ALO Double Mini3 amp
Oct 18, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #61 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, i did read all the posts before making mine. i made no claims about your mods or your intentions, and stated so up front. my concerns were stated matter-of-factly and i thought, diplomatically. i was also careful to use the term "unwitting" when describing the potential customers who might be mislead, which seems like a sensible enough notion.

as for the naming of the amp, i expressed my opinion, hence the terms "to me," "personally," and "imho." of course , you were under no obligation to take my suggestion, as was anybody else. it was merely my opinion, and i stand by it.

i truly applaud your decision and think it it is the right one. kudos to you. i think the Mini^3 is a great and underrated portable amp, and if you can get it into more hands, all the better. again, this is just my opinion and nothing more.

PhaedrusX,

Cool thanks and appreciate your thoughts on this. When this run of them is done I have the plate maker changing the Double M3 to Double Mini3 to cease any confusion.

Kb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 18, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #64 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowmark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does this Amp compare to the Hornet?

I hear it as being "thicker" with far more authority and weight, not muddy though. I am still waiting for a report from Skylab but I can honestly say that I like the Double Mini3 better. Granted the play time is shorter than Hornet and the Hornet is beautifully built, and solid. Also the internal parts of the Double mini3 is much more fragile and delicate. I recommend that you be extremely careful if you open it it, changing the battery etc. There are a lot of parts on that board.

I sold bunch yesterday so user reports should be posting very soon. Again Ti Kan's design is brilliant, it only reckons that it translates into a winner.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 24, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #65 of 89
Does this amp need burning times to give this maximum potential ?

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #68 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I very much doubt it. It is DC coupled, so there are no signal path caps that can change the sound character.

Yes, that's right, there are no caps in the signal path, but it's the same case with predator which needs 900 hours (due to the cap 25 000 uf in the power signal).
So I don't know if it's the same case with the Double mini.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #69 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that's right, there are no caps in the signal path, but it's the same case with predator which needs 900 hours (due to the cap 25 000 uf in the power signal).

No offense, but that makes no sense at all. It takes a small fraction of a second for a capacitor to charge in a circuit like that. I don't know if it "burns-in" or not, but it certainly doesn't take 900 hours for the capacitor to charge so you can't make an easy link like that between the value of the capacitor and the "burn-in" time.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #70 of 89
have you test the Predator ?
i don' t think.
there is nothing link bw time of charging a cap and it's time to burn.
it's more chimical.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #71 of 89
Quote:

have you test the Predator ? i don' t think.

Yes, I've tried a fully-burned Predator and didn't like it, but that's not the matter here.

Quote:

there is nothing link bw time of charging a cap and it's time to burn.
it's more chimical.

Would you care to give me a scientific explanation? I don't think you can. I'm not arguing whether burn-in exists or not, I'm just saying you can't back statements like "Predator needs 900 hours" with facts.

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #72 of 89
Uh oh here comes a believer non-believer fight,

This may not be the right thread.........but......

popcorn.gif

Dave

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #73 of 89
Not the right Thread.
the question was just if the ALO amp need Burning time.
Thanks.

Oct 25, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #74 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I've tried a fully-burned Predator and didn't like it, but that's not the matter here.

Would you care to give me a scientific explanation? I don't think you can. I'm not arguing whether burn-in exists or not, I'm just saying you can't back statements like "Predator needs 900 hours" with facts.

I have had the opportunity to compare side by side a Hornet w/ 300 hours and one w/ 600+ hours. Also a Tomahawk w/ about 400 hours and one w/ over 800 hours. In those two particular cases there was no comparison the ones w/ more burn in sounded better.

Then the owner of the two amps w/ less hours burnt them in and caught up w/ mine. We got together again and then the amps sounded the same. Just my experience w/ RSA amps. I have had similar results w/ Xin amps. Just my $0.02

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #75 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had the opportunity to compare side by side a Hornet w/ 300 hours and one w/ 600+ hours. Also a Tomahawk w/ about 400 hours and one w/ over 800 hours. In those two particular cases there was no comparison the ones w/ more burn in sounded better.

Then the owner of the two amps w/ less hours burnt them in and caught up w/ mine. We got together again and then the amps sounded the same. Just my experience w/ RSA amps. I have had similar results w/ Xin amps. Just my $0.02

And I don't argue with this, because you voiced your opinion in a reasonable way. The results of capacitor burn-in vary from "none at all" for some users to "huge amelioration" in the experience of others. I replied to Rico67 because he stated that the Predator needs 900 hours of burn-in, but it's far from being a fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back