, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #33 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amp will sell for $285 and comes with a good rechargable 9V and 110V US charger.

Could you describe the increase in performance i would get from your version of the amp compared to one i can get from MisterX or Rockhopper audio which sells for half the price?

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #34 of 89
Do you have a plan to provide 220V charger for European/Asian customer?

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #35 of 89
Quote:

Correct, thanks AMB.

Again. The pricing for the package deals will listed probably over the weekend when I get back to my shop. The amp will sell for $285 and comes with a good rechargable 9V and 110V US charger. I will be able to make the package deals

(one amp that comes with a ALO LOD and there will be several to choose from)
(amp and a pair of Sleek Audio SA6s)

these will be priced nicely.

Thanks

Ken

Hi Ken

Sorry, but this question has not been answered.

How is this amp different from the high performance ones offered by the DIY builders like Rockhopper or Mr X?

Thanks

USG

Oct 16, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #36 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ken

Sorry, but this question has not been answered.

How is this amp different from the high performance ones offered by the DIY builders like Rockhopper or Mr X?

Thanks

USG

I am not familiar with other buliders and what they are doing, all I can say is we are using upgraded resistors and Black Gate caps (used in parallel) with the resistors in the signal path. Also the knob is metal and of course

the front and back plates are exquisitly engraved. I am sure there will be some user reviews soon.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #37 of 89
Quote:

...all in the signal path and all in key areas.

Ken

It's a DC coupled amp. Why would you add caps to the signal path?

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #38 of 89
Quote:

Black Gate caps (used in parallel)- all in the signal path and all in key areas.

Forgive my 'ignorance', but the Mini^3 is fully DC coupled. It says right there on AMB's website under the tech highlights section.

The benefit of DC coupling of course, is that there aren't any caps in the signal path. So what exactly is deliberately putting caps in the signal path, even Black Gates, going to improve?

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #39 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a DC coupled amp. Why would you add caps to the signal path?

correct I worded that poorly, the BG caps are power supply and the resistors are in the signal path.

I am doing all this off a iPhone in a car. I'm not driving :)

Kb

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #41 of 89
i can't say whether these "mods" are going to make any improvement in the sound quality of the amp or not, but completely changing the name of amb's property seems wrong to me.

intentional or not, this is going to 1) mislead unwitting customers into believing this is a unique amp designed by ALO, while 2) doing a great disservice to amb by not giving credit where credit is due.

other audio companies mod pre-existing gear and charge higher prices, but i've never heard of one obliterating the original name of the product. personally, i hope you reconsider the front panel, and put "Mini^3" somewhere back on it.

imho.

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #42 of 89
More confusing is that the name should have been MMini^3, since a Mini^3 is very different than a M^3.

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #43 of 89
Guys, you are all (perhaps w/ the best of intentions) spliting hairs. Why don't we all wait for the reviews to come in?

Perhaps some of you could volunteer to be testers and hopefully compare it w/ other portable amps. I am sure that Ken would entertain a couple of testers.

So send Ken a PM or email. Personally I have listened to the Mini^3 and at its price it is a killer unit. I do hope this version makes it better.

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #44 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, you are all (perhaps w/ the best of intentions) spliting hairs. Why don't we all wait for the reviews to come in?

Just trying to understand it better
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm particularly keen to see which caps are replaced, replaced with what, and how they fit in the case. Looking at the Mini^3 schematic, the two power caps in parallel are C3A and C3B, both 470µF 16V with AMB calling for a max height of 15mm. I can't find any Black Gates at 470µF 16v at less than 24mm in height. This suggests to me that a smaller capacitance might have been used, or physically larger caps have been shoe-horned in somehow.

Of course, this is only from Sonic Craft, Michael Percy and Parts Connexion catalogues, so I may be missing something......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back